Unread applications and non responses

Hi @NovaStar … To confirm that when a message is sent it is instant. When a homeowner reads it, the unread immediately changes to read. @mars I have asked our tech team to look into the sync’ing of the read messages from the App to the Website inbox.
I can understand the frustration of planning, when your messages go unread, and as @Angela_L mentions, we constantly encourage our members, to read and respond to all messages.

2 Likes

Some HOs are listing but not ready to start going through applications. I’ve had a reply that the HO was out if town and would start going through them when they return. I withdrew one application because it was unrend for a week and they replied that they had been away. For me I cancel my app and move on if the timeframe for replies doesn’t work for me depending on the listing. When I cancel I only mention that it was because there seemed to be no interest . Sometimes I mention I’ve accepted another invite if that’s the case. I’ve been creating labels too for unread, no reply,…etc
As a sitter I always reply in what most people would consider timely.

@Nici
Yes I’ve found that I’ve connected with several HOs that feel the way I do about replying to messages :slightly_smiling_face:

Could this be the reason you never heard from your presumptive host again?

One of the pet owners complains on Trustpilot:
“Also, the way messages are laid out in our Inboxes is confusing. I often have a hard time knowing WHICH sitters/message chains in my Inbox have a NEW message for me to read!”

I thought about this yesterday: if there is a HO on here reading this thread, I would LOVE to know HOW responses to your ads appear to you. Do you get an email prompt? What does that email say? How are responses stacked? If I am between 0 to 3 in applications, do you see my application before the 20 who applied after me? Does the fact that I send a polite ‘chaser’ after 10 days appear as a new application or is it instantly and clearly linked to my application as applicant number 1, 2 or 3?
Curious!

3 Likes

Hi @LTD as a sitter and now a new HO I just listed my sit. I got 19 applications in 24 hours and received an auto emai from THS notifying me that I had a new application from (insert name) for every applicant. The applications appear in my THS inbox in the order they came in with the first/oldest application at the BOTTOM of the inbox list. The later ones are then stacked on top of that, much like emails are done with the most recent messages at the top. In fairness to the applicants, I went back to my email inbox which shows the date & time the application came in and I answered them in that order. You will be pleased to know the firstmapplicant was invited but that was only because I took the time to manually check the order the applications came in. But if I just relied on the THS inbox and went top to bottom I would be reading the most recent applications first not the the first application first. If the first applicant had sent me another message then their message would go to the top of THS inbox list. All subsequent messages from the applicant are linked to their application as a message thread not a new application. Hope this answers your query.

2 Likes

ThanK you. That’s v v interesting, and actually, sort of what I thought was happening. That’s bizarre. IMO, I think HOS are very stressed and anxious when posting to leave their house, home, and pets in the hands of a mere stranger, so for them to scroll to the BOTTOM of a list is just not going to happen!

About unread messages.
When I apply is it possible that HOs are looking at my profile although my appl is unread?
Ann Marie

@ExploreDreamDiscover I’m not a homeowner here so I can’t answer that part. I will mention that if a member - owner or sitter - reads their messages ONLY on the app, it will show on the website as unread. However, either way deserves the respect of a response, but that would depend on the timeframes involved. By that I mean how long since you sent your application. Again, that timeframe also varies, depending on each person’s lifestyle.

If it’s read on the app will it show up as read on the app?
As for the timeline, unread for 7 days and listing says no longer looking for sitter. I’ll cancel appl for this one.

2 Likes

@ExploreDreamDiscover that’s something I haven’t tested, so I’ll tag @Therese for her response when she’s next online. I’m not sure whether you mean for the person who sent the message, or for both homeowner and sitter. Perhaps Therese can address both scenarios when she replies.

Really just looking for an answer for my original question . My thinking is HOs see you applied then look at your profile. If you’re not a good fit they don’t read the application. I’m a sitter only and wondering if this is a process a HO would use.
(About unread messages.
When I apply is it possible that HOs are looking at my profile although my appl is unread?
Ann Marie)

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I wanted to know.
@Pawtastic

2 Likes

That’s interesting @Pawtastic . In what ways have the profile and application been different?

I agree that doesn’t sound right, and I would not feel very trusting of those applicants. Homeowners must feel able to trust their sitters as they will be looking after their pets and their house.
I think I would pass by applications like the ones you describe. Gut instinct is really important. I think you’re right to be wary.
I hope you’ve had better applications since.

2 Likes

We’ve had a couple of no replies and also a couple of messages out that haven’t been read.
This might have been said already but another site I’m on shows the reply ratio for HO and sitters, and archives messages automatically after 5 days if they haven’t been replied to.
It could also be useful to have standard reply option to say ‘no thanks’ - some people find it hard to do and if it’s just a click of a button may make a reply more likely.

1 Like

This should be mentioned on the official website of THS. Potential members should be informed of this reality before they decide to join.

My success rate is about the same or worse, but I am very selective, I only apply for ones that I really like (and there are not many).

1 Like

Hi @DKNZ Keep in mind that the forum is a great opportunity for you to get constructive feedback from experienced homeowners and sitters. If you embed your sitter profile in your forum username/profile you may decide to make some changes that may just make all the difference. :sun_with_face:

1 Like

Many, many sitters are crying out for changes in this area. I really dont know why THS isnt more proactive in this regard. Now they have brought in a pause function once a HO has had 5 applications which to me, feels like a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

3 Likes

Thanks for that @Snowbird i was wondering how to embed our profile :blush:

1 Like