Paying a security deposit to sit

My apologies, @Lindsay, I misunderstood. I’ve just finished dealing with very frustrating emails, unrelated to THS, and should have given this more attention, rather than a quick response. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

No worries @Snowbird, it happens and I appreciate your reply. Water under the bridge… :olive:

3 Likes

Hi @Lindsay and thank you @Snowbird I have just this minute asked the Membership Services Team if there is any update on the subject of Security Deposits. I realize the original question was back in March, I will update when I hear back

Thank you both

3 Likes

I think it’s about time some of the rules, T&C of THS (forum or web) need to be revised and updated, and give a bit more flexibility for this new world.
The other forum I was commenting on about HO charging a deposit is another subject where rules are vague. However when it comes to other things like a sitter asking for some expense it’s a big no no.
I always said it, the balance between HO and sitters is not right but this also comes back to having a bit more flexibility. I would like to think that in this web we are all responsible adults and what one considers important might be nothing to someone else but it doesn’t mean it has no value.
HO, You want to charge a deposit ?
HS: You want to charge some reasonable important expense ?
Fine to both, put it in writing and if both agree then great.
What is there to lose? you won’t get that sit/ sitter, move on to other(s)
Was going to write more about it but decided to write a post instead…

Both expenses and deposits change the whole ethos of the sit. The key word is “trusted”. It’s not a job. It’s an exchange between like minded people who trust each other to uphold their end of the relationship. Once money, for whatever, is included it is a paid relationship and we are under an unspoken contract to follow orders.
If the house holder feels they need a deposit there is no trust. I personally would not reply to a sit with this stipulated. The only time I would consider getting money involved is heating/air conditioning bills. I am always wary about using these too much and have been known to ask what their usual bill is and offer to pay anything that is above that amount that we have incurred. It means I can be comfortable.
As for paying expenses - do you mean travel expenses? I did have a huge belly laugh at that. Most of our sits are in high end homes, beautiful gardens surrounded by beautiful countryside. The homes are equipped to a high standard with everything we would need. I couldn’t even contemplate staying in some of the areas we have been to. Of course the pets are the added bonus. Surely the cost of travel is nothing compared to what we receive in exchange!

Come on folks, we are on a site called trusted house sitters. Where’s the trust? Why do some want to change the whole shape and form of such a fantastic idea? If you don’t like it, dont try to change it some of us love the whole concept of mutual trust and building a relationship between sitters and pet owners. If this is not what you want, jog along, and find a site that better suits your requirements and don’t try changing the ethos of this wonderful one.
This is not aimed at you Jazzys, I disagree with some of your posts but they are always thought provoking and open up a new perspective of the whole idea of pet sitting.
Elsie

8 Likes

I am very much open for any kind of discussion, but what galls me are demanding posts of people who drop in here once in a while and instantly want change. Somehow most of the others aren’t bothered by the issues those people seem to have.

I joined THS, BECAUSE it’s about trust and I don‘t want people charging for their pet sitting services, flight fares and accommodation before or after a sit, nor would I ask for payment to cover energy costs.

If you think THS is too expensive, I am sure there are other sites, who charge less or nothing.
If you think payments of any kind should be done, there are services to be found…just use Google.
If you aren’t satisfied with the mailing system, use your own.
If you want to be flexible, fine, but why here?

I actually DON‘T want change, because I chose THS exactly because it is like it is. I like this forum, because most members ask politely and don’t demand.

