Video chat. What's your experience?

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Meeting in person certainly would be ideal and the best way to really see if it’s a real good match. I have never had that experience. I guess in that case it would be an instant acceptance if it is a good match and it would probably feel a bit more awkward to refuse on the spot, especially if the issues are a bit embarrassing to address, in my case, I would feel embarrassed to say that it’s not clean enough for my standards.

I’m curious, did the “2 hour” video chat work out in the end? If it didn’t, was it explicit during the chat or later?

2 Likes

We have accepted the sit which is due to go ahead this month. I can completely empathize with The HO’s in this sort of situation, having their trust broken so badly. Luckily they were able to rally some previous sitters who were able to help out at the time. We’ve also been let down by a HO lately so can relate on some level.

4 Likes

Our experience as a couple, full time sitters, mainly housesitting internationally and for a longer periods (we are from the UK). We never declined a sit after the video chat with the homeowners, I think we just being lucky to apply for a sits with a kind and positive vibe all around. Sometimes, if the sit is in a rural location we ask in our application if is possible to use their car (if is not stated in the listing) as we found is quite expensive to rent for a couple of months or longer. If the car is not available at all, we usually withdraw it (checking the car rental options first) but we’ve done it maybe once or twice and it’s nothing to do with the homeowners. We have only been declined once after the video chat, the HO decided to go with other sitters from the US to “give them a chance to explore the UK”. But we stayed in contact and actually we are going to sit for them next month.
We are getting random declines after our application is sent and pre video call but they might vary, sometimes is that we are not local or they prefer solo sitters (and that is not stated in the listing) or they want sitters with more reviews or just accepted first applicant.

Our video chats with HOs are always friendly and we never felt like is an interview. Some of them are shorter, some of them longer but we always ask quite a lot of questions, especially if it’s a longer sit and in remote location. I would say the proportion of question asked is 50/50 but new HO might ask more. My partner is very chatty and he just knows how to talk to people, he also had already huge pet/housesitting experience before we met and I think it helps a lot. I think the homeowners appreciate this but we also sat for a very relaxed people wanted us to just have a great time in their house and not too worry about the things. Our longest chat was about 2.5 hours :rofl: with a very relaxed and chatty owner, we are actually sitting at her place right now.

I always write a list of questions before the chat but depends from the listing, for example today we are set for a chat with a first time HO, 2 weeks long sit and the listing doesn’t really say much so we’ll ask more questions and probably the owners might be stressed a bit as is their first experience on TH so it could be a longer chat. Over the last two years of sitting as the couple I’ve learnt a lot (and from this forum) what to ask and also how to spot any red flags, reading reviews etc. We’d never accept the sit without the call first. And we would decline if we’d feel any bad vibe from the HO, demanding personality, hidden responsibilities…at the end it must be mutual match and fair exchange. If we would have to decline I would write just something like “it’s not a good match for us” or that we accepted another sit.

4 Likes
    • What do you feel is the proportion of questions asked (owners/sitters)?**

It’s an equal conversation. We do have a list of questions that are deal breakers for us -and ask these only if aren’t already covered in the listing ( vet arrangements/ any medical conditions/ treatments to be aware of : how long pets can be left alone / how often and where dogs are walked / confirm date and time that hosts need the sitter to arrive / depart and will they be providing a welcome guide / when ? ) Generally the answers come up naturally in the conversation- but I have it as a crib sheet to refer to in case there is some that we haven’t covered and we will ask at the end . All our questions relate to care of the pets and not for example about what there is to do in the area. The reviews that we have received often mention that our questions reassured the
hosts that their pets would be well cared for.

• Who does usually take the leading part in the chat, the owners or the sitters?**

It’s been more of a natural conversation which is 50/50

• When the other party doesn’t go ahead, do you know what didn’t work?**

We’ve not been declined after a VC (so far) . If it happens in the future and we get the impression (or are informed ) that we were declined for asking “too many” or the “wrong type “ of questions ; then I think it will probably be the best outcome for us to not be offered the sit .

The was one application when we were told that we had made the hosts “shortlist” & were now competing against some other sitters for the same dates . We withdrew our application . We don’t need the stress of trying to convince them to choose us over another experience sitter - which might pressure us to compromise on some of our deal breakers . If our application and profile hasn’t convinced them, that we are the best fit then we move on and look for another sit .

