Optimum timing to post sit request?

Is there any rule of thumb as to how far ahead of a sit we should post the dates to optimize getting a number of good applications quickly? We’re looking at Christmas, so we’re about six months out right now – is this too soon to post our dates?

If this has been answered before, apologies, and please point me at the answer. I searched a bit and didn’t find an obviously similar post.

Thank you!

3 Likes

I think post now. I am one of the sitters who do this full time and have lots of good reviews. I’m booked out almost entirely until March 2024. Unless you’re in Costa Rica or Panama, then we can talk about January. :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @Scott_MP welcome to our community forum and to Trustedhousesitters we hope you will find all the help, support and answers you need here and yes there is a very lengthy conversation about Christmas sits, gosh are we actually talking THAT time of the year already? Here is the link to the conversation which actually runs across two festive seasons, not only do you have the feedback, there’s a YOY comparison … I hope you find it helpful

Wow, that’s a long thread indeed, will read through it!
Thanks,
Scott

2 Likes

We’re already booked for Christmas & there’s always a splurge of good sits that time of year, so if you know you need someone, then go for it now @Scott_MP Good luck :raised_hands:t3:

I’ve been booked for xmas since May, but holding off on booking past January because we don’t know yet if staying in the US is a better idea than going abroad.

we feel like being patient is prudent. Ee wouldn’t want to disappoint homeowners (or ourselves!) if circumstances changed.

1 Like

Nothing to lose by posting now, because you can always repost if you don’t get bites from sitters who match your needs.

It’s relatively easy for good sitters to get sits, including repeat ones, so they tend to book out early.

1 Like

Hi @Scott_MP, it will also depend on how long your sit will be over Christmas. If it’s for several weeks then advertise soon; but if it’s only for a few days, then sitters might not be so eager to apply yet. Do keep in mind public transport is a real issue if dates are right on Christmas and New Year so sitters who rely on public transport would have difficulty being able to do your sit. Be considerate of your sitters who also want to enjoy their Christmas instead of having to spend it cleaning for the owners’ return the next day!
You can attach your listing to your forum profile for sitters to give you advice if you like.

4 Likes

@Scott_MP - I would say from July onwards so your timing to ask is perfect!

Hi @temba, the sit would be about 9 days, from the 22nd to the 30th or 31st. How do I attach our listing to my forum profile? I’m not seeing that as an option.
Thanks,
Scott

HI @Scott_MP all done for you … listing is now on your Forum profile :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you for supporting @temba

@Angela_L so that I can be better-educated, what’s the method for doing that? And thank you!
Scott

HI @Scott_MP in this link is the step by step instructions …

Any questions please don’t hesitate to come back to me

1 Like

Ah, thank you – I’d never have figured that out! Listing is now live, but feedback is always appreciated!
Scott

For the holidays, I think you should post asap

For Christmas, absolutely post now - the pool of sitters can be smaller during the holidays. We usually post 2 to 4 week sits and prefer nomadic sitters if we can find them.

I have dates in March that we’ll be posting and decided (after talking to a few nomadic sitters about how far out they are booked) to post it in August, 7 months before sit.

1 Like

Glad you’ve posted your listing @Scott_MP. I took a look at it, and you’ve covered all the major topics sitters look for. Your home is beautiful, your descriptions are great, your pictures make it easy for sitters to see themselves temporarily living in your home, and your “career change” dogs sound fantastic.

I’m sure you’ll find a great sitter in no time at all. Happy travels!

1 Like

@Karen_E thank you for taking a look at our listing – we appreciate it!
Scott

1 Like