Unusual pet names

We’ve had some fun with reading how usernames were chosen, so let’s now think about the pets. I just read a listing where one of the pets is named ‘chewy’. It made me smile, wondering whether it was an inbuilt warning.

Many decades ago, having my first experience of a dog in our home, I learned the hard way not to leave out anything that was chewable. It was back in the days when I had a collection of beautiful, high-heeled leather shoes, when I had to dress up for work. These days my footwear could never be called a collection, and there are no heels in sight. You can guess the ending of my story maybe. I left the closet door open when I went to work, and my lovely dog had a feast. An expensive lesson, I can assure you.

Let’s share some stories of pet names, shall we?

Photo by Claudia Udrea on Unsplash

7 Likes

Our cat Cassiopée was named after the constellation. When we adopted her very young at the SPCA we fell in love because of those bright eyes on a dark background just like stars in the sky. :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

My brother has a dog named Gizmo who I’ve sat with many times.

And I sat last 2 weeks with 3 cats, 1 of whom was named Gizmo.

Tom

5 Likes

Two listings I’ve seen here have dogs named Rowdy. Love that, so descriptive.

I had a dog named Harpo because I loved Harpo Marx and I love the instrument. He turned out to be a clown too.

4 Likes

My chickens here are named after movie and television characters!
We have Magnus, Sybil for example but my fave are The Brady Bunch!
Marcia, Jan and Cindy!

And then of course we have
Dora the explorer!

6 Likes

I had a cat called Applecross Champagne. The previous owners used to show him. Bit of a mouthful so we called him Saffron.

John

5 Likes

Hi Amparo that one in the middle is gorgeous :heart::heart:

2 Likes

He’s the man of the coop. It is what is called a Hackle rooster. Because of their colourful plumage they are often bred for the feathers for fly fishing!
However, Magnus will not be donating to that activity :grin:

1 Like

I would love to paint a picture of him. His colouring is lovely

3 Likes

Daughter’s sweet lab is Otis…they live on Otis street
First sit was a kitty Daphne….sit was in the town of Daphne.
Not unique but certainly CUTE!

3 Likes

We looked after a cat named Mr. O’Malley. That cat was a character - he was able to open his own treat cupboard with his paw. He was great fun!

5 Likes

Recently looked after 2 cats called Gin & Tonic and a few years ago 2 chickens called Britney & Madonna :grinning:

3 Likes

Not particularly unique but this is Beans, so named because she’s full of them!

7 Likes

We looked after a cockerpoo called Candy Floss, a chocolate lab called Toffee Apple and cats called Nougat and Popcorn. They were all very sweet!

4 Likes

Thank you @Snowbird what a fun post and great names and adorable pix … Please keep them coming and keep us smiling :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I had a friend with two dogs named Fred and Barney.

4 Likes

Our black cat‘s name is “Herr (Mr)Lehmann” and the other is called “Tante Käthe” (Aunt Katie). There’s no particular reason for this. We just found the names funny.

6 Likes

My pet has a Australia cat climbing tree and we call him Treetops. He likes it very much.

3 Likes

I love the name Gizmo. A friend’s daughter has a dog called Gizmo too….seems it’s quite common

1 Like

My girl is called Boodie (hence my username). Her name is Boudica, but of course was shortened to Boodie and has stayed that way ever since!

oodie

8 Likes