THS Software Blocks Applications When One Sit Ends the Same Day Another Begins — How Do Traveling Sitters Handle This?

FYI — I’m asking specifically about a restriction in the THS software/calendar system — not about trying to hold two genuinely overlapping sits.

I’ve run into a calendar restriction in the THS software that seems especially problematic for traveling sitters.

Example: My current confirmed sit ends on October 8. I’ve found another sit I’m ‘interested in’ that begins on October 8. However, instead of allowing me to apply or even initiate a conversation about whether the timing might be workable, the THS software displays:

“You’re busy with another sit. Know someone who’d love this sit? Share this listing.”

That is the part I find particularly restrictive for traveling sitters. The software is looking only at the calendar dates and determining that I am already “busy,” when those dates alone do not tell us whether another sit is actually feasible.

A departure date from one sit and an arrival date for another are transition days. Whether another sit ‘might’ work depends on many things that the calendar software cannot know: What time are the Pet Parents returning? What time do the next Pet Parents need the sitter to arrive? How far apart, distance-wise, are the two sits? Is the sitter driving, flying, or perhaps doing both? Are either of the arrival or departure times flexible?

In my current example, I can’t even contact the Pet Parents for the October 8 sit to ask those questions. The software has already decided I’m unavailable before any of us can even ‘determine’ whether I actually am.

And I think the issue is broader than this particular same-day example. Traveling sitters often need some flexibility around both the arrival and departure boundaries of confirmed sits simply to explore what might be possible next. Being able to contact someone does not mean a sitter is committing to an overlapping sit. It simply allows both parties to exchange enough information to determine whether the sit is feasible in the first place.

I wonder whether THS could build some transition flexibility into the software — perhaps allowing sitters to communicate with and apply for sits within a limited transition window around the beginning and end of an existing confirmed sit, while still preventing anyone from actually confirming genuinely conflicting sits.

To be clear, I’m not suggesting that THS should allow sitters to confirm genuinely conflicting sits. THS can still protect against conflicting confirmed dates without preventing a sitter from investigating a potentially workable sit. Allowing an application or conversation is not the same thing as allowing a confirmed double-booking.

Even allowing a one-day transition window on either side would be much more workable than completely preventing communication based solely on the dates.

For those of you who travel from sit to sit, have you encountered this? How do you handle it? Is there an existing THS feature or legitimate workaround that allows you to communicate with Pet Parents about a potentially workable sit when the software currently considers you “busy”?

Hmmm, only a couple of days ago I accepted two sits ending/starting on the same day. No problem. I have also done it before without any issues. So this must be either a very new improvement or some sort of a temporary glitch

Sits that start the same day that another finishes are permitted . We have done them on several occasions .

https://support.trustedhousesitters.com/hc/en-gb/articles/14681549146397-Can-I-book-back-to-back-sits

I suggest that you Contact member services via live chat ask to speak to a human.

This is a system glitch. It IS possible to apply for a sit on the same day another sit ends. Just yesterday I did exactly that. However I have also experienced what you describe and its very frustrating to be blocked from applying. In one case by the time I’d got THS on the case and they’d actually fixed the glitch I’d missed out on the sit I’d been trying to apply to. Contact membership support directly and maybe you’ll get it sorted out in time. Good luck

Could it be to do with the arrival and departure times specified in the listings? I can’t imagine the software is that sophisticated but who knows?

Hey there, thanks for answering this and I would love to know how you’re doing it because on my end in the THS app it specifically says you are busy with another sit. Meaning I am scheduled to leave for example on October 8 so I cannot even look at another sit that would start October 8 - the system i.e. the TrustedHouseSitters software sees me as being ‘busy.’ Busy with another sit so I don’t know how you’re able to do it,and why I’m not, but this has happened more than once and TrustedHouseSitters doesn’t have any other explanation for it other than saying that they do it so that we’re not double booked. And that’s not what I’m trying to ask about; obviously I wouldn’t wanna book 2 sits at the same time, but I would maybe want to do what you guys said you did and leave one sit on the same day as I arrive at the second sit. I’m just not seeing a way to do that in the TrustedHouseSitters software ; therefore I can’t even communicate with the possible next sit, and ask them or apply for this sit if the system has me blocked, but thanks a lot for letting me know that you can do it.

Have you tried using the TrustedHousesitters website and not the app @PawsAndPlaces as that can make a difference?

I am not doing anything. No tricks. It appears there might be some technical issue on your end. Try desktop/mobile. Try reinstalling your mobile app

@PawsAndPlaces

Contact THS via live chat ask to speak to a human

@PawsAndPlaces You should be able to book same day end/start. My current sit ends on the 8th and I have another starting the same day.

I wonder if it matters if HOs put in arrival/departure times. My current sit has departure times but the next one has arrival time TBA. Maybe it’s being blocked for you due to overlapping departure/arrival times in the listings?

I have frequently done sits that start and end on the same day without issue. I only ever use the website though and have never used the app at all. Maybe worth trying via the website instead?