What are the main differences between England's supermarket brands

It affects us in NZ as well.

I pay $12 (will check the amt again) for a large bag of Aussie red grapes…

Farmers markets are great when I can get to the good ones :+1:

1 Like

Our produce prices for most veg should be back to normal in a few months when the newlly planted crops come through. In contrast bananas from far north Queensland (my state) are 99 cents per kilo in the supermarkets and my local grocer was giving a couple of kilo away to customers last week. But several years ago after a cyclone when all the banana crops were deztroyed they were $14 per kilo instead of $2. We live in such a vast country that normally where some crops are destroyed other areas can still produce but winter is different. Queensland feeds the rest of Australia for veges over winter due to our warm winter temps. If there is a weather event at thexwrong time then we get what us happening now.

It would be an interesting forum thread to compare prices around the world on a standard basket of groceries or staples.

BTW the cheapest petrol here (E10) is $2.20 per litre & mortgage interest rates have increased. We are getting hit from all sides like everyone around the world. It will pass in time…

5 Likes

@Angela_L, I am currently outside of Glasgow so my two options here are Aldi or Sainsburys. Aldi is by far the cheapest and best. Irvine and Kilmarnock have a couple more I am going to visit. Another day of sightseeing :joy:

@Snowbird I think the prices in Oz have shocked us as well. The flooding and non stop rain has wiped out half the country, never in my lifetime seen rain or weather like it. As Crookie has mentioned, like everything, it will eventually ease but on top of increased interest rates, fuel prices etc, it is certainly hurting.

When I used to travel to the UK, I would say it is too expensive for me to stay long. Now, it is too expensive for me to go home! Lol

4 Likes

@Amparo We’re enjoying the same from our garden in Kent - delicious!

2 Likes

As folks that always had to get in the car to shop, we love being able to walk to the grocery store, every few days, to try new things….and don’t get me started on the bakery selections​:heart: I firmly believe I fell in love with Europe 45 years ago because of the German pastries, wurst, and pretzels :wink:
Lidl, Aldi and Sainsbury have been our go-to, but we are just as happy if there is a Tesco nearby. Jumping on a tour bus, we’ve grabbed the 3.50£ grab-go special (drink/meal/snack) many mornings. Or at the end of a long day out and about, the dinner options are also good. Have I mentioned, we don’t cook much in between sits? That’s the price of just a coffee in the US!

4 Likes