What is considered a premium sit, location wise?

Other than NYC, what cities are considered so premium that owners were getting dozens or hundreds of applications and now get the max 5 in mere minutes? What locations in Europe are considered hot spots?

I’m asking because I keep reading comments about how hard it is to get sits in great/popular/premium locations due to the 5 app limit and I thought that we lived in what would be considered a popular European city but we don’t get inundated with well-qualified sitters. Maybe it’s my listing or maybe I think too highly of where I live. :rofl:

I just had to relist our sit for Xmas/NYE because the sitter we booked 3 months ago just cancelled. :sob: I thought it would be fairly easy to refill…who doesn’t want to visit the famous German Christmas Markets?! Plus, Hamburg is spectacular on NYE. But alas, crickets. So where ARE these locations that everyone is fighting over? :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry, I can’t name the popular locations. I do think, though, that those locations attract their fair share of “unsuitable” applications.

There are many people interested in those locations, for various reasons. People rush to apply without reading the listing through because they need to be in the first 5.

1 Like

The holidays are always hard to find sitters for, I can see you have an applicant - hope they’re a good fit! I’d consider your place for sure - it’s a nice listing!

1 Like

London is definitely right up there, plus Berlin, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Paris, Istanbul, San Francisco, Sydney. Those would be a few we see go super fast. Fortunately we don’t want many of them - we love Hamburg BTW but are already booked for Christmas :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I think any South East Asian country is up there as premium. I am only in Australia but find it impossible to get a sit anywhere there since the “five”. I got a message yesterday that one of my favourite sits was advertised, I was in within seconds and already reviewing applications :weary:

5 Likes

Munich, Paris, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, London, Milan. It’s unfortunate that your sitter cancelled. I’m sure you will find another in time.
I looked at your listing and the pets look sweet and easy, and your home is lovely. The one thing that would keep me from ever applying is your insistence on a valid driver’s license and being willing to drive in Europe in case a pet is ill. As someone who lives in a relatively small suburb of a medium sized German city, I have not found driving to be necessary. For the times we’ve needed a car, we just called a taxi. For regular transport, public transit has been just fine.

2 Likes

Barcelona, Paris, London, Prague are the first ones I think of. Dublin goes very quickly also.

2 Likes

Besides cities mentioned, proximity to the city center matters to various folks, especially if they want to see the Christmas markets, holiday festivities and such. If you’re in a suburb, that might be less appealing to some.

Personally, I’d rather not take public transit to and from the suburbs, especially with cold weather and short days in the winter.

Also, with a large inventory of holiday sits, some sitters can more easily pick just cats, which usually require less care than dogs.

2 Likes

A premium sit is where the pet sitter wants to be. We are all different so we all want to sit in different locations.
My ideal sit is out in the country with large dogs who want/need to walk but I do like the occasional city break depending on what’s on or if I’ve been there before. Hamburg would definitely be on my autumn list, too cold in the winter.
Fingers crossed you find a great sitter and have a peaceful break.

10 Likes

Yes, we all have preferences, but there are some cities preferred by more sitters, so those get more applications — HOs from such places refer to the number of applications they get on the forum, for instance. So it makes sense for some HOs who don’t get many (or any) applications to ask, especially if there might be things they can do to improve their results.

@FrauSheri, there have been threads on which sitters have offered feedback for boosting the appeal of sits. Christmas sits are especially competitive to “market,” because there are so many of them vs. the number of sitters who are available. Some ideas that have been shared previously:

• Decorate the house and let prospective sitters know that they’d be sitting in nice, festive surroundings.

• Extend amenities that some sitters appreciate, such as food or the use of a car, if that’s something you’re comfortable with.

• Write more details about what attractions are accessible from your home and how to get to them realistically. Like if you’re X blocks from a bus or tram and it goes right to the Christmas markets, that would be helpful for prospective sitters to know. Without that, most sitters will not do a bunch of research into a potential sit, especially when there are plenty to choose from.

• If you can arrange for help, like a dog walker for an afternoon or such, that can free the sitter for a bit more flexibility for seeing sights or such.

Those are just some possibilities, for example. Ultimately, some sits won’t get picked, simply because sits outnumber sitters for the holidays. Some sitters, like me, won’t sit over holidays, because we want to stay home or to celebrate with loved ones, so the pool of sitters is even thinner vs. the increase in available sits over holidays.