• When it is you who decline, do you tell the other party why?**

We’ve only withdrawn our application once after a VC and this was because two issues came to light during the conversation with the hosts. The dates were listed incorrectly (so the sit was shorter than listed ) and the dogs had to be driven to a location for their daily walks . Whilst we got on well with the owners during our conversation, who were happy to go ahead and confirm us as sitters, these two factors didn’t suit us . We withdrew our application shortly after the conversation and explained the reason, keeping it friendly and thanking them for the video call and explaining the reasons that it didn’t suit us this time.

3 Likes

Every time I’ve done a video chat, I’ve landed the sit (except when I’ve withdrawn, because I didn’t trust or like the host).

The pattern tends to be: I don’t ask a bunch of Qs, nor do the hosts. That’s because I’ve already screened for compatibility via the listings and ruled out many hosts — ones who are micromanaging, entitled, think they’re hiring, etc.

I ask only dealbreaker Qs, and only when I think necessary.

I always consider myself an equal to hosts and note in my application that I’m happy to chat and see whether there’s a mutual fit.

Note: I approach that way even with employers who pay me, so why wouldn’t when I’m doing something entirely voluntarily? Why doesn’t everyone? (Some sitters actually think or behave in inferior ways because of what they think are great sits. To me, I don’t compromise on my equality, no matter how great a sit might be. That’s a choice we all get to make. Some people give away their agency and power and are more likely to be taken advantage of.)

My sitter profile also is robust, aimed at addressing hosts’ concerns. I’ve already put myself in their place and answered Qs that haven’t been asked, so there are few things left to ask.

As for overall process: I’ve earned a healthy living via the written word over decades and have done a lot of hiring, so I screen that way better than many. I also can get a good read when I video or phone chat with folks. If I hadn’t figured out how, my livelihood wouldn’t have gone well enough to allow me to comfortably sit via THS.

I’ve also observed power dynamics and human psychology since I was a kid. I’ve put decades of reading and observations to use.

Of course, I continue to learn and observe. That’s a large part of why forums, sitting and traveling are fun.

One key thing that’s been super valuable to me in life: If it’s not life or death, very few things are that important. If so, don’t over invest or over think. Control what you can within reason and let things unfold.

To me, sitting is icing, so I’m not going to sweat it.

8 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, Maggie.

It’s all about mutual selection - not one party going in with the ‘Please please choose me’ mentality. That for sure always repels and backfires spectacularly!

5 Likes

Absolutely. And while travel is amazing, to me self-care will always be more important.

Don’t let yourself down by making compromises or talking yourself into things you’ll regret. And while life lessons are valuable, even better if you can learn from other folks’ missteps and avoid them entirely.

Personally, I started observing that young and have saved myself lots of needless grief.

5 Likes

I’m fully on board with you on this. We have to prioritize our own wellbeing as well as our sanity at the end of the day. Nobody else is ever going to do that for us so we need to be making sure that we ourselves make that a top priority.

To me, if I have an inkling that something is amiss somewhere during the conversation, I always pay attention to that. Anytime time I didn’t in the past, I always got stung and it’s just not worth the aggro and the headache.

4 Likes

Yep, also a plus 1 here. We do exactly the same.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience
@Maggie8K

I completely agree.

@Silversitters

That is my experience with successful video chats. Unlike you, I have been declined more than once after a video chat and in those occasions it seemed to be me asking more questions.

@Sunny44, I’m impressed by the length of your longest video chat. I think my longest have been a bit over an hour and it felt like we were long time friends.

1 Like

@Newpetlover this is an interesting topic as I’m still new (7 sits complete, 2 more confirmed) and learning so much from this forum and from experience. From this I’ve built up my own list of questions, usually where the answer is in the Welcome Guide but of course we don’t get to see that until after the sit is confirmed.

I’ve had the opportunity to visit the HOs of 2 of the sits, which was lovely. For the other sits I’ve had 1 phone call and the remaining have been video chats. The HO for my most recent confirmation was particularly flexible in finding a time for our call.

I start our conversation by explaining that much of the information might be in the Welcome Guide but I’d feel more comfortable knowing it to help us be sure that the sit and I are a good fit. A few times the HO has said they’d add this additional to their Welcome Guide, hopefully going forward I’ll remember to suggest they might add it to their listing.

• What do you feel is the proportion of questions asked (owners/sitters)?

Each time the HOs didn’t have any questions for me, so it was 100% sitter. HOs have said that my profile, references and reviews give them confidence.

• Who does usually take the leading part in the chat, the owners or the sitters?

I’ve taken the lead in all these conversations which feels weird. Even so, occasionally I get the feeling that the HO thinks the decision is only theirs.
On one of the video calls the HO and I discovered a shared love of gardening, and I took plants from my garden with me for her - she has some from hers ready for my next visit!

