When leaving a sit, do you leave a gift etc.?

I have left flowers and a card and I put that it is from the pets on all my sits
I always try to include a wee snipet of something in relation to the pet and that the owner(s) have been missed.

2 Likes

what is a wee snipet ??

1 Like

Wee snippet=a small amount

1 Like

thanks

(I’m obliged to write a longer message as THS imposes more letters than 6

2 Likes

Hi Provence
I see your question about a wee snippet has been answered.
Us Scots use the word “wee” a lot instead of “small” but we have other great words for a small amount, one of my favourites is smidgen and that could even turn into a wee smidgen. :grin:

1 Like

We also use it in Northern Ireland

1 Like

aye. lots of words travelled between the 2 places Ulster/Scots is I think, a recognised language.

2 Likes

Thanks. I improve my english/