THS availability

Can someone explain why some sitters availability calendar is left blank whilst others have yellow highlighted weeks?
I get the crossed out dates, that’s obvious.
Thanks in advance :blush:

Nothing is obvious, but THS cannot get their act together to fix a key/legend. It has been a problem since forever.

Crossed-out dates are generated by the system for confirmed dates.

The highlighted dates are added by the sitters by hand. Few people bother. I did that for three weeks this summer that I have a sit not registered on THS, mostly for my own scheduling. But I did it “wrong”.

3 Likes

@EJPullen66

1. If the calendar is coloured in blue/green, then the sitter is available.
  2. If the calendar is white, then the sitter is unavailable
1 Like

Most sitters don’t bother trying to update the calendar, too complicated. All the official THS sits are automatically crossed out.

2 Likes

@EJPullen66 The white (unavailable) becomes confusing as it is also the default. I keep my calendar updated as best as I can but many do not bother or do not realise it is showing they are unavailable.

4 Likes

It’s useless. I get constant invites despite my calendar being up to date. It’s not user friendly.

3 Likes

I’ve not seen blue/green only yellow and crossed out dates.
I’ve been assuming no yellow or crossed out means that they are available :woman_shrugging:t3:

THS can you not respond to this and explain what is meant to happen or improve the system?

@EJPullen66 THS don’t respond to comments on the forum . You have to contact member services only for that
e-mail : support@trustedhousesitters.com

The link in my previous is from the THS Help section .

1 Like

Most sitters will never fill out the existing calendar, because they sit only sporadically. Why bother if so? They can just search for sits that meet their needs or preferences.

Personally, as a sitter I don’t care whether hosts ever invite me for sits via the existing calendar feature. That’s because the odds are terrible that timing, location, pets, home and other variables will line up. So why would I be motivated to fill out the calendar?

Agnostic of THS, for any calendar feature to work, there has to be enough incentive for the person making the effort — in this case sitters. My POV: THS can make that happen only by letting sitters indicate their preferences, such as dates and locations at bare minimum. Even better if they allow choices such as number and types of pets. Like what good does it do for a host to invite sitters if they have X pets and the sitters don’t ever want to do such a sit? Like I don’t need invites for pets I can’t handle.

1 Like

I don’t complete the calendar because it is hugely flawed. If someone glances and doesn’t know how to ‘read’ it, it actually makes us look like busy when we are not. Why would any calendar system leave it white when we are NOT available, yet make it look like we are busy when we are not. It’s a little silly.

3 Likes