Record-breaking sits

Sounds like the HOs were lucky to find you. Not a sit I’d be doing. Would love to see some photos. Had to look up what a conure is

3 Likes

I’m conscious of owners privacy so I’ll just post up a few that are on their public ad. We have just under a week to go and we will miss all the pets!

Opal the gecko

Gubbins

One of the corn snakes

Reptile Room

7 Likes

What beautiful animals…but you are better than me as I would not be able to care for a snake. I’m not sure why I have such a phobia but they just scare me. Maybe because I lived on a farm when I was young and they were always in the barn. It made me afraid to go in there. Now we back up to the woods and occasionally I will find one in the back yard. I screech like a little kid! LOL

1 Like

@UKSitter I love geckos… look at that face! :lizard::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::blush:

4 Likes

Wow! You’re a super hero ! That’s crazy :flushed: and just yourself? You must have a great deal of energy, i certainly admire that. The most I’ve ever done ( and not a THS sit) was a volunteer gig in Akumal Mexico on the Yucatan Peninsula. I took care of 45 street dogs at a sanctuary started by s Scottish gentlemen. To be honest it was overwhelming and very dysfunctional. He didn’t have secure gating and enclosures and some would get out. Then, he had 3 pups in the house which had it’s issues. Unfortunately one of them got out on the roof and fell and died, needless to say I was devastated so called his partner who had to step in. It was way too much responsibility for a volunteer gig and to be honest i was a bit over my head. I loved them, yet it was too unorganized. A huge learning experience for me.

I absolutely love love Donekys :heart:

1 Like

I think for lots of people it’s the way they move! haha it’s very unique

1 Like

My wife and I are on the housesit so there’s 2 pairs of hands to look after everyone :slight_smile: I definitely admire you taking on 45 dogs, I’m not sure I could handle that. We live and learn though and every experience is valuable!

Beautiful! I love reptiles and used to be a python and chameleon keeper and breeder myself. This set-up is excellent! I want to go there!

3 Likes

A friend of mine loves donkeys, too. Ever attend the Donkey Welfare Symposium?

3 Likes

What’s the record for a first- sit ?

We have recently done our first sit for THS which was for 13 pets.
2 dogs and 11 chickens
(There were also 2 mallard ducks on the pond but they looked after themselves )

It was a great experience and we were well rewarded with fresh eggs every morning.

We are currently sitting in the beautiful Isle of Wight with 2 adorable rescue dogs.
Length of time between application/confirmation of the sitting and the start of the sit is 3 years 7 months - surely this is a record?

November 2019 - sitting confirmed to take place in May 2020
May 2020 - cancelled due to Covid - rearranged for May 2021
May 2021 - cancelled due to Covid - rearranged for July 2022
July 2022 - cancelled as their British Airways flights were cancelled the day before the sitting was to start - rearranged for June 2023
June 2023 - here we are!!

We are so pleased that the owners persevered with us over the years

10 Likes

@Itchyfeet I think as you say, that must be a record and congratulations for finally getting there! :clap:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi @Itchyfeet that is truly one for the record book, well done and I’m sure it was well worth the wait. :wink:

1 Like

THS, please give an award to @Itchyfeet and the HO’s for their persistence

3 Likes

Okay, going to have a go at this @Romana - thinking it’s not no 1 but there’s a top 10 spot to be had :joy::joy:
Latest sit just completed consisted of….
3 dogs
2 giant tortoises
6 bantams
4 bantam chicks (arrived during sit)
4 green conures
2 green conure chicks (arrived during sit)
2 blue parrots
1 bearded dragon
4 quail
7 cockatiels
1 sun conure, Sammy (special)
2 baby terrapins
Fish multiple (feed once a week)
Super worms multiple (feed twice a week)

Extra points for all the babies that arrived whilst sitting please, and for the super worms who we had to feed and then we had to feed them to the dragon for his dinner :joy:

:thailand::raised_hands:t3::two_hearts::palm_tree:

1 Like

Wow! Well done for taking on that menagerie!

2 Likes

Holy cow, did you do this as a solo? I hope you had help

1 Like

Hello @IHeartAnimals - don’t panic :joy:, we’re a sitting couple so my husband and I did it together. It was totally fine as long as we were organised. Dogs didn’t need walking as there was an acre of land so that makes a big difference and birds were relatively simple. Also days started at sunrise and ended at sunset which helped with the heat. It was an adventure and a half! :heart_eyes::turtle::eagle::parrot::rooster::dog2::palm_tree::snake:

3 Likes

Well you two are pros. Our first sit was with 3 dogs and my husband and I were relieved we had our three teenagers to help split the duties and walks. Now after reading your post I realized we’re wimps. @Cuttlefish

1 Like