All of these calls have resulted in a confirmed sit, although I wonder if I should have declined the 4 day sit where the HO picked her teeth during the video call, but was fairly local and was only 4 days and a big bonus was that I gained experience in caring for poultry.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Why do you think you should have? Did the house reflect his lack of manners?

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but I’m not used to having the person I’m talking with picking their teeth. Rudeness? Disrespect? Or just simply different values. All of these could be why the sit experience (I’ll spare you the yucky details) was such that I was glad it was only 4 days.

5 Likes

@Newpetlover yes, that was a really long chat and not only about the potential sit and responsibilities but we had a time so no problem. And the same, it felt like chatting with a friend. The owner is lovely (we are at her house atm). Yesterday we had a call with a new HO and that was 25 min chat so typical I would say. Only one more longer call I remember, was also with a new HO, more that 1 hour for sure but that was a sit with multiple dogs (one disabled) in a tropical country, the HO was stressing about a lot of things so I understand.

If I get to video chat, I get the sit. I am have been offered a video chat, then declined. Once because the HO had a few dates open and one sitter was able to do more than one so they got the sit. And another, the husband made the decision, when the wife wanted me and I didn’t get it. But it made me look at my profile and I noticed I had not updated it since I started and didn’t have a sit review. So I changed that. Because I couldn’t figure out what had him decline me after his research. But I am up for a better sit now in the same area, so it all works out.

Thanks for your contribution.

Lucky you!

It works out for me too. Although my application has been declined at different stages, I never really mind not getting a sit; other sit opportunities open up and staying at home, visiting friends and family or travelling otherwise are always open options. For me, housesitting is just a hobby.

1 Like

Hi, I haven’t read through the other answers, but here are mine on first thoughts (owner, here):

• What do you feel is the proportion of questions asked (owners/sitters)?
      I really have no idea. Most questions I’m likely ask are probably based on what they say in their profile, past reviews, or specific to something else (like: I don’t have central AC and it’s been hot, are you OK with just the window unit in the bedroom? Or: I’m not taking my car - Do you know how to drive a stick/standard transmission?
    • Who does usually take the leading part in the chat, the owners or the sitters?
      Again, it varies, but I think it’s usually me. In part, because I’m the one with something to “show” them - I give a tour of the house and cats, show them where I keep food and litter boxes, etc.
    • When the other party doesn’t go ahead, do you know what didn’t work?
      I think I only had one - maybe two - video calls that didn’t result in a sit. There was a couple that I felt uneasy with, and maybe they sensed that, because they actually declined the sit.
    • When it is you who decline, do you tell the other party why?
      Usually the true and real reason why is just that I “found a better match” so that’s what I tell them.

I want to add this: usually, all the relevant information about the house location, cat care, etc., is clearly laid out in the listing, and my WG is very complete. My experience is that the video chat is largely a chemistry check, and to give the sitter a visual sense of the house and the cats. It’s to make sure we both feel good about the sit. If I have a good feeling at the end of the chat - and I almost always have - (and I only schedule one video call, so it’s never the case that I “have a few more calls”) I’ll say at the end of the chat “I really enjoyed talking to you and would love to have you stay. If you feel the same, I send you an invitation to sit as soon as we hang up.” They’ve almost always (maybe always, except for the one couple) said yes.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing.
You sound like an ideal host. I completely agree that the listing, in the case of the HO, and the application + profile (sitter’s side) should be specific enough for the chat to be mostly to check if we can form a good team. Unfortunately, many listings lack relevant information so, before accepting the sit, I need to make sure what I’m signing up for and that the owners are willing to share a WG in advance.

I also think it’s great that you

If you are not happy with the result you can always keep searching.

1 Like

Our process is very similar to yours. I don’t send the WG before the video chat but for the current sitters I sent a one page, detailed description of our dog’s personality, behaviour, habits and foibles. That way they can make an informed decision — he’s a lovely and loveable dog but is outside and off leash in our rural area which is not the norm on THS. I decided to do this based on questions previous sitters sent us during the sits.

We don’t believe in treating the selection process the way you would hiring an employee. We decide who to chat with first and if my husband and I give each other thumbs up off screen we offer the sitter the sit right there. After the call we send the welcome guide and let them read it before they accept.

The day before we had the scheduled video chat with our current sitters, another sitter applied who would probably been our first choice for a call. We explained the situation and have since invited her to apply for other dates, though she was not available for them.

2 Likes

I just got a 2 week Feb sit in Fl, pool, don’t have to walk the dogs, no video chat. Just offered. Took it, but feels a little weird not to have a video chat. I am happy to be out of the north in winter.