The beautiful Isles of Scilly

With the uncertainty of travel to many destinations and the increase in ‘staycations’ for the UK I would like to bring your attention to a place that is off the radar for alot of people and that is the beautiful and stunning Isles of Scilly! I had four months over there not actually with THS but it did involve looking after farm animals and a lovely little terrier that was my constant companion walking around the coast of the main island Saint Mary’s and joining me on wild camps on most of the other inhabited islands. IOS (never say Scilly Isles!) is about two and a half hours from Penzance (Cornwall) by the only public carrier the ‘Scillonian’ and it’s not cheap to get there but worth the effort. The getting there is an adventure in itself as you have a good chance of seeing dolphin and even whales.; if the ship breaks down, which it did when I went, it might take longer to get there! I could rattle on for hours about these islands which are the jewels in the crown of UK travel, but just google some photos and you will see what I mean. Like the old travel adage says ‘If you never never go…you will never never know!’

11 Likes

I’ve wanted to go to the Isles of Scilly for so long! Looks absolutely gorgeous. Before the pandemic hit we were actually looking at doing a workaway on the Isles of Scilly, would have been amazing!

Your trip sounds amazing - do you have any photos?

Hopefully we’ll get there soon!

3 Likes

Thank you for taking us to the Scilly Isles @carpediem it does sound wonderful … one benefit of the pandemic curtailing travel is more and more of us appreciating the beauty of our own “back yards” … like @ChrisAndSuzeGoWalkies says we’d love to see some photos …

1 Like

Yes and a great workaway there is at Salakee Farm on Saint Mary’s. I spent four very happy months with Dave and Kylie…great hosts…if you friend me on FB (I am the bill snooks standing in front of tents…another workawy in Spain…you can access my photo albums on IOS. It is atruely lovely place to visit.

1 Like

just go to google IOS Angela…lots of photos there! I have some nice pics of the little terrier I spent four months with (not a sit as such) and if I can work out how to do it, I will post them! Cheers

2 Likes

You’ve just taken me on a lovely trip down memory lane. A long time ago I lived for 5 years in Cornwall (between Falmouth and Truro) and I took my mum and dad on a surprise anniversary visit to the Isles of Scilly by helicopter from Newquay. It was a beautiful sunny summer’s day with not a hint of rain… and then as we landed out of nowhere a big storm hit. We still managed to get to the Abbey Gardens on Tresco but the wind picked up and we had a long choppy cold return journey via the ferry as the helicopter was grounded! They both had a wonderful day though :slight_smile:

Last year my partner and I were locked down in Cornwall for 3 months, and as things opened up we looked into booking to visit again as a treat, but all the transport options were booked so quickly. We will return one day and very much look forward to it. Thank you for sharing!!

4 Likes

The Isles of Scilly is on my bucket list!
It looks so beautiful & I hope to visit one way or another
I’ve never noticed any petsits there so will be keeping my eyes peeled

4 Likes

Thanks Vanessa…yes it can get pretty choppy out there! As a point of interest while I was on Saint Marys I had abit of a health scare (suspected hernia pulling hay bales on a farm) and because they only have a local clinic I was flown to Lands End airport with a shuttle bus into penzance with a train voucher for Truro. After 2 days in hospital I made the return trip with a blue sky and calm weather all the way and the whole thing courtesy of our wonderful NHS …I hope to get another hernia if I ever go back!! If you are planning to go back, can I suggest you go to coincide with the World Gig Pilot Championship? The whole place is alive with people from around the world to watch the boats race…its one big party and if you want a good accom recommendation, I am happy to forward that. All the best.

3 Likes

Careful what you wish for :joy: That sounds like amazing service! If we make it back I’ll definitely be in touch for recommendations… things will have changed a lot since I was there I think! Take care!

yes i suppose you are right…but the vows from the air as you know are worth a hernia! All the best.

2 Likes

vows? that should read views!

2 Likes

@carpediem You can edit and correct typos … I would be LOST without that ability!!

Although that would remove the humor. :sweat_smile:

thanks…still learning the ropes on the system

1 Like

Some of my dearest friends live on.St Mary’s and we have spent Boxing day onwards with them… Flights can be a bit hair raising, but so worth it and hiking around the islands will be a real treat.
We even rescued a young seal that had puncture wounds. Called the vet and it was taken to the mainland… getting it into the carrier was a challenge for my husband Michael and friend Stuart! But all went well and we continued our hike.

Definitely worth going and we would house sit there whenever we got the chance!

4 Likes

Yes @RoseC the flights can be hair raising but what views as you approach! Some great walks on the islands. I really like St Agnes and St Martins. Did a Wild camp on Samson and lots of history there…the last permanent families did it tough! Yes seals are slippery customers but it sounds like that one gave u it’s SEAL of approval!:joy:

4 Likes

:clap: :joy: @carpediem

1 Like