Pet sitting in cold climates and cold houses

We use this site to spend time with animals while we explore the world. I have meet some fantastic dogs and hosts all over the world, some of them I would count as friends. Yes, there are some on the site for a cheap holiday and see the pets as an inconvenience but I think your sweeping statement is wrong.

3 Likes

I take a hot water bottle, cosy dressing gown and a small teddy throw for Scotland sits! Nothing worse than getting soaked and cold and not being able to get a heat through you! :smile:

1 Like

@Ken - Why exactly are you on this site?

6 Likes

Hi Cattails,
Sorry to hear about your experience. I guess a lot of people heat their houses taking into account that most of the family are out for the day but of course that’s not the case for house-sitters.
I’ve had one experience like this in a draughty listed cottage in an English village in the winter. The owners were very kind but the heating was oil-fired and the gauge gave a low reading so we were worried about emptying their tank. Snow was on the roads blocking the delivery van but when he did arrive he said the gauge gave a false reading and we had plenty left so no reason to shiver. The owners were kind, definitely not mean but it was an unfortunate situation. We went to Aldi and bough thermal underwear. The cottage had a log burner but strangely enough that gave off very little heat because it was in an alcove. We are warier now and ask up front about heating in the winter.

2 Likes

To have responsible sitters look after my pets. Answer your question?

Admin Notice: Topic temporarily closed for moderation. Thank you

1 Like