Is it wrong to ask owners if they have been vaccinated?

Is it wrong to ask owners if they have been vaccinated?

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s wrong to ask but would you trust their answer without seeing the evidence

2 Likes

This is a good point!
How can have certainty about this point?
And do I have the right to do so?

How about saying: " if you have been vaccinated, I am comfortable with doing a handover in person. If not, I’d prefer to have very clear instructions and arrive as soon as you’ve left" (or whatever you are comfortable with of course)

It’s a less direct way to ask…

5 Likes

Thank you Els for your suggestion…

2 Likes

For me it is very important that the sitter staying in my home is vaccinated, not only because the handover is more comfortable, but because of many things a non-vaccinated person will not be able to do around here in the future.

I just set up a document for sitters with things to do in the area and I don’t want to update it constantly for vaccinated and non-vaccinated people.

As we both are vaccinated, I put it right on top where we introduce ourselves in the listing so it’s hard to miss.

I also feel better with like minded sitters. If someone declines the free offer for vaccination he/she doesn’t share the same principles on this matter.

8 Likes

Hello Heike,
I understand your position but this is not responding to the question.

1 Like

As a healthcare professional (retired) this is sensitive and personal information, part of someone’s medical history. You can certainly ask but they do not have to answer or provide evidence. It’s one of those situations where you have to use your best judgement on what feels is right for you.
In any situation that either party is uncomfortable, with anything in the interview/intake process, trust that feeling.

5 Likes

Well, right, I didn’t answer it directly. What I wanted to say is that it goes both ways. As a HO I wouldn’t be affronted by the question, quite the opposite, and if someone doesn’t want to answer the question, no matter if it’s HO or HS, it might not be the right match.
I think asking is fine but it might be that the question isn’t answered :wink:

5 Likes

danihuard
I don’t see the harm in asking for proof when you submit your application as an honest person would surely not have any problem with proving their vaccination validation

4 Likes

No, I do not think its wrong to ask. The answer leaves you to decide whether to proceed.

We make note in our profile and application letter that we are both fully vaccinated.

We’ve just completed our first sit since the pandemic started and we exchanged proof of vaccination with the HO and answered the ministry of health questions.

We’ve also just applied and been accepted for our first international sit this fall and along with noting our vaccination status, made note in our application letter that we are fully aware of the country and region’s Covid protocols.

8 Likes

Personally, (I’m a HO), I think either party should be able to ask the other side anything that they feel concerned about… The other party can either answer/provide evidence of not, whatever they feel comfortable with and then the questioner can decide as a result of their answer if they feel happy with continuing with the sit… Hope that makes sense!!!:joy:

15 Likes

I would ask. And I would also volunteer the fact that both my husband I are fully vaccinated.

4 Likes

I state I’m vaccinated at the top of my profile for any homeowners to see. I’d like to think that there is a certain amount of trust needed for someone to open their home and take care of their pets - that overall health would be in their best interest. But then again, people are weird. So all I can do is put my best foot forward and see what comes my way.

5 Likes

This is the case within the health care system, but HIPPA but does not apply to a personal transaction. A HO or HS, for that matter, can request any document they want. The person who is being asked has no obligation to comply but may lose the chance to be selected.

5 Likes

Hi @mars you are right and That is exactly my point. There is no right or wrong here. It is a matter of choice, personal preference and between the individuals involved.
Some people don’t want meat eaters in their kitchen.
The key is clear and honest communication.

4 Likes

I indicate my vaccination status in my message applying to sit (I was fully vaccinated by the end of Feb 2021). And I ask the folks I’m sitting for about their status if they don’t share it themselves.
I don’t ask to see a vaccine card - maybe that is too trusting or naive.

2 Likes

For us, the question and answer is mandatory. We don’t ask for documentation and trust the owner is telling the truth.

3 Likes

With respect, I think you know perfectly well that no ‘non-vaccinated’ people would expect you to update a document whenever there is a change in government policy…

I think we have all seen how divisive this issue has been, affecting friends and family relationships the world over, so basing a decision on whether a sitter is like-minded or not due to their current vaccine status is a very slippery slope.

3 Likes

No, I don’t know perfectly well, because I am new to this kind of pet sitting, sorry about this. However, what about when the sitter doesn’t speak German? Even for us it’s not easy to keep track of all the regulations, which are constantly changing and differ from one federal state to the next. Most of these you find on websites but not in English!
It actually doesn’t matter to me if the sitter would expect this kind of information but I would want to have the information provided up to date. These are MY standards and I wouldn’t feel good if they weren’t correct.
I don’t see anything slippery with assuming that people who don’t want to be vaccinated are not on the same opinion level as we are.
As you stated there has been a lot of discussions about this and this is my personal experience. As choosing a sitter also is a very personal decision for this topic to me it is one of the many indications wether someone may fit or not.

2 Likes