Popular dog and puppy names

What are the most popular dog names you’ve come across on your house sitting travels?

Ours have been Bella for girls, and Clyde for boys!

What are your personal favorites, or names you’ve encountered from other languages? My favorite Spanish name was our dear old jungle dog, “Campesino”, who was “head of island security” when we lived in Panama!

If you’re looking for inspiration for a new addition to the family, Team Trusted recently put together the ultimate list of puppy names which you’ll find here on the TrustedHousesitters Blog:

Are your dog’s names on the list? What would you add?

1 Like

Foudre & Nuage… Lightening and Cloud? Am I correct? Lovely French names. I had to look up and listen how to say Schproumpf :slight_smile:

We’ve looked after an Arya and a Lola - both on the list.
Also on the list is Jazz, the name of our friends dog who we looked after for years.
We will be meeting Bear tomorrow. She’s a girl, although her name is in the boys list!

We have looked after a Wlibur - not on the list and probably not a common name…

3 Likes

It’s fun going down our pet name memory lane thinking about how and why pet parents choose their pet’s names. I’m not sure how many of these are on the list but over our years of pet sitting we’ve sat many pets with people names …
cats, dogs, horses, even two amazing pigs called George and Matilda :pig::pig: and a chicken called Stuart :chicken: Here are just a few more …

Alfie
Casey
Isabella
Fred
Holly
Chuck
Sadie
Peggy
Betty
Carrie
Mitzi
Sabrina
Stella
Bert & Ernie - Sesame Street
Derek & Rodney - Only Fools & Horses

In LA we sat two cats called Fred & Ginger … they weren’t the greatest dancers but were purrfectly in sync for their 3.00 am curtain call! :heart::heart_eyes_cat::dog::paw_prints:

Our adored Springer was named Holly by my son, she was born on Christmas Day and he decided she didn’t look like a Mary and certainly wasn’t a Joseph so Holly it was … we should have had two and named the other one Ivy :dog::heart:

How many “names” on the list have you met and how many pets with peoples names have you sat?

Happy #Caturday everyone!!
Enjoy your long weekend

3 Likes

We’ve looked after several Bears… but they’ve all been cats! :heart_eyes_cat: :smirk_cat: :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Oooh… we should include FAMOUS PAIRS too… We looked after Bonnie & Clyde, and not a duo, but still two famous Aussies just last week… Ned (Kelly) and (Walzing) Mathilda :star_struck: We also looked after Tinker who had a pup called… Belle :fairy:

2 Likes

@Provence I thought Schproumpf looked like a word I had come across before but couldn’t work out what it was. Now I realise I had seen the french name for “The Smurfs” before!

Tahoe is a great name. I wonder if there are many other pets out there named after places?

2 Likes

Although we haven’t looked after them, I’ve seen more than one pair of pets listed on UK sits called Eric and Ernie. Apparently they were a famous pair of British comedians. However, I’m not sure I could look after them because my first husband’s name is Ernie and my current (and forever) husband is Erik. :rofl:

5 Likes

They were indeed icons of British comedy… “The Morecambe & Wise Show” ran for many years. I am chuckling at the vision of you and hubby on a sit with their namesakes :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve looked after cats that were called Eric and Ernie in England. They were identical tabbies and it was only their collar that distinguished them!

3 Likes

We lived/sailed a yacht for five years. Her name was Ruby Tuesday, (Rolling Stones, Goodbye Ruby Tuesday, very apt for rovers like us). I have lost count of the dogs we have looked after called Ruby. It’s a very popular name in the UK.
Elsie

4 Likes

We couldn’t resist applying for a sitting for 2 cats called Madge and Harry. My parents in law, now sadly died, were called Madge and Harry. When the cats kept staring at us, we felt they had returned to earth to check up on us.

8 Likes

I wish there was a chuckle button. That made me laugh.

5 Likes

Bella (cats and dogs) and Buddy (dogs) are the most popular names I’ve come across on my sits, some even being the same breeds e.g cavoodle.

2 Likes