Sits in SE Asia - other sites to use?

Hi fellow sitters, we’re headed into Asia at the end of April for the rest of 2023. We have a 3 month sit in Sri Lanka lined up but the rest of Asia is super scarce for sits on here. Does anyone have any recommendations on what else to join? We have MMH & some of the International Expat FB pages so far. Thanks as ever :raised_hands:

1 Like

You can take a look at HouseSitSearch, it could give you an idea which site to join. MMH doesn’t let HOs from all countries join (at least this was the case 3 years ago). Facebook groups are probably going to be your best option

1 Like

You will find a few sits in Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and Singapore on THS. We have completed quite a few sits in the first 3. Most homeowners that list sits are international teachers and business expats so look for school holidays and set your alerts for then. It might also help to change your location to somewhere in the area. We were based in HCMC so a couple of the sits were invites. I currently have our location as India and received an invite just 2 days ago in Noerthern India. I’m not sure what timezone you are in atm, but most sits are super competitive, so you might have to go through and favourite all the relevant listings and make sure any alerts ping you loudly to wake up if you are potentially sleeping when they are posted so you can be one of the first to apply. This is especially important now with the five app cut off for the initial round. Good luck. We’ve lived and travelled extensively through that area so feel free to hit me up with any questions you might have.

3 Likes

Great advice and thanks @Timmy & @Timshazz - I might be in touch directly :raised_hands: we’re in Belgium sitting now and then in Turkey so didn’t want to be disingenuous by changing location before we arrived in Asia. Should I change it now? (Arrive Asia end of April) :thinking:

1 Like

They probably won’t start popping up until March (ish). So maybe leave it a while and change it once you have a better idea of your movements - hard I know because if you score a sit that might well change those plans. But you could still set all the favourites and maybe mention your plans in your profile right now. Homeowners with higher level memberships will receive notification that youve favorited their listing. I always update our profile for the forseeable future. (I’m just about to update it for the European summer in a week or so.) I’ll switch my location back to the UK about a month before we’ll arrive. With the current competitiveness you have to pull out all stops to score a sit in a desirable location. It is what it is…

My husband’s favourite English phrase “it is what it is” :wink:
Exactly so & thanks very much :pray:t2:

3 Likes

We would switch the location and wait for notifications for your “saved search”. I noticed that in areas with few sits like Iceland it can take minutes for a sit to hit 5 applicants.

2 Likes

From what I’m seeing atm, my favourites arrive well before my saved searches. Sometimes 10s of minutes before. Even then, they are sometimes gone. But any minutes are valuable in the current situation.

2 Likes

I find numerous sits become available in Singapore and South Korea (Jeju Island) in particular, sitting for teachers who go home or travel during school holidays. As someone else mentioned, look for school holiday dates in those places and keep an eye open. Jeju doesn’t seem to attract as many applicants as Singapore which is a very popular destination.

2 Likes

We joined ths early in 2022 after a lacklustre experience with another group. We have had 4 sits already in Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia. Met some wonderful people and their pets and have had the chance to get up close and personal in the locations of the sits.
Been trying to get a sit in Toronto for June or July without much luck to date. Will maybe try Timz change of location trick and steer away from our usual “we live in Ho Chi Minh City” introduction.
Any other feedback is welcome!

2 Likes