Long Haul Flying Comfort

We are all looking forward to the day when long haul, or any haul in the sky returns and it will happen. :earth_africa: :earth_americas: :earth_asia: :airplane:

Sharing “33 Tips for Making Long -haul flights more comfortable” because there’s no time like the present to plan for take off day …
Oh and turning left when boarding the plane helps too :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Hi @Angela_L This was a very interesting article. I found tips #13 (Buckle your seatbelt over blanket) #14 Pack an eye Mask & #33 Combat Jet Lag to be most helpful. My longest flight ever took nearly 18 hours from Tampa, Florida to Seoul, Korea. During the flight, I mostly remember watching movies, sleeping, eating, go to the bathroom, repeat. To combat jet lag, I would force myself to stay up in the host country…it took about 3 days to get acclimated. I will look into international travel for pet sitting hopefully in the near future.

What has been your longest flight to pet sit?

2 Likes

Thanks @anon49809275 glad you found it useful … my longest flight to pet sit was from Vancouver BC to Brisbane QLD with layovers in London and Singapore … chose not to go the western route … YVR to LAX to SYD to BNE …

it seems a lifetime since I was on a plane, although in reality it’s been since March 17th 2020 …for someone who doesn’t remember dates, that one is burned into my brain and at the time we thought this COVID thing would only last a few weeks and that my Seattle departure would result in a very quick return flight.

How wrong we were.

I’ll pass the question on …

Forum community … What has been your longest flight to pet sit?

white-plane-sky

1 Like

Hi @Angela_L I didn’t understand the codes of BC and QLD…I had to google. So, from Canada to Australia? That is a pretty long flight :smiley:

1 Like

For a pet sit my longest trip was Washington, DC to New York to Shanghai to Jeju, Island, Korea. Used frequent flyer miles to book business class on China Eastern. Just over an hour DCA-JFK, 15 hours JFK-PVG, and an hour and a half PVG-CJU. Each layover added about 3 hours to the flight.
Return flight through Shanghai got cancelled as flights from China to the US were getting shut down by Covid. Delta took care of me and the return was Jeju to Seoul-Gimpo, the the subway from Gimpo to Incheon, Incheon to Atlanta, then back to Washington. About the same length of trip.

2 Likes

Until COVID hit, I was travelling from Melbourne to London annually (with 2 trips in 2019 - I must have had a premonition about the pandemic!), staying 3-4 months pet sitting as I love the UK and have family and friends there. There’s usually only 1 stop for a couple of hours. I treat myself to flying business class which makes a big difference.

2 Likes

Not my longest trip, probably among the shortest - Friday Harbor, WA to Boeing Field, Seattle, then a shuttle bus to SEA.
14 passenger Cessna. I sat right behind the pilot.
Take off from Friday Harbor

5 minute flight to Orcas Island

Landing at Boeing Field

5 Likes

Neat. I may do that if/when it stops raining.

Way cool! Have you ever taken lessons??
If you enjoy smaller aircraft and flying, highly recommend.
What a rush!

My husband and I have done some brutally long flights. We did two 12.5 hour flights one after another to go to South Africa and returning we flew a 17 hour flight from Johannesburg followed by another 8 hour flight to get home to Canada but it’s all been worth it for our travel adventures! Our worst experience ever was returning from South India. It was the most wonderful holiday but it took a 5 hour flight from South India to Delhia. The Delhi flight was delayed by 13 hours at the airport. We then flew from Delhi to China another 9 hours and then another 9 hours to Vancouver. That topped the worst airport travel ever and experiencing the worst jet lag of all time!

Very timely article and I will be doing most of the suggestions. We fly a week on Monday to Panama, 2 hours to Madrid the a 12 hour flight. I have my elasticised stockings, face mask and pillow, lots of podcasts and music and a book.
I am a very nervous passenger so this is the longest I’ve ever flown in one hop. To make matters worse my husband is a retired pilot (helicopter). He likes to keep me informed about what’s happening, what that noice is, where we are over and generally things that he thinks will calm me. My worst flight with him was when I was sandwiched between him and another gentleman who turned out to be a long haul pilot…….the ear plugs went in and I fell asleep.

