Travel Insurance

Hi - I’ve been thinking about travel insurance a lot since Covid and want to know if other house sitters just take out normal ‘holiday’ travel insurance, or if they specifically find a ‘house sitters’ travel insurance. I have really good holiday travel insurance at the moment where I can stay abroad for up to 90 days per trip as many times as I want each year.

What travel insurance do other sitters go for?

2 Likes

Hello @TravellingWitch. Very good question. Just make sure that your travel insurance covers COVID issues. Mine just included it recently. But they advised me that they were not responsible to find me an hospital if the ones around were already at full capacity. :frowning: As I was planing to go from Canada to USA, I had a second thought and decided to safely stay home. I’m 64.

3 Likes

We had a couple of previous insurance threads; I found this one very helpful for suggestions
Insurance
and this one was more specific
Long Term Insurance
Hope these help you too :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you @Saltrams. Very helpful. One name that does come up is @HousesittingMag at House Sitting Magazine. I did email her, but regret no response this time. I will check out the companies mentioned in the threads you recommended. Have a good day :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you @Brigitte. I am in the UK and so far any insurance company I have looked at covers covid 19 no problem - and I have spoken to a couple too. It’s more about whether it should be ‘house sitting’ insurance or normal ‘travel insurance’. Shame you can’t travel as you wished. In the UK countries have to be on our ‘Air Corridor’ list to be covered by travel insurance companies. If they are not, then we would not be covered.

2 Likes

Thank you @Provence. I am in the UK so different travel insurance companies. Good to connect.

1 Like

@TravellingWitch Hello … I see a mention of an email. Haven’t seen anything I am afraid. When did you send?

We used World Nomads until we changed to Safety Wing who cover Covid. Problem is they aren’t cheap as you age or if you need cover in the US.

We are in Europe at moment so covered under our European reciprocal health care until end of year.

I will be researching again in December so will feed back here with what I find.

Re email… Who are you in real life :wink: ? It’s difficult to look out for someone when you don’t know real names. Cheers, Vanessa Anderson

2 Likes

Insurance?..PHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTtttttt!!!

Health. Home. Life. Auto, Dental. Pet. Flood.

Now, COVID

Insure yourself, avoid the Insurance Racket

1 Like

Thank you Vanessa - I have emailed you privately. Thank you for responding. I will look at World Nomads and Safety Wings. You are a mine of information. Keep well :blush:

1 Like

Sorry - should have added @HousesittingMag

1 Like

When we booked our first international travel sit I checked with our travel insurance provider to see if we were covered if we or the homeowner had to cancel and we were told “yes”. Our regular travel insurance provider has a clause that if a “host” (which would be considered the homeowner in such a situation) had to cancel us coming due to reasons such as illness, injury, death, etc. that we would be reimbursed. We did end up having this happen where we had booked a sit and just a couple of nights prior to our departure, the homeowner was injured and had to cancel the sit and we were fully reimbursed.

3 Likes

Good to know Annette. Thank you for your response.

1 Like

I’m going to reopen this topic with a slightly different slant. Our travel/health insurance cost is horrendous. We are aged 60 and 66. Anyone got any good suggestions for cheaper travel/health insurance for worldwide cover? You mention USA and it doubles.

This is a tough one and gets tougher the more years we add on. There are so many variables, biggest where we originate from and what we have become used to.

My health insurance is not only US bound it is State bound which means no coverage outside of my state of residence. So this is what I attempt to do.

Go home and get regular recommended exams, testing etc at least once a year.
When I travel, I get the travel insurance offered when I make my booking.
For example on this occasion the insurance covers me for 7 months. It starts tomorrow through end of July. It includes trip cancellation, lost luggage, refund for my flight if cancelled by airline or due to illness. Covid coverage, return back home due to illness or medical emergency, and access to recommended places to get care medical care while abroad with a very small cap and of course no coverage for pre-existing.
It was incredibly inexpensive under $100.
I can only say do your best in your research as it is different in every country.
I am exploring other alternative options including establishing residency in another country as I look towards the future. Somewhere where healthcare is more affordable (than in the US) and easier to access. Like I said, it’s a tough decision but it’s a reality.
I want to be proactive in my own healthcare and it gets more difficult to get new coverage the older one gets.

1 Like

Amparo
Who is you provider. I have been buying the Allianz annual policy for about $250/year. Just submitted a claim for the unrefunded train tickets for the Dec UK sit. All my other expenses were refunded - air ticket, hotels while in the 2 day quarantine and 1 train ticket.
tom

2 Likes

I will DM you @toml

I’m going to be very nosey, how old are the travellers? Or maybe less nosey, are you over 65?

We are older than you :slight_smile:
I am 66 1/2 and yep my pic is very recent.

Hi @Amparo ,
I haven’t started researching this yet, beginning with contacting my present health insurer to see what they will cover out of country, but I would also be interested in the name of the health insurer you use for overseas travel.
Thanks!

1 Like

It’s Allianz but I didn’t know they had an annual plan! Just learned that today.
It’s very reasonable.

2 Likes