Travel Scotland - The Kelpies

Standing 30 metres (100ft) tall, The Kelpies stand majestically above all around them and pay homage to the working horses of Scotland which used to pull barges along Scotland’s canals and worked in the fields in the area where they now stand. Towering over a new canal extension which links the Forth & Clyde Canal to the North Sea, The Kelpies are the result of a unique collaboration between the partners and Glasgow-based artist Andy Scott. Almost a decade in the making, the project has transformed 350 hectares of underused land between Falkirk and Grangemouth into a vibrant parkland, visitor attraction and marine hub with the canal and The Kelpies at its heart.

Image Credit: Travel Scotland

Until we had visitors I had no idea these 30-m.-high steel sculptures existed …
What treasures have you discovered in your “back yard” or in the “back yard” of a sit you’ve been staying at?

10 Likes

They look amazing @Angela_L. Hopefully we get a chance to visit them in April. Thanks for sharing.

@Angela_L Wow! Amazing… we will have to go and see these next time we are in the area. Thank you for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow! I’m (hopefully) headed to Scotland this June for some pet sits. I’ll look for these if I can.

1 Like

The Kelpies are indeed amazing. A visit to the Falkirk Wheel near The Kelpies is so interesting as it is an incredible piece of engineering linking the Forth & Clyde Canals that are at different levels. Going up in it gives a wonderful view of the surrounding landscape and an appreciation of what this structure has been able to do.

5 Likes

Wow! Amazing… place…

1 Like