1 Like

Ahh I think I am very well versed in this topic! :slightly_smiling_face:
Up until the end of April last year when my husband John retired as a commercial airline pilot with British Airways I was travelling long haul with him every week. A typical month could be London Heathrow (LHR) to Rio de Janiero (GIG) then a London Gatwick (LGW) to Tampa, Florida (TPA) followed by a LHR to Cape Town (CPT) plus in between with any spare days John had off we might squeeze in a short leisure trip to places like Reykjavik in Iceland or if we had longer then usually a trip to California as we absolutely love it there.
I always had and still do have a regular routine (although I am a bit OCD!). I usually had/have a seat in First or Club but no matter where you sit onboard hopefully this information will help.
My first priority would be to organise ‘my space’ in the cabin where I could be sitting for up to 13 and a half hours especially on the long flights from LHR to Buenos Aires (EZE), and for instance take out my magazines etc to read on departure and a bottle of water or drink to hand, just in case the seat belt signs take a while to go off, especially during bad weather where it could be a while until you can get to your belongings again.
I always like to look smart when boarding and on arrival in to the destination so I take comfortable warm loose clothing to change in to onboard and always take layers so depending on what temperature the air conditioning would be set at in the cabin I could adapt accordingly, I always like to take a hot water bottle too just in case the temperature is too low for me. It is also nice to take your shoes off but don’t be surprised if your feet are swollen when you try to put them back on. Also a neck pillow, especially in economy seats helps to support your neck.
I completely agree, always place the belt over your duvet or blanket, saves having to be woken when we hit a lumpy bit and the seat belt signs go on.
I always apply face cream on regular intervals and drink plenty of water. The alcohol is nice but I wouldn’t recommend drinking too much because alcohol has a quicker and longer lasting effect at altitude.
Try to avoid lots of carbohydrates and eat plenty of fresh fruit because carbohydrates at altitude will make you feel drowsy.
Ear plugs are always worth taking, John has always worn his whilst sleeping on aeroplanes, and never flies without them.
I always carry spare phone/iPad/laptop chargers and download a selection of programmes/films to watch just in case of a failure of the IFE (In Flight Entertainment System).
I usually head to the bathroom to clean my teeth and apply my make up about an hour and a half before the PA because otherwise the toilets become exceptionally busy. Also remember toothpaste is classed as a liquid so 100ml max in your hand luggage.
A bag of boiled sweets is good so you can suck a sweet for the descent to help equalise the pressure in your ears.
I have also made many long lasting friendships during my flights, one of which was on a flight to Bangalore where I got chatting to the gentleman beside me called Ravi. I just made a passing comment on the great book he was reading and from that John and I now have a wonderful friendship that has developed, so much so that Ravi and his family flew from Bangalore to attend our wedding in the Cotswolds in England in 2017.
I hope these few tips help and safe travels! :blush:

7 Likes

@Samox24 , great tips and I want to add that you should get up and walk around whenever you can and do toe scrunches, 6x/hr to avoid blood pooling in your extremities and possibly causing a pulmonary embolism.

2 Likes

Absolutely well said :+1:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

Some great ideas here!

I find that for some reason, eating solids during a flight messes with my gut. It’s like my digestive system stops working and everything just sits in my stomach so I feel pretty unwell by the time I land.

I no longer eat a large meal before I fly and mostly just fast during a long flight. If I do need something, I tend to eat super easily digestible foods such as gels used for marathons etc, and I drink lots of water with electrolytes.

It worked when I used to do long races and I was exerting MUCH more energy then. Now I arrive feeling much better.

2 Likes

@Samox24 you have just described my flying habits … PJ’s on boarding!!

My “must have” is a cashmere wrap I have a number of them purchased when I lived in India one goes with me everywhere, even in hot climates … I really find AC uncomfortable, sitting in a freezing restaurant when it’s 25+ outside makes no sense to me.

4 Likes

Yes it doesn’t feel quite right until I’m onboard in my pj’s!! :smiley: