Sitter statistics

@Ruckusfan, thank you for your research and sharing your statistics. Statistics like that always fascinate me. I just tried a similar look at sitter numbers – I am a homeowner (as well as a sitter) and exactly 100 people have saved/favorited my listing. I used those 100 sitters (makes the division easier :wink:) as my group and here are the statistics for them:
21% have zero reviews
14% have 1 review
8% have 2 reviews
4% have 3 reviews
8% have 4 reviews
19% have 5 to 9 reviews
10% have 10 to 19 reviews
5% have 20 to 29 reviews
11% have 30 or more reviews
Some of the groupings of my 100 profiles show exactly the same results as your group of 432 profiles. The major difference is in the first and last categories, which I think makes sense. These 100 sitters are obviously actively looking to sit because they have taken the time to read my listing and save it for future notifications. You are certainly a more experienced statistician than I, but I just wanted to share my findings and see if you have any comments. Thanks for opening our eyes to this!

7 Likes

I was told that the profiles appearing on the Find a Sitter page were randomly generated. I was suspicious that the answer wasn’t entirely accurate because I refreshed the page once and I appeared there on the first page! The odds against that happening must be phenomenal.

@sledgejoyce ,

Your statistics are interesting too! I do not have anything meaningful to say about the numbers except to confirm your analysis (and I totally deny being a statistician!). What I can say is that you must have a lovely home in a very attractive spot to have been saved by so many! Congratulations!

2 Likes

Very interesting statistics! I was wondering about how long term sits might skew the results. As full time sitters with no actual home, we prefer the longest possible sits. A 10-month sit yields one review. Four years ago we did a short (week long) sit in a spectacular location and the home owners asked us back for a seven month sit later that year. We are currently in our 3rd seven month sit for them. We only left each other one review/feedback for that very first sit. In some situations the number of reviews don’t tell the whole story. Something to ponder…

3 Likes

You still could leave each other reviews/feedback- as a one week sit is a very different experience than a 7 month sit!
That’s assuming you are still confirming the long sits through the site?

1 Like

@Onharmonyroad

I’m pretty sure that the number of stars reflects the number of sits (including those where the home owner does not leave a review). If you’re confirming sits via THS, those sits are probably counted.

You’re correct about long sits counting the same as short sits, i.e. it counts as 1 sit whether it is overnight or 7 months.

Congratulations! I am envious of the great relationship you’ve developed with the home owner at your annual 7-month long sit. Don’t you think you should give someone else (like me?), a chance? :smile:

4 Likes

If the HO does not leave a review the sitter will get no star rating for that sit. We have done 58 sits but 2 hosts did not review us so we have only 56 (5*) reviews showing.

Thank you for dong and sharing your research!

2 Likes

@Lokstar

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that - I did not know. (Not that it changes anything, but it helps to enhance my illusion of control :crazy_face:)

1 Like

The app and the desk top version show things differently, which is sometimes confusing and imho showed be changed to show the same.
On the desk top you will see only the reviews and feedback that were given. E.g if you are looking for a sit on the desktop and see no previous sitter feedback it might look like the host is a first timer (which they may actually be!) But if you go on the App you might see that actually there were 3 previous sitters but no one left feedback! This would be a red flag to me. But a red flag you would miss if only using the desk top so always good to check both! Likewise the desk top shows only sits where the sitter received a review. You may then go on the app to check out a sitter and see there are one or more gaps where they did a sit and got no review. If you cross reference back and see they also gave the host no feedback this could be a big red flag something went horribly wrong (we have had that experience once & agreed no reviews either way!!) But…also if it was during Covid times the sit may have been cancelled but no one removed it from the host/sitter page so unless you ask you will not really know if it was a bad sit or a cancelled sit!
One more thing- if a sitter has private references, including pet sitting references arranged through other platforms, these will be listed separately on the desk top. E g 10 (5*) reviews through THS and 7 mixed private references below. But on the app these are all lumped together and show as 17 (5*) reviews!
All very strange. I always cross reference everything now when checking out sits/hosts/sitters. There are many clues to help you make appropriate choices!

3 Likes

This is very interesting. We’re in the 1% with 51 reviews. I thought, given how many members TH has, there would be many more than 1%.

1 Like

We have over 34 reviews on here and now you can link an Airbnb profile as well it should help host to decide if you are suitable for their homes and loved ones.
However even with 34 or more 5 stars and nearly 30 5 stars on on Airbnb after a video chats we also get declined.
I dont worry about why just that everyone is different.
Only advice is to work at it while on a sit, stay clean, walk dogs regularly, send photos, offer host that they can video call anytime they want to in day time hours.
Resupply milk, eggs and bread/butter for their return. So they can have a bite and a cup of tea coffee on return .
We also leave a bunch of fresh flowers.
We are very grateful for their trust in us.
This way you will get personal request for resits and loads of new friends all over the world.
The only thing now is that quiet often we dont get the chance to apply due to this new 5 apply rule.

2 Likes

@Lokstar off topic. You have a pie, maybe cake , emoji next to your name. I had one a few days ago then it disappeared. I didn’t add it and don’t know what it means. Do you know. Lol
Ann Marie

@ExploreDreamDiscover If you click on your username, you’ll see this:

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 5.42.57 PM

Happy Forum Membership Anniversary :birthday:

@Snowbird oh, I see. Anniversary of when I joined the forum. TY