More transparency with couples profiles and combined membership users?

A couple things and if a thread exists for this, please feel free to merge…I know this is related to this post, but I feel goes a bit further in depth.

We’re currently only able to list one person’s credentials in our HS profile, but it makes sense to be able to, for instance, list both of our Linkedin profiles. I’m also a dog trainer and have a professional site, so adding fields for websites, blogs, social links where I post content (with expressed permission of my sits, etc.) could be very beneficial to potential HO’s trying to learn more about sitters. (and yes, I do just type out and share this information in my profile in lieu of the missing fields)

Something else that I’m wondering is why there isn’t a toggle for users that have the dual membership to allow users to see both profiles and learn what someone is like as an HS & HO.

I think as we’re working through increased amounts of users on the platform, having the ability to increase transparency like this and provide more visibility into people could potentially be beneficial as we try to get to know one another.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I suggested in the Product Update thread that they create a slightly more expensive tier for couple sitters to have identity checks (U.S background checks) on both people and to provide both linkedins and or airbnbs if separate accounts. Of course the added benefit for the sitters, in addition to being more reassuring for HOs, would be that they’d be entitled to overlap without needing a fully separate account. (This was met with some criticism from dual sitters who were doing just fine with one account until the new update.)

In my case, my spouse doesn’t always accompany me, and given a recent “return to the office” “hybrid” situation, may sometimes only be able to come for part of a sit. He also has zero interest in taking on the responsibilites of a sit solo – although he has the skills to do so, and could if I somehow became incapacitated. No lie, he’s been very helpful on sits.

He is mentioned on my profile, and when I apply if he’s planning on accompanying me, I state that in my application. I also include two links for him: one is his linkedin, and the other is an “author’s page” on a publisher site. There are facts about him on both these sites that make him sound a lot more interesting than I am, and I think I may have gotten sits because of him. So I think the workaround – as THS is not going to change this anytime soon – would be to include the other person’s bonafides upfront in the application.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Not a bad shout to include the secondary credentials when applying. I may start doing that!

I wonder if there would be wider reception to allowing for some kind of toggle on dual accounts. I think, even more so than couples profiles, that really would be beneficial low hanging fruit and allow people to see more reviews from individuals as they wear both hats.

2 Likes

If by dual you mean combined, I definitely think that combined members gain some bonus “trust” points with other combined members and some homeowners. Not editorializing on whether this is good or bad. It just is… I also mention my combined membership with a link to my listing in my applications.

1 Like

yes, i did mean combined. I’ll also start to do that as well. It makes a lot of sense. thanks!

1 Like

@bakindoki

Personally I would not feel comfortable putting any links to any social media sites on my sitter profile. We have background checks and references. That is enough personal information to list on an open platform like this. What you may see as “transparency” I see as not being mindful of internet safety and privacy. There are many ways that could go bad, risk identity theft, etc.

I’d like to see background checks for HOs though.

I’d also have some concern about using THS to promote a personal business, blog related to that business, etc.

6 Likes

That’s a good point and a tricky one though.

For instance, if my profession is working as a dog trainer (which is one of my hats), I’m not sharing to promote a business. I’m sharing to show that I’m legitimate and be more transparent. There are reviews on my site, there are a bunch of examples of me handling and caring for dogs on my socials, so I share them…by that logic, a LinkedIn profile could be seen as promoting one’s business if your profession is animal-related.

Just to clarify, I do NOT think these should be required fields, but there are a lot of people that travel-housesit full time. Having the OPTION to share where relevant does make sense to me if they feel it will give people a better perspective into who will be staying with their pet(s) and want to share them. Keywords being option and where relevant. This should NOT be a requirement imo.

Even adding a LinkedIn/Airbnb for a secondary person would probably be an optional field but having it there as an option (I think) would be helpful…mandatory is a bit strong for a secondary sitter…my partner travels with me sometimes and sometimes he doesn’t but I did my best to set us up to reflect that we’re both available as one or a pair. There’s just no space to add his credentials atm. This is not the end of the world though and I’m going to do the work arounds that @Marion suggested, but yea.

All the above being said, IMO the place where energy would be best spent is actually allowing the option for combined members to have a toggle on their account so people can see both profiles easily. But just my opinion. X

1 Like

@bakindoki To be clear, I include Linked In and all other social media sites in my comments. This is an open forum. Anyone can read your profile. Not smart to collect all of your online information in one place. That’s not transparent, that’s asking to have your identity stolen.

It’s also asking for THS to assume some liability for what’s posted here. The profiles aren’t continuously monitored and before you know if someone will be posting their Only Fans account. In order to let people “know” them better.

Your intentions aren’t what matters if self promotion is the result. It would be a better idea to have people who know you from those contexts to write references here.

Generally I don’t think external links should be allowed at all.

As for partners who are sometimes involved and sometimes not, to link and toggle to a separate profile sounds cumbersome. It would be nice to be able to list them on our existing profile and have them background checked. And to have the ability when applying to indicate whether or not you are applying as a single sitter or a couple. In lieu of that, I hade discussed this privately when applying, had him on my zoom call, and provided additional information if requested privately not publicly for my partner.

Be careful out there.

2 Likes

thanks for elaborating on your earlier post!

2 Likes

I think your profile is great btw – but you probably could mention cat experience. Cat people are finicky that way. :joy:

You clearly aren’t promoting a business, and your background is relavant. Nothing tricky about it, and if people want to read more about it they can go to the one permissable link: linkedin and follow the breadcrumbs.

There are some sitters who are crassly promoting their side hustles. Someone applied to a listing I posted recently whose profile included a list of extra services as well as a url to a business. In my opinion, THS really needs to keep the exchange ethos firm, and should be restricting that kind of self-promotion which can lead to a poor user experience on both sides. With so many wannabe influencers today and use of blurring of lines between personal and business, I partially agree with @anon42826925 that urls should not be part of profiles, but I would make an exception of Airbnb which shows that sitters at least don’t have track records for trashing accomodations or overstaying, and Linkedin which similarly can be used especially for new sitters to help establish “trust.” But definitely optional!

Realize this is going off topic with the couples thing.

Lmao. You’re so right. I talk about dogs and horses but not cats and I actually love them! My only friend in middle school was my neighbourhood rescue cat and I was devastated when he passed to the point where I didn’t have another pet until this current dog (we’re talking like a 15 year gap). He was one in a million.

I’ll update!

Really appreciating the points that you and @anon42826925 are sharing.

1 Like