Pet Nicknames

Every pet has a name and then about 20 or so nicknames that started as a variation of their name and then spiralled out of control from there! :dog::cat::hamster::sweat_smile:

What nicknames do you have for your pets or any pet that you have ever had?

Or perhaps its nicknames pet parents call their pet that you have looked after or perhaps a nickname you have given the pet/s whilst sitting for them. :blush:

1 Like

Not even sure when it all started - 6-8 months ago? I must have been sitting for one lovely kitty whom I started affectionately calling “kittie.” It could have easily been “sweetie,” “honey,” or the like - but it was “kittie.”

Now, I call/refer to every pet I sit for as “kittie.” Cats, dogs, and even a bunny. They are all “kittie” to me.

4 Likes

When we owned our Camrose Golden Retriever, whose name was Max, we gave him the nickname Bear because he looked like a polar bear. John was out walking Max on the North Downs in Surrey and he was hanging back so John called him and said, “come on Bear” to which another dog walker said, “have you named your dog after the cheese, Camembert?”
:dog::fondue::sweat_smile:

We also looked after a beautiful hunting Vizsla called Mika and by the end of the sit we had nicknamed her ‘Mika Tikka’. :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

At one of our first cat sits, Meow-Meow became a go-to nickname. It tends to show up for other cats we look after. Curious if anyone else here has found that!

1 Like

@Samox24 I am going to add this post as well then everyone can see all of the staff pet nicknames!

I naturally tend to give every pet I sit for a little nickname, usually just one that comes to mind a couple of days after caring for them. Like a little affectionate name that suits their personality towards us - BellyBoo was one (they wanted belly rubs lots!)

4 Likes

@Carla oh I love the BellyBoo nickname, that’s so sweet :dog::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I recently spent a total of four+ weeks with a dog named Cooper. I nicknamed him all variations that rhyme with Cooper. Also called him Coop Coop. He was such a sweetheart. I miss him.

Oddly, the shelter where we got our dog named him after the family that returned him after an unsuccessful adoption. By the time we found Brooks, he’d sat at the shelter for months, going by that name. And he’d had at least two names before. So we kept it as Brooks, to avoid confusing him. We didn’t use nicknames for a long time, because of that.

Nowadays, he’s well settled with us and sometimes I call him Brooksie. When he’s getting spoiled, which happens a lot, I call him Lord Brooks. My husband often calls him “buddy.”

5 Likes

In Cantonese, the word for cat sounds like Mao.

2 Likes

My daugher and son in law’s doggie is called Gus, and most often than not they call him
Gus Gus … crazy lengthening a name, but it just rolls off the tongue so easily. :rofl:

3 Likes

@PandAonTour Love this :joy::joy:

We sat a dog called Ralph, didn’t think anything of it until we were out on our first walk and called him… try it… :laughing:

I sat for a dog that didn’t respond to his name but came running whenever his owner called her husband. So ever after the dog was called Dave (Jr.). I sat for a cat named Swirls but who was really called, Puddy, as in I tawt I taw a puddy cat. I always seem to end up calling dogs and cats, Boo or Boo Boo.

1 Like

We sat for a long haired cat called Buffy. She very quickly became “Fluffy Buffy” and eventually “Princess Fluffy Buffy”.

2 Likes

Oh man, I’ve always had so many nicknames for all pets I’ve ever had. And their nicknames have always been kind of temporary, only to be replaced by new ones.

Bowie has been called “choo choo” , “‘mushy ball”, “snoops”, “Bowie Pooh” (Winnie the pooh inspired), “cookie Pooh”, “Toto” (came from one of my favorite anime movies), “muñequito”, and “little cookie boy”.

Side note: my partner has never called me by any pet names (going together for nearly a decade now), me on other hand have called him many sweet things, but he’s the one that started calling Bowie “choo choo” :joy:

P.S. forgot that he also has a walking nickname, and it’s perhaps the only one he will understand when I tell him it’s time to go and keep walking: “come on sweet pie!”
He will not move or stop sniffing otherwise!

1 Like

Not strictly a pet nickname but one house sit had a large garden in parkland . A stag would visit the neighbourhood and had been given a nickname by the owners . During our visit the stag showed up with a doe who we nicknamed.

On a repeat stay we found out that the nickname had caught on with the neighbours who referred to the doe by the name we had called her .

I once had 4 foster kittens. I added to their names to create these nicknames.
(The) Matrix
( crazy bout a) Mercury
(MAXI ) Maxx
(Minnow) Minnow

My friend has a dog called Bourbon. I call him Bourbon Sauce

2 Likes

1 Like

Oooo I always do this! I always end up sing-songing it to the animals as well. Alliteration if it works (Mickey-Moo / Bertie-Boo), doubling if it’s short (Blue-Blue / Blit-Blit), adding a Y at the end (Scout-y / Bolt-y) or if all else fails I just add “pie” to the end (Sonya-pie / Oscar-pie / Aqua-pie).

Definitely when I’m alone obviously, HO’s would realise I’m nuts…

1 Like

Maybe a new fact for some…
When animals lie like in this (Web) photo

it’s called splooting (verb is to sploot).
We sat for a Welshie who did this regularly & we called him Sir or Lord Splootalot.
(No original photo as I can’t be bothered to get permission!)

1 Like