Transitioning to being a pet owner as well as sitter

Hi,
myself and my family have been members since last summer and have completed numerous sits. We have just got a rescue kitten, totally unplanned, and I predict we will need an experienced sitter in the future as we are going to get another, and also have fish, hamsters, and a room full of toxic plants which it’s imperative the cat doesn’t get in to. So need to be super trustworthy. I was just looking at options, and i am shocked at the amount it costs to get the combined membership. Is there any way of just having a pet owner membership? would I have to cancel my current sitters membership to do this? It’s a bit awkward as we have a sit coming up on may 17th, so obviously don’t want to cancel before then. But the date we will need a sitter from is the week after. I can’t really afford the combined membership, and i’ve noticed a real lack of decent sits being available recently so i’m not sure it’s worth the extra money of having it. But it’s possible because i’ve stopped looking at the website every few hours, i’m missing all the good sitting options? I’m also really nervous about the state of our old, lived in family home. The places we have stayed in have been of a very high standard and we simply can’t keep ours that clean for longer than 5 minutes - I don’t personally feel it’s that bad, especially compared to our friends and peers, but it seems that people on THS have very high standards and it’s a bit anxiety inducing!

I’d love to have input from home owners, as well as sitters, and get some thoughts on how to prepare potential sitters that they’re not coming to an air BNB, especially considering we need experienced people who also love plants!
thanks

Hi, I have done 13 sits on THS and feel terrible every time I leave my own scared rescue kitty, though I have a wonderful pet sitter for her. I have been entertaining the idea of becoming a THS HO also but can’t imagine getting my house in good enough order! I think if I did that I’d have to hire a house cleaner to do a lot of heavy, deep cleaning. I can’t address your concern about the cost of combined membership - sorry. However, I am a professional pet sitter and charge $20/visit (I’m in the US). That’s what my pet sitter charges as well, so I have to add in the total I pay her each time I’m away when I’m considering spending money on a THS sit. I only go within a day’s drive, so at least I don’t have to pay airfare. My cat, and many cats I take care of, only need one visit a day. However, some of my clients hire me for overnights, which I charge $75/night. Depending how long your sits are, it may be cheaper for you to pay a cat sitter to come in a time or two each day than to pay the homeowner membership fee on THS. Good luck in your decision!

1 Like