Is it wrong to ask owners if they have been vaccinated?

Hello,
Good question. TBH I have had both jabs so am vaccinated? If I catch Covid at this point in time there’s not much I can do about it, except get well. We have been self isolating since March 2020 and only done HS for previous Sits, however are doing a few more first time HS. It just came up in the initial Video chat, I would still accept a HS with non vaccinated people.
Would you not accept the HS if they were not vaccinated? Just curious. (no judgement, we are Australian Vegan’s, who don’t drink, smoke or like cricket! lol)
Manda

1 Like

I have been vacinated and always say that in my applications.

2 Likes

I think we would likely accept a sit if home owners weren’t vaccinated, but we wouldn’t come a day early and spend much indoor time with them. We would ask for a masked, brief handover.

Yes, vaccination protects us from severe disease but we can still get sick even if we’ve had the shots, and that’s the last thing I want to happen when I’m on a housesit, especially in another country.

5 Likes

I included my vax status on my profile page so no one has to ask. Personally I think it’s irresponsible for anyone to housesit unless they are and I would expect homeowners to do the same. Politeness does not trump (pardon the expression) your health.

6 Likes

Why would someone lie? If you trust them to housesit for you, I would think you could trust them to be honest about their vax status. Maybe I’m naive. I think it’s perfectly acceptable to ask.

7 Likes

Good idea. I will do the same.

1 Like

I would not do a sit in someone’s home if they are not vaccinated. Plain and simple.

4 Likes

I truly believe that this is a medical intervention, and everyone has a right to their privacy.
I would suggest that on the notes when requesting a house sitter just say that you’d prefer a vaccinated person. Same goes for those who have no opinion either way. If it’s stated then you will only receive the applicants who are able to follow your request.

3 Likes

Yes, you most certainly have all the right in the world to your privacy but if you don’t want to answer the question you’re not the right match for me.
Experience shows and browsing lots of threads here confirm this, many people simply don’t read everything necessary before applying, so I wouldn’t assume automatically that they have read all of my profile.
I rather have proof before I let someone stay in my house. This also is a very private thing and the criteria I base my decision on are completely up to me.
If someone doesn’t like the question he is also free to back out.

6 Likes

That’s a huge infringement of privacy. Everyone should be offended to be asked such a question.

NO ONE has the right to ask me that question and NO ONE has the right to ask for proof of anything.

3 Likes

This is the most appropriate course of action. Very well said Fran.

1 Like

I refuse to have vaccinated people, or masked people, in my home because of the viral shedding associated with it.

Thank you. I’ve been a member of THS for a long time, and have never had to question my sitters honesty. In fact some of my sitters have remained friends, which says a lot for what great people belong to THS.
I have no opinion either way in regards to the vaccine, because I treat everyone the same. We’re all people who are going through a tremendous change, and we need to understand that kindness and trust is the way forward.

6 Likes

I state up front on my profile that I’m a non-smoker and that I’m vaccinated. On my HO site, I ask for the same thing. If anyone ever brought up HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) to me, I’d cross them off of my list immediately as a) HIPAA is not applicable outside of the medical setting and b) it means they haven’t been vaccinated.

I have a retired nurse coming to sit for me in a couple of weeks. She stated on her application that she was fully vaccinated and on our call, you could hear her proudly say she was fully vaccinated. I didn’t ask for proof. When you speak with people during an interview you can get a sense of where they are coming from. Maybe it isn’t fool-proof, but people who take an anti vaxx stand at this point can also fake documents to say they have been.

5 Likes

Your statement holds no logic but you have the right to demand unvaccinated unmasked spreaders in your house. As a potential sitter I appreciate your statement about it upfront so I would know it’s a sit for which I wouldn’t apply.

4 Likes

Maybe you should state that position on your profile so people who insist on only vaccinated people apply, they can skip right over you.

4 Likes

Members will have differing views on this important subject and we feel that it has been discussed fully across all views and that it also has the potential to become divisive, which is not what this forum is about and we have taken the decision to close this topic.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

7 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Vaccination asked (and refused)

I now plan to ask if the sitter has been vaccinated. Everyone I visit is vaccinated and they do not want me to visit if I have a sitter who is not vaccinated.

7 Likes