When leaving a sit, do you leave a gift etc.?

Hi Provence
I see your question about a wee snippet has been answered.
Us Scots use the word “wee” a lot instead of “small” but we have other great words for a small amount, one of my favourites is smidgen and that could even turn into a wee smidgen. :grin:

2 Likes

We also use it in Northern Ireland

1 Like

aye. lots of words travelled between the 2 places Ulster/Scots is I think, a recognised language.

2 Likes

Ulster Scots is popular in the area we live in.

1 Like

Always! It’s my way of expressing gratitude for the privilege of enjoying my clients’ home and pets. I do a thorough cleanup of the house unless they have a cleaning service already setup. I do the laundry of all towels and beddings. I prepare a meal with their own ingredients (in case of allergies), with instructions on how to reheat. I buy basic groceries (bread, milk, eggs, fruits). I buy a bouquet of flowers with a thank you card. I’ve purchased toys for the dogs under my care. Sometimes I’ll leave crocheted items for the kitchen or colourful placemats. – It doesn’t take much, but it does make a difference in how the homeowners feel upon their return home.

3 Likes

We often bring some small typically Canadian gift, like Maple Syrup, when we arrive. And depending on the situation/timing, I will make a meal or a batch of cookies for the family to have when they arrive home.

We are almost always treated to a lovely meal on our arrival, and some owners have brought us a gift home from where they had visited. It’s always appreciated.

3 Likes

Our biggest priority is to leave is a clean home and happy pets! I also like to make sure the homeowners return to an easy meal, whether it’s something I’ve cooked or a few staples I’ve purchased for them. We also usually bring a little something from Canada, like maple syrup and leave a card with a handwritten note.

When I left a longer term sit last March toiletries were in scare supply due to the pandemic - along with the above, I left a pack of toilet paper with a big ribbon on it!

9 Likes

@Brigitte Do you have the recipe of these lovely treats? I’d really like to have a go at making these as a pressie for a repeat sit next month. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

@HousesittingMag : This is the receipe of Cookies

6 Likes

I tend to leave a thank you card and a small gift as a token and depending on the situation I buy in or prepare some food for their return.

4 Likes

As I am very happy to have been chosen for a site, I do not arrive empty-handed. I bring specialties from my region like chocolate, macarons and sometimes other things like sheep cheese. During the sit, a small toy for the pet(s)and always lots of hugs. And, at the end of the sit, I cook a meal or acake and sometimes another small gift. I had the pleasure and surprise that the owners bring me a gift from their vacation spot and if they ask me to arrive the day before we share a meal
Often some time later I send magnets with pictures of animals (because I love to take pictures)

4 Likes

Its nice to be nice

4 Likes

I’ve left a flowering plant a few times. And I’ve started sending a picture postcard of the pet a few days after I leave using one of the online photo card services. Just to say thanks.
Some great ideas here.
My first sit, the host left me chocolate and a bottle of wine which was very nice.
tom

5 Likes

The picture postcard is a nice touch, I might have to borrow that idea!

1 Like

I’m a bread baker, and unless I see evidence a homeowner is gluten-free, I leave a loaf of bread. If they left me a bottle of wine or a bouquet, I leave them one if at all possible. I’m not sure about branded merchandise…as a homeowner I’d assume the sitter got it for free, for sure. But if it was something really useful…maybe a collapsible travel water dish that could be thrown into the trunk?

4 Likes

Hello, owners!

I’m wondering - have you received any thank you gifts/gifts of appreciation from your house sitters? If so, what have been your favorite gifts? Or, do you prefer gifts left for your pets? I read somewhere about a house sitter leaving some freshly cooked meals - but unless there’s disclosure of any restrictions, that feels uncomfortable to me.

Thanks!

Hello @kristav and welcome

I have been house-sitting for several years now and have never left a gift for an owner.

At the beginning of my sitting career, I received many gifts from owners such as a crate of wine, bottles of wine, a book on the local area, bedding plants, tickets to a local adventure park, boxes of chocolates, biscuits, toiletries, the use of their holiday villa in another country and more.

I have been extremely grateful for all of these gifts but the owners wanted to give us a token of their appreciation for all of the work and responsibilities that we carried out in looking after their house and pets safely while they were away relaxing without worry.

However, over the past few years, this has changed to many sitters giving a gift to the owner as an appreciation of them staying rent free. It is not rent free as it is a working stay and the owner has saved hundreds of pounds on kennels fees. Also, we own a home so have our own expenses to meet.

I don’t mind not receiving these gifts anymore as looking after the animals is a gift. I am simply stating the shift over the last few years and I feel uncomfortable with any owner now expecting a gift.

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I’m newer to housesitting and appreciate your experience and insights.

I guess my first question should have been if owners expect a gift. I’m assuming that most don’t, but I would like to leave some token of appreciation. Depending on the location, the housing cost may far exceed the cost of a sitter.

1 Like

Hi Kristav, I don’t understand your “Depending on the location, the housing cost may far exceed the cost of a sitter.” The sitter doesn’t cost anything and the housing cost is what it is, with or without a sitter insitu.

1 Like

My phrasing was off - my point was that if an owner was paying for a sitter (not from this site), that cost would likely be much lower than what the sitter would be paying for a place to stay, for example. So in bigger cities, I may pay $200/night for an Airbnb, whereas an owner might be looking to pay $40/day for a pet sitter from another source.

1 Like