Recently Retired - Ready to Travel the World!

Hi everyone,
I’m currently based in STL, but looking to housesit through Europe in 2023. I signed up recently and already have two sits scheduled for the next few weeks. I’m happy to report it was very easy to get my first sits.

Very excited to branch out. Need to check on visa process for Europe. I’m an animal lover who’s cat passed away this year. I’m looking forward to kitty snuggles that I miss so much.


@howarc1 hello and welcome to the Forum! Wow, I took a look at your member profile and you nailed all the necessary information pet parents/owners are looking for in a sitter. You are detailed, offer up why you want to sit, what they can expect and the list goes on and on!

You are going to find there is so much to offer with this forum from all the members who are more than willing to help answer any questions or concerns that may arise. This community is full of a wonderful group of like minded individuals who love animals and want only the best for them.

I did notice you have not linked your member profile to your forum profile yet. This will give you extra exposure to all members who want to reach out to you and can offer up feedback directly to you. To do so, just go to How to add a listing or profile link to your FORUM profile - Owner & Sitter Exchange - TrustedHousesitters Community Forum and follow the easy instructions.

Good luck with your future sits and make sure you send pics along the way so we can all share your adventures!


Welcome, howarc1!

I’m so sorry to hear about your kitty. Pet-sitting is absolutely the best way to get kitty snuggles for life! It’s been my favorite activity for more than 10 years now. This is my latest snuggle buddy. :slight_smile:

As for visas in Europe, if you are a US citizen, you can travel freely in the EU for up to 90 days without needing any special permission. After that, you’d need to either fly back to the US for 3 months, or travel onward to another continent for a while. If you wanted to apply for a longer-term tourist visa, my understanding is that you’d need to show evidence of already-booked transit to your different destinations, as well as proof of adequate funds and health insurance, or they would likely not grant the visa.

Border patrol has definitely gotten more inquisitive since Covid started, so when they ask what you are doing when you enter Europe, I err on the side of caution and simply say “tourism” and leave it at that. I noticed that THS now have a letter you can show at immigration to explain that you are housesitting, but you never know how officials will like that.

Bottom line: Schedule up to 3 months of sits in the EU, say you’re traveling as a tourist, and you’ll be fine!

Have fun!


Hi @howarc1
Good luck with your housesitting in Europe. Where have you got those sits and where do you want to travel in Europe?
Can you tell me where STL is please? THS began life in the UK and in the last few years has branched out, fortunately, to many other parts of the world and is now very big in the US so I think some people assume we all know what these abbreviations stand for.

1 Like