Some people also try to avoid traveling over the holidays, because the crush can be greater. Travel cancellations can run higher because of weather over winter. Some sits also require sitters to shovel snow to clear sidewalks and such, which not everyone is physically able to do or might want to do.

Personally, even if I were to sit over the holidays, I’d probably avoid anywhere with significant snow and related delays. Or I’d sit pets that don’t require walking in the snow. I live somewhere with occasional snow and I have a dog that resists going into it even to pee and poo. I imagine some dogs are more trouble to walk along those lines as well, and some homeowners might not mention that to prospective sitters.

of the ones I have noticed, premium locations for sits in Europe are Paris, Florence, Venice, Rome, Berlin, Amsterdam, Vienna, London. I would guess also Madrid and Barcelona but I rarely see listings for those sits!

1 Like

I agree with previous posters that it’s less about your location not being premium, even if it’s probably less sought-after than say Paris or New York, and more about the inherent difficulties of filing a Christmas sit. There are so many people looking for sitters for this period and fewer sitters available as not everyone wants to sit over Christmas. Add to that the fact that you are requesting only mature, experienced sitters and a maximum of two people, then you are narrowing the field further. That’s not a criticism, it’s up to you who you want to sit for you and it’s good that you are clear in your listing. But realistically, I don’t think there are many singles or couples who won’t want to see their families at all over Christmas and new year.

2 Likes

Do you offer use of a car, particularly given the comment about needing a valid driver’s license? If not, are sitters supposed to rent/hire a car for the duration? Americans/Canadians and Aussies/Kiwis are likely to have licenses, but Europeans and Ukers? Not always.

Your home looks lovely. The bed right under the ceiling would make me nervous. I don’t think I’d sleep well imagining that I’d whack my head on the ceiling/wall.

I would have jumped at Xmas in Hamburg but I booked a Xmas sit months ago. If you need someone next year, I’ll be there with bells on!

1 Like

3 applicants now :smiley:

I’m sure you’ll get sitters for Hamburg at Christmas. I live in NYC and have a combined membership, and it is super easy to get applicants, but I think I know what is making it more difficult this year to get sitters in other popular locations: Airfare. I don’t know what it is like getting from one part of Europe to another, but right now in the US airfare is high and around Christmas the fares are ASTRONOMICAL. I would love to get out of town for a few days on a short Christmas sit, but unless we find something driving distance or within 4 hours by train/bus, it is not going to happen. US cities like San Franscisco, Los Angeles, Portland, etc all have available easy sits.

We spent weeks trying to land a sit in Lisbon, Portugal. Could barely get our application in when it reached 5.
I would also say popular is where it’s warm when most other places are cold. (people are chasing the sun!)
Cities with good public transportation.
Sits that provide a car (if no public transportation)
Sits with pets that are easy to care for and allow sitters to explore the area (it’s nice to be in a beautiful place with lots to see but if the pets can’t be left alone for more than a few hours it’s less interesting)
Unfortunately, there are MANY listings for the holidays and competition is very tough.
We booked quickly with someone we’ve sat for before.

I’ve been to Hamburg and it IS lovely.
My guess is that 3 months was little early to lock in a sitter.
People’s lives change, circumstances change.
If your sit is in the city, so easy to get there, no need for a vehicle, comfortable home and good access to all Hamburg has to offer - you’ll get sitters applying with plenty of time to feel at ease about your arrangements.
Yes, there are Super High Demand places: NYC, London, Paris & places people want to be - Andalucia or the Cote d’Azur in the cold months, etc.
Best of luck!

Hamburg is nice but not really popular with tourists the way Paris is, or other capital cities. Hamburg is also nicer in the summer than with Christmas. And there are fewer sitters around at Christmas. Also, it is a bit of an exaggeration to call Elmshorn a suburb of Hamburg. You are competing against Blankenese, Eppendorf, etc.

But I marked yours as a favourite. Hamburg is the railway hub that we in Scandinavia almost need to pass through when we are travelling by train. I was on Hauptbahnhof last week. Which I will probably do again next spring or so. Or I cross the Elbe at Glückstadt, like I did in August.

@FrauSheri Your listing shows 3 applicants. I hope you are responding quickly to them and being active in assessing their suitability. You don’t want to chance any sitters moving on because of a slow response. As you know, sitters are in great demand over any holiday season. :slightly_smiling_face: