Insurance

Hi Forumites; I need all the information I can get about where & with which companies you get travel insurance please. Particular areas of importance are:

• Expat / non UK based cover. We are Brits but live in Italy, where insurance is diabolical.

• Over 65’s cover. One of us has hit retirement age.

• Pre-existing conditions cover.

• Annual policies.

• Unusual travel - such as cargo ship voyages. Neither of us will do any reckless activities but some things out of the ordinary can send insurers into apoplexy.

And…GO!

3 Likes

Excellent topic @Saltrams a very relevant inclusion in any policy would be COVID cover, particularly for those considered “high risk”

2 Likes

I’ve no idea about cover for ex pats living in Italy. I was travelling for 9 months and had trouble getting insurance to cover me for what was a ‘backpacker’ type trip (they assume backpackers are young, I’m 63). I used Staysure but you’ll need to check them out to see if they can help with your situation. Sorry can’t be more helpful!
Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi, We’ve used Direct Travel Insurance in the past. You may wish to check out.

4 Likes

Thank you; all suggestions are helpful & I will certainly follow them up. I agree about the backpacker thing, there’s a plethora of policies out there for gap-year students (because they are so notoriously careful with their possessions and lifestyle :roll_eyes:)
A gap in the market - “Silver Nomads” Insurance maybe?

3 Likes

Thank you; all suggestions are helpful & I will certainly follow them up. Maybe when the forum goes live I will have a wider audience for suggestions :thinking:

1 Like

I love your sense of humour!
Hope you find a suitable policy.

2 Likes

I’ve used them also in the past and they were excellent. Competitively priced too as I remember!

1 Like

Might be worth checking out World Nomads or SafetyWing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Have bookmarked both sites. Thank you :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Yes agree, both of them worth checking out too.

2 Likes

Trawick International have COVID cover and seem comprehensive. I’ll be using them on my next trip.

2 Likes

Thank you @zoemac, I’ve never heard of them but an immediate check of the Website shows that this could be exactly what we need - for USA at the very least, which is always the most challenging part of trip insurance. I’m so grateful.
This is a great example of @TrustedHousesitters Forum’s purpose and community support :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

So helpful. Thank you, Julie! -Becky

1 Like