Extra documentation requested

Hi all,

We were recently approved for a long international sit but now the HO has approached us with a request to provide a copy of our passports, drivers licenses and background check. Is that a common request? It did put us at a bit of uneasiness to provide all that extra information.

Hi @BunnyCat No that’s not at all common, well at least I’ve never been asked for any of those things. I’ve only been asked for e.g. a copy of my driving licence and/or passport if the owner is leaving me their car to use and they need certain documentation from me for their insurance company.
Where is the sit? Personally I’d probably move on to another sit as this would be a bit of a red flag to me. But, I wonder if you’re their first sitter through TH? If so then they might be nervous. I can’t see your profile so assume you’re experienced and have lots of good reviews? Wonder what else they might expect of you….

1 Like

Uncommon, particularly since we’ve already done all that and it’s confirmed through THS. However, it wouldn’t really bother me to provide the passport and driver’s licence if it would put their minds at ease.

Not sure how they’d do a background check for sitters from another country, but if they wanted it, they’d have to be the ones to pay for it.

Is this their first time having a sitter thru THS?

1 Like

Hi @BunnyCat this is not common practice, in 200+ sits I’ve only been asked for passport & DL once, I already had a CBC through volunteering in Canada. The members were new and this was their first sit, six weeks in NY.

I had no issues with the request, also we really wanted to do the sit. We had an amazing sit experience and have been friends and sitters with this couple for over 8 years. I’m sitting for them again in the San Diego home in September.

It really is up to the individual and whether or not this is something you feel comfortable doing.

3 Likes

Angela: Would it be possible for sitters to get a copy of their BG check from Evident, if a HO ever requests to see this? I just got an e-mail saying that I was clear. I don’t really want a copy now, but was curious to see if getting a copy was an option, if ever requested. Thanks! Lynn

2 Likes

Hi Lynn … that would be a question for the Membership Services Team, I will tag @Therese and she can pick up next time she is online.

1 Like

It has happened to us a few times, but only one person on THS requested this. This particular HO also wanted us to sign a lengthy contract, but she cancelled the sit 2 days before. Never again. We understand if people who contact us privately want our documents, though (since there’s no platform that has verified our data). To actually get a background check I would have to go in person to the police station where I’m registered (which is 1000 km away from where we’re now).

1 Like

We would be open to further discussion regarding the request, but would want to know why the additional documentation was being requested as we have never had to provide in the past.

As we all know, communication and ongoing conversations is key with THS.

@Southernsitter Yes, if you would like a copy of your DB check, Evident will provide this so best to email them directly with this request.
Kind regards
Therese

1 Like

I don’t know about USA, but In the EU, we have these privacy laws (GDPR). One of its principles is to reduce the private information you need to share. Asking for a copy of a passport is a very strong NO. Even in a hotel or for car hire, they cannot take of copy (although it still happens too often), they can ask to see it but nothing more. No private person has any right for whatever reason to ask for a copy of a passport in Europe. There is also quite some information that they don’t want this copying because it makes it easier to take over your identity…I would never ever send a copy of my passport. This is why THS has this DB check.

3 Likes

This is not common in my experience, unless I am being given use of a car and added to the insurance policy. As a US-based sitter who already has to reveal more private information for a background check than is required of sitters anywhere else in the world, or any of the homeowners, this does not sit well with me. I suppose if I really wanted the sit I would say, “Sure. Just as soon as you provide me with a copy of your documents.”

2 Likes

I thought the DB check had been dropped by THS?