Warning Of BBQ Dangers To Pets

Warning of BBQ dangers to pets.

Veterinarian Joanna Woodnutt has told Newsweek Alice Gibbs of the biggest dangers our pets face during BBQ season, with hot coals and even sausages posing dangers for dogs.
“Threats to pet safety are more prevalent as we approach summer and barbecue season,” Woodnutt explained. … Read how to help keep your pets safe at BBQ time. #safety #help

How do you keep your pets safe when socializing out doors?

2 Likes

I think it’s probably a good idea to never give dogs food humans eat right from the start

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this, very educational as sadly a few years ago my friends Spaniel ate corn on the cob at a BBQ that must have fallen on the ground or something, no one knew.
Her dog became very sick a few days later and was rushed to the vet and sadly the inside of the cob was stuck and blocked the bowls, I won’t go into details but tragically it wasn’t a happy ending.
I do not like to share stories about pets that do not end well, but it was a learning experience for sure, many people do not know about the dangers of corn on the cob with dogs and how accessible it can be at a BBQ.

1 Like

I was going to say the same thing, plus it encourages bad behavior imo.

1 Like

That is so sad :disappointed:

My previous dog got into some trash someone had left on our yard, and there were chocolate chips. I had to rush him to the vet hospital. They had to induce him to vomit, and luckily was okay from that event, but it was a learning experience for sure. Also always good to make sure to take a look outside first before letting dogs go outside unsupervised or off the leash.

2 Likes

Scary, that corn cob!

The dog on my sit now had puked in the living room. Just water essentially, and a few pieces of a branch that he had been gnawing into pieces in the park.

It was a few days ago, and everything is normal.

(When I had been worrying about the pizza slice that he had found last week…)

1 Like

@wendy_chicago Glad, your previous dog was okay after that scary incident.

Also, great advice to keep the dog on the leash, as the dog in question was just loose hanging out with everyone at the BBQ in the yard and probably seized the opportunity then!

@pietkuip Yes, sadly the vet said corn on the cob is a common issue in dogs, I had no idea!

I hope the one that you are caring for is okay now? Oh gosh, glad the pizza slice was not an issue!

1 Like

I have a string of multilingual commands
“ fuera, sal de aquí, out, no, go to bed…”
Seems to work

1 Like