Japan/Korea sits anyone?

Hello fellow housesitters!
Wondering if anyone had any luck landing a sit in Japan or Korea. Everytime i look for sits in these countries, there are hardly any available sits, lots of sits that are already taken or in review, but never advertised. Does this mean the HOs usually invite sitters instead of advertising their sits? If so, any tips on overcoming this limitation? I already have these 2 places on my saved and favourites. Maybe its my phone, it’s an android phone. I read in the forum notifications for available sits appears well on apple phones, not so on Android phones. Maybe it’s a numbers game as well. Less sits available in these Asian countries vs Western Europe and the US.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve sat in Korea before. There are definitely fewer sits available but I think in both countries as well as other Asian countries many sits are filled by local sitters as they are often pretty last minute and not very long. Owners also seem to prefer sitters who either know the language or the local systems as there is a bit of an impression that it’s quite challenging in terms of what you can and can’t do (especially in Japan) and sitters unfamiliar with the system may struggle - I’m not saying I agree with that but that’s what I’ve heard from owners. Potentially your best bet might be Jeju where there are usually a few sits to be had from expats that work at the international schools and tend to go away for a week or two during the school holidays. But even then you will need to be quick!

2 Likes

Re receiving notifications of new sits. I’m looking for sits in Italy and by the time I receive notifications of new sits the popular ones are already reviewing applications.

So, I decided to do a little experiment. On one day I logged in several times an hour to check if any new sits had been posted. On that day 3 sits were posted and received 5 applications within 15 minutes and then disappeared from the site. I didn’t receive any notifications about those sits.

It looks like we need to be a bit more proactive if we want to sit in popular locations.

3 Likes

I did a 7 week sit in Korea last summer for a family whose parents were teachers in an international school. Korea definitely has more opportunities than Japan from what I have seen. These sits are not super common compared to other locations but you will definitely see a fair number, primarily for the summer since most of the sits seem to be listed by expats working in schools and are going back home to visit family or go elsewhere duting the extended break.

1 Like

What I figured out with Asia sits: Get expat teachers to recommend you to other teachers. That’s because they all go on break at the same time. I figured that out on Nomador, not THS, though.

1 Like

Most of the sits in Asia are posted by international school teachers. Find out when the school holidays are and set up some search criteria for around those dates (go wide so you get notified of them all) . Also search the locations and favorite all of those you feel might be suitable. That way you’ll get a notification (before the saved searches kick in.) Weve not done a sit in Korea or Japan, but I do get notifications in time to apply much of the time. But we are in the Asian timezone atm, so that may be the difference.

2 Likes

@Timshazz Sssshhhh :speak_no_evil::zipper_mouth_face: lol

1 Like

I’ve been looking for sits in Japan and Korea too. I’ve favorited lots of sits there. But when I get notifications they are already reviewing. I think you have to be online and refreshing your screen constantly 24 hours a day to apply for those sits. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

@systaran I have found that the sits which come up on Jeju Island, South Korea, don’t go as quickly. Maybe favourite some from there, it’s normally international teachers who advertise as Timshazz says.

2 Likes

And Jeju is fabulous. We spent 2 weeks there a few years ago!

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that most of the sits I’ve favorited there are international teachers. Maybe I’ll plan my trip around when the schools holidays are and set up a saved search for those dates.

My plan is to spend several months in Asia and Australia. Hopefully, I can get some sits!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experiment experience! You are 100% correct. You just have to check in the site for new sits throughout the day frequently.

Thanks for your quick and helpful response! I will definitely look into Jeju sits as they come up. You probably seen more of Korea than i have. Puts my Korean background to shame :slight_smile:

Thanks for your tip! I assume networking will be helpful amongst the international teachers community. Just need the first break into this group right?

Thanks so much for sharing your insight and experience! You sound like a seasoned sitter :slight_smile: :star_struck: where do you normally do your sits? I am in Sydney Australia. I followed your suggestions and redid my saved searches. Hopefully something comes up soon.

Yes, i know exactly what you experienced ! Hopefully we have better luck from now on :grinning:

That is an awesome tip thanks! I have been to Korea many times, but mostly mainland, Seoul. Will definitely look into Jeju.

1 Like

I am sure it was fabulous in Jeju! I am a Korean born Australian so i have been back to Korea many times, but only to Seoul. Always wanted to travel to Jeju. Hopefully it will happen with a good house sit :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan! Where do you normally do your international sits? I have only done sits in Sydney Australia where i live. Haven’t done any international sits yet, hopefully soon.

You sound like a seasoned sitter :star_struck: where do you normally do your sits internationally? I have only done sits in Sydney Australia as i live here. Hopefully i get to start international sits soon. Let me know if you need tips for sits in Sydney.