I would like some second opinions and advice.
I am an experienced sitter of cats and dogs with many good reviews. In Nov 2022 I applied for a 3-week sit for an elderly dog to take place in Sep 2023 – 10 months in advance. Without a zoom call, the pet parent invited me to the sit with a note saying I am a good fit and let’s talk soon. At the time I thought, okay we will have a Zoom call later, but I feel really comfortable and the sit is far down the road. I accepted.
In May 2023, I dropped a message to the pet parent letting them know that my plans (to travel from late June-late November 2023) are on track, I have a plane ticket, etc. I asked if their plans/travel dates are confirmed, and also verified that I could still borrow their car, which was part of the original offer. I also asked if I could have their address in order to mail a box to myself.
I received an immediate, friendly reply that their trip would be 2-weeks (not 3) – asking if I was still interested in the new dates – and confirming the car is available (but not asking me for a copy of my drivers license). They said they would share their address to mail the box, once I confrmed I was still interested. Right away I said I was still on board and started working on a way to cover the extra week. It meant more travel time, but I found a replacement sit. And waited.
I never received a reply, or the mailing address. On June 24th, I followed up asking if everything was okay, including that all is well with their elderly dog. I asked if there was anything we should discuss. (I found another way to get my box delivered, so didn’t ask about the address again.)
It is now July 2. I have not heard anything. They may be on vacation or just busy with work/life. I am worried about their dog too. But now I am getting nervous for myself. A year ago, I would have gone with the flow and filled the dates if they cancelled on me last minute, but these days it is a lot harder for me to find sits that meet my needs (not too far from where I will be in England, accessible by public transit or includes a car, reliable wifi for work, and I can leave Fido alone for 4-6 hours or so now and then.)
My gut has gone from all positive to very nervous. What should I do? Am I being too Type A? Should I withdraw from the sit? The pet parents still have 2+ months to find someone else – if they still need a sitter at all. If I cancel, what does that do to my track record/reputation on TH?
Looking for honest but kind advice. Thank you in advance.