Does anyone ask if the HO are vaccinated?

Hello everyone I am new here and I am applying to some sits that will be in the next couple months potentially. The vaccine topic in itself feels tricky to put out there. I am fully vaccinated and booster & this is included in my profile. If i do get a interview with a potential HO sit is anyone asking if they are vaccinated? Especially now with the new variant so highly contagious. Just so curious how others are handling this or any advice for me. Thank you in advance.

4 Likes

Yes……I have to make 10 characters so I’ll say yes again.

I’ve thought about this a little more and wonder why people have got a problem asking this simple question. I am all for freedom to do what you want to do with your body, life etc.
Every single one of us has the right to get vaccinated or not and, in my opinion, no one has the right to argue about that that right. So, what is wrong asking if they are vaccinated or not. It’s not a judgmental question. The person asking just wants to know so THEY can then make a decision whether they want to do the sit or not.

There are so many circumstances that we need to know something so that we can make the correct decision for ourselves. This is one of them.

13 Likes

All the last sits asked if I was vaccinated and gave me their own status.

4 Likes

Hi @Robin and welcome to the community. A sitter has just as much right to ask about HO vaccination as they have of us but we all must respect one another’s decision. In my profile I state I am double vaccinated (not able to have booster yet). In my application I again state I am double vaccinated and hope the HO is too. If not, I ask them to decline my application. Simple as that!

7 Likes

Hi. I agree with all comments and suggestions posted so far. I have been fortunate enough (my opinion) to have had homeowners who want to share that they are fully vaccinated and follow strict covid protocols. It’s been an easy conversation. If someone was very much against vaccination, I feel we likely would not align on other topics. I would see it as a red flag for me (you’ll read about those in other posts), and so I would withdraw my application.

13 Likes

Thank you! You are so right about that. Great point. You definitely empowered me to feel confident going forward with asking any questions I have. I’m glad you thought it about it some more and added this. :muscle:t2:

3 Likes

Perfect!! This helped so much. Thank you

Yes I think that is what I was feeling. I appreciate your response.

1 Like

I would and have. If someone is insulted that I would ask, I would assume (rightly or wrongly) that they are not vaccinated and would probably not apply for the sit.

7 Likes

If you’re ever not sure if someone is telling the truth, ask “which one?”

If they say, “Oh, I don’t remember” or the like, they are not vaccinated. Uh, we who are vaccinated all know exactly which one we got!

And yes, I know of people who do lie, including a house guest of close friends. My friends are 60, and one has a lung condition. This young woman they’ve known for years flat out lied to them, saying she is vaccinated (she and her family all had covid). She let it slip toward the end of the stay.

#TeamModernax3

3 Likes

Hi @Robin
I agree with everyone else and ask this question of the HOs.
I would decline the sitting if they were not vaccinated.

2 Likes

Totally, you should feel happy enough to ask whatever you like and base your decision on their answer or lack of it! As a HO I always ask potential sitters about their vaccination status, and would rule out anyone who has chosen not to have them, but would still consider anyone who is unable to haved the vaccination for medical reasons…… and yes there is an element of trust here as I have no intention of prying into why they cannot have it……

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply it’s greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Love that. Good point, I appreciate the empowered reply. I am team Modernax3 too :mask:

2 Likes

Thank you all helped me so much. It is a good reminder for me to use my voice if I am not comfortable sitting for a home that chooses not to be vaccinated.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your reply!

1 Like

Thank you for your thoughtful reply back. Glad to read you do the same thing as a HO.

Thank you for the welcome and the great link and quote. That really helps!!

2 Likes

I ask and I also share in my initial application that I am fully vaccinated and boostered. (I also share that even though vaccinated I did have a + test in November and now a - test in December.)

2 Likes

Funnily only the non-vaccinated people do have a problem with that question :wink:
All vaccinated people freely, and most of the time proudly, tell you when, how many and which type of shots they received. So, I would certainly welcome a sitter to ask, because even if I write it in my listing that we only accept fully vaccinated and, because of Omicron, also boostered sitters, you never know if the applicants read all of it. My experience shows that we’re likeminded and besides, I would not want to know what would happen if the sitter got seriously sick during the time we’re away.
For myself, as my job as a flight attendant is highly affected by this pandemic, I do not believe anymore that it’s one’s own decision to take the vaccination. It’s a question of responsibility to all of us and I don’t want to have anything to do anymore with those who don’t behave responsible. It is simply beyond me why this is such a huge problem for unfortunately too many people.

13 Likes