The Power and Impact of what we do

Being a sitter since 2018 I have had the pleasure and privilege to meet some of the most extraordinary people I have ever known. Some are strangers I have interacted with briefly while traveling who have demonstrated kindness in very unexpected ways when I have needed it most. Most however have been home and pet owners.
Some of these people I have stayed in touch with for brief periods only simply because life happens and we have naturally drifted apart but the feeling, the memory of our time shared together, the conversations continue to stay with me.
Some however, continue to have an active and powerful presence. Currently I am caring for a home and cats for women I now consider dear friends. They lost their very elderly cat last December and have a new baby that I am thoroughly enjoying and watching the battle for dominance between the little one and the older boss lady in the house.
Just a few miles away is another wonderful lady I met in 2018. Her big beautiful boy passed just 3 weeks and that subsequently led to a cancelation of 3 sits. I booked another sit with another exceptional woman with 6 cats in Spain and extended my stay at an AirBnB for a personal holiday. My friends, where I am now have graciously offered me to stay with them if I would like :hearts:

Yesterday I met with my bereaved friend. We had not seen each other for over 2 years and we were both overwhelmed with emotion, a mixture of tears and laughter, long lingering hugs. We spent nearly 4 hours at a lovely restaurant enjoying Sunday brunch and catching up on each others lives. Afterwards we walked in Kelsey park, highly recommend but that’s a separate post.
My friend is taking some time to process the loss of her big boy and has asked me to come and stay at her home whilst she is away.
I can share many stories of the power and impact of the relationships I have made and I am so grateful to have them in my life and that I am able to be there for them as well, transcending any and all barriers.
What we do, the people and animals we meet can be transient, a way to pass time on the journey elsewhere and that’s ok. But it can also turn into something extraordinarily meaningful.
You just never know…
I am very ok without knowing and allowing more of these experiences into my space.

23 Likes

How wonderful @anon36831737
I just feel so very fortunate and truly moved at how this happens.
Very good stuff.

3 Likes

I think you’re one remarkable woman Ampraro and hope we can meet up one day

3 Likes

I’ve met some fabulous people and wonderful pets, many of who I keep in touch with. It’s just a fabulous lifestyle

3 Likes

Hi @Amparo Very touching…It is the not knowing and the unexpected pleasures in life that are a gift. :grinning:

2 Likes

YES 1000% it’s where the magic happens!

2 Likes

We never know why life takes us down a certain path until we know, a bit like falling in love, @Amparo your presence here on the forum is matched only by the stories and experiences you share, thank you.

1 Like

We have just finished our first three sits. Wow! The changes I am seeing in me as I “broaden the borders of my tent.” The opportunities we are afforded through THS have enriched my life and my thinking. We are blessed to be able to go into wonderful new homes and environments without having to own and maintain them, experience how others live and view the world. Sparks compassion and less criticism in me and much gratitude. My husband and I are having a wonderful time in this new adventure! Hope you all are too!

3 Likes

Yes, we’ve been able to continue our adventurous lifestyle through THS. It was an unplanned wrench in our lives when we had to sell our liveaboard boat in one week and became houseless. THS was our lifeline to continue traveling and we quickly confirmed four housesits. We have now completed those four and we had the pleasure of sharing our lives with wonderful pets and people. I love making it possible for a mother to help her daughter through surgery, a couple to visit parents, and others to travel for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic. Some of these people will remain lasting friends. The pets have also benefitted from our care (gone off meds, become more comfortable with strangers, expanded their experiences) and I think we had a large part in their progress.

I had no idea how we would fill the hole in our lives leaving our boat and the cruising community, but I think housesitting/petsitting has helped both us and others, and that is a wonderful thing.

6 Likes

Beautiful @AnnieNai
The impact can be very intentional for both the sitter and host. But these added, unexpected effects are truly blessings, gifts that sometimes we don’t even see them when they happen but they do.

1 Like