Turkish Delight - Post for travel and house sitting tips

Turkey is great, you’ll enjoy your holiday there very much. Just stay away from the carpet shops :slight_smile:
I’ve been in Turkey many times, there’s a ton to see. But certainly, Pamukkale and Cappadocia are fantastic. If you get time it’s worth going to mount Nemrut after Cappadocia, those big heads are incredible! Also Goblekitepe is the oldest (by far) man made temple, I wouldn’t miss it if you get the time.
Food is great and a very good deal. Go to the local “lokanta”
Make sure to try as much of the Turkish cuisine as you can: Menemen, kaşar, soup, black tea, coffee, Adana kebab, manti, pilav, köfte, döner, kokoreç, kumpir, gözleme, pide, baklava, sütlaç, kazandibi(!!) and of course, raki and efes beer.
I wish you lots of fun!

6 Likes

Thanks for these tips and Goblekitepe was the reason we started on this exploration!! Have you been? Did you self-drive? Any tips for places to stay along the way?

Really looking forward to the food :slight_smile:

1 Like

At Sanliurfa you can rent a taxi to take you to Göbeklitepe. it’s pretty easy to get to by bus also. Check the schedule at the archeological museum. It’s not super frequent, but it’ll take you right there.
Also if you are planning to visit a lot of archeological sites, you can get museum pass and it includes almost all archeological sites and museums in Turkey
You don’t need to care about accommodation There are lots of nice hotels along the way.

2 Likes

Perfect… thanks for this @paulag and to everyone else providing tips and advice… my map is filling with “stars” of places to visit … but keep them coming!