7 Likes

I think there SHOULD be a new perspective,
I never said to stop the whole concept or radical changes… :slight_smile:

PS my original reply here was deleted as I copied extract of an email illustrating the deposit fact, which apparently is not allowed…So it was deleted (wish they only deleted the extracts)
SO of course, it is hard to explain all over again.
Anyway, am off, spent too much time on here as it is and don’t particularly like forums or chats etc as they are prone to misunderstanding and it is difficult to express what you want as it involves a lot of other things.
BTW I don’t like being here not because am not interested or I “drop by sometimes” it’s because there are always conflicts and misunderstandings.
Keep well , good luck

1 Like

How lovely to read. I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

trying commenting again but before you jump to conclusions pls read carefully this is meant to be objective and productive (of course I can talk only from my experience) :open_umbrella: :open_umbrella: :open_umbrella: :open_umbrella:
Pet sitting is in high demand but realistically without the sitters the world doesn’t stop (actually it goes back the way it was some years ago) and the owners will have to find a more expensive alternative.
Unfortunately that is what it comes to at the end, the most important element sadly: money.
A HO can find you great and want you to come back but if money gets in the way, they will quickly forget about you saying anyone would be happy to be here.
I am only mentioning this because a lot of the problems revolve around this theme: utility, travel food, accommodation, rent which are called “free” here but is it really?
Should the fridge and pantry be empty? should the house be freezing cold?
should a car be included in a remote location ? should the sitter clean the mess of the HO? should the sitter take care of 15 pets?
Should a deposit be paid? should I send the bill for damaged items? should I ask someone locally? Should I try someone new?
Should I lock up this room? should I call for references? should I call every day?

Once a HO told me: I am not looking for a free sitter but a good one. I wish all would have this attitude. and I am NOT promoting paid sitting here!
A HO says: my house is worth $$$$ a night, so you should be happy to be here.
However care is also expensive so they should be happy to have a sitter.
Anyway, all this to say that it’s a win-win situation but can be unbalanced so then there should be ways to restore it.
:shield: :shield: :shield: :shield: :shield: :shield:

1 Like

Should the fridge and pantry be empty? … No, but there should be space for the sitters to stow their own things.

should the house be freezing cold? … No, but I also don’t want it excessively heated or cooled down, because this is expensive!

should a car be included in a remote location? … No, but it can be. If the sitter doesn’t like it like this, he/she shouldn’t apply.

should the sitter clean the mess of the HO? … No, but if it’s dirty and the sitters want to stay, then I recommend to do what makes them feel comfortable.

Should the sitter take care of 15 pets? … If known beforehand, YES. Otherwise don’t apply.

Should a deposit be paid? … There’s no “should”. If the sitter agrees to pay a deposit, where’s the problem? Otherwise don’t apply.

should I send the bill for damaged items? … Talk about it beforehand. Each HO handles this differently, so talk about it. That’s what video calls are for.

should I ask someone locally? … Why not?

Should I try someone new? … up to you.

Should I lock up this room? … why, for heaven’s sake not if you don’t want anybody in there.

should I call for references? … if you feel comfortable, why not.

should I call every day? … Ask this during the video chat. If you don’t want to, don’t accept the sit.

Actually, it’s simply about communication, nothing else.

2 Likes

Que? Deposit for what? Feudalism has effectively ended sometime between the 12th and 15th centuries – (depending on the source and context). 21st century´s THS advocates a win-win concept based on trust. When a so-called homeowner, which is in fact a pet owner who may or may not own a home, asks for a deposit from someone who is willing to perform a free service - RUN

3 Likes

@RadarInc
Nowhere have I said that a deposit should be paid! I said if sitters and HOs agree, why not. You don’t have to apply for a sit like this.
I also never said that I would want a deposit from a sitter, nor that I find the idea great.
I said everything is about communication and agreement. We live in free countries and if sitters want to agree, who is to tell them they aren’t allowed?

2 Likes

Report them to THS! Right away!

1 Like

@Angela_L I kind of forgot about this but have just seen the same sit I mentioned last year relisted and am wondering again what TH policy on security deposits is. Did you ever get an answer?

Also a suggestion that, if it is in fact allowed, the HO should be required to post the amount in their listing, especially since it’s now more difficult for a sitter to ask questions with the 5 application rule.

2 Likes

Hi @Lindsay thank you for flagging. Advertising for a damage deposit as a condition of a sit, in a listing is not allowed.

Could you please Direct Message the details to me … thank you

1 Like

@Angela_L Thanks for confirming. Sent you that sit in a DM.

1 Like