Sharing Facebook page w/Homeowners

Hi there my fellow sitters! I recently had a potential homeowner asked me for both my Facebook page, as well as a picture of my drivers license. I had no problem giving her both but I was just wondering if any of you have run into this, and what your opinion is of doing this? Thanks in advance! (I should probably mention she hired me!:wink:

1 Like

One of the previous home owners sent me a FB friend request a few months before the sit started, which I thought was pretty awkward (you can’t really refuse, can you?)
It turned out fine and we both got along well, but I still think it’s a bit weird…

1 Like

I have only been asked for my drivers’ licence when I will be using their vehicle, and to me that’s understandable.

My guess on the Facebook request is that the homeowner is hoping to get a glimpse of ‘the real you’. No doubt we all are on our best behaviour when applying for a sit, including any video chat, just as we would if it was a first date. Reviewing your social media may allow them to see you in a different light.

I have no concerns about sharing my social media links, as well as my blog. If it helps the homeowner to decide that I’m a good fit (or not), I’m fine with that.

5 Likes

In our profile, I give the page info for my facebook page and my blog for my online business, as well as my husband’s sites. You can’t put actual clickable links in the profile though. I have had a couple of people mention they looked at my blog and liked it, so I figure it can’t hurt to give people more information about you.

2 Likes

@Lizindesun yes its happened to me and i am on facebook with a few HOs (all of which I have sat for) I think it can help to build up a relationship but I only do it after I have sat for them and think we have connected well. I have sent copies of drivers license and passport detail . I think thats reasonable especially when you are new to sitting and dont have any or few reviews. I would not send passport detail now as they can see lots of reviews and know I am genuine but I still send driver license photos if they are leaving me a car so they can sort insurance. I always ask them to shred any paper copies they make rather than putting in bin (eg identity theft is a real issue) and deleting on their phone/laptop at end of sit; you dont want a lost/stolen laptop or phone falling into the wrong hands either!

1 Like

I don’t think I’d be agreeable to a homeowner asking for my FB profile but we’ve been asked to provide a copy of our driver’s licence and that was fine. We weren’t using their car but they just wanted identification.

3 Likes

When someone is opening up their home to you, and possibly, they are going to be out of their own Country while you sit, I see no reason to feel uncomfortable about supplying that info. I would not have any problem doing the same on my end as the HO. FB does give a glimpse into the real person, the truth about where they live, the type of individual they are can be assessed by their posts, so even though I have never asked for it, maybe it is time I did.

2 Likes

I guess I am in the minority here, but I do not have any personal info on my FB page. I only have an account to access businesses that require it. I do have FB group pages for organizations I manage. I do not want the world to be able to view my personal life. I was in a car accident in 2015 (not my fault) and asked for the other driver’s info. I was then able to learn everything about him from his FB page – the small town he was from, his job (or lack of one), his hobbies, he looked like someone with some problems … this felt very weird and invasive.

2 Likes

If a HO asked for my fb details, I might do as already suggested above and place the HO into a ‘group’ and I would limit what that group can see ie very few of my personal details.

2 Likes

I have had HO’s request a copy of my Passport and D/L, I was not using their Car, Insurance companies quite often request to see the details or if the property is a Rental then they need to give the details to their Landlord/Letting Agent.

1 Like