We Want Your Tails ... Oops Sorry TALES!

@Amparo
An example of why I’m so grateful for the lifestyle and experiences of house and pet sitting is a serendipitous chain of events that started with just one housesit.

Back in 2018, I returned to the States after spending 6 months housesitting in Panama and Costa Rica. I decided to slow travel by train and bus, making my way back to Chicago, so I flew to Atlanta, spent some time with friends and searched THS for housesits. I had never been to South Carolina, so I applied for a two-week housesit there. I didn’t have recent horse care experience, but the HO took a chance on me. I cared for 4 gorgeous horses, 3 cats and 4 active dogs and it is still one of the best experiences in my housesit adventures. She and I hit it off because we had so much in common, so it was natural to stay in touch. In 2019, when the caretakers of her property in Antigua had to return home to the States unexpectedly, she called me and asked if I could take care of the house until it sold. She paid for my travel round trip to the island, and I spent 4 wonderful months in a gorgeous house perched on the side of a mountain overlooking the ocean , in one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever visited.

I spent a month in SC last summer helping and supporting as she packed up her mom’s home and moved her into assisted living. I invited her to my son’s wedding last fall (which we had to postpone because of you-know-what), and I’m on the guestlist for her daughter’s wedding next year. We talk at least once or twice a week and I consider her one of my closest friends and confidants.

All because I decided to take a chance and apply for a housesit at a small horse farm in South Carolina.

8 Likes