Me and my crazy Bengal cat

I’m new here and hoping I didn’t waste the money on this since I need a sitter in February and that may not be the easiest time of year for people to want to be in the Portland Oregon area. I rarely go anywhere but my baby needs more attention than he’d get from someone just popping in to feed him and leaving. My house is a condo and nothing exciting. I’d happily let someone use my car but it’s a manual transmission so not sure how many people could drive it. Oddly for animal lovers my shining star is my cat because he’s a Bengal but he’s also challenging because he’s a Bengal SO any tips on finding Bengal lovers?

2 Likes

Welcome @ronnakay - if you attach your listing to your profile forum members can make some suggestions .

My first thought (without seeing your listing )is to put a photo of your Bengal cat as the first picture .

With your holiday in Feb there is still plenty of time to find a sitter .

If you choose a sitter is from U.K. they will likely be more used to a manual car than automatic as that’s more common in U.K.

https://forum.trustedhousesitters.com/t/how-to-add-a-listing-or-profile-link-to-your-forum-profile/

1 Like

Hi @ronnakay and welcome :grin:

I am currently sitting a Bengal and was initially very anxious about it due to his size and dominant appearance. Took two days for me to relax around him but once I did, I can’t believe how much I love him and I can read his every move. He has turned out to be THE most beautiful and loving cat I have ever had the pleasure of sitting. I call him Velcro because he never leaves my side, sleeps next to me and adores attention.

Sorry I can’t sit for you, and I do drive a manual, but I just wanted to assure you that there would be plenty more sitters like me who have sat Bengals and wouldn’t have a problem with it.

I wish you well in your search :heart_eyes_cat:

6 Likes

We often apply specifically because of the opportunity to take care of an unusual animal and that’s how we got our first bengal sit. It’s probably not something we would do all the time since it was really time consuming (he couldn’t go outside, was the only cat and needed constant attention). But we certainly enjoyed him and would sit other bengals again if it works for our schedules. BTW some of our favorite living environments are just ordinary small flats, nothing huge or extremely fancy.

3 Likes

Not just the UK. I learned to drive a manual transmission in Ireland and there are probably lots of other countries where this is more common than the US.

1 Like

Portland is a popular city. You won’t have trouble finding people. February is fine. Also it’s very generous of you to allow the use of your car, but frankly if you are actually in Portland and near mass transportation, that might be sufficient. Personally, I drive, but I wouldn’t feel great using someone else’s car. So far the sits I’ve done have been in cities where no car was needed: Boston and Portland, or we’ve driven to sits in our own car.

1 Like

Velcro would be a GREAT name for a Bengal. love it!

2 Likes

I have added my listing link to my profile, thank you

1 Like

But left steering wheel rather than right? Not so easy.

@ronnakay I’ve sat a Bengal cat twice (same cat) and didn’t find it challenging at all. However, the first sit he only saw me as his servant whereas the second sit (a year later) he came up to me during the day and each evening cozied up on my lap.

I also drive manual transmission but I am originally from the UK where they are far more common. I suggest you use the search function here to read more about lending your car as there are things to consider and agree upon, both for the owner and sitter.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of full time sitters on here, so there’s no need to think that Feb may not be the easiest time of year. Plus a lot of sitters also use pet sitting as a way of visiting their family, so there maybe sitters who have family in Portland or Oregon area that would like to visit. Just thought I’d help you see things from a different perspective too.

1 Like

Hi @ronnakay
I’ve sat for bengal cats before. Beautiful and intelligent I’d describe them. Bengal’s to me are no more difficult to look after than many other cat breeds.

2 Likes

I moved from PNW to Indiana and happily go back any time of year. Portland is a heck of a lot nicer in February than Indy! :slight_smile:

I can’t do February, but I’d only book a stay with someone registered anyway, for safety and privacy.

1 Like

Portland in February doesn’t faze me at all. I’ve got a sit booked there then. And I have a sit booked in Seattle before that one, LOL.

I spent nearly a decade in the Pacific Northwest and find it appealing at any time of year.

I’m in Edinburgh now and it reminds me of the PNW at this time of year.

And I don’t know about Bengals, but my rescue dog isn’t right in the head and takes way more patience than many dogs, yet that’s never stopped me from loving him.

2 Likes

I hope you find someone.
My daughter has a Bengal and we LOVE her! She is the best kitty ever - though I think she doesn’t have a lot of the typical character traits. She is very affectionate even with strangers and rarely ever gets into mischief and doesn’t like to walk on a leash/harness. Bengals are the most beautiful cats.
Best of luck!!

2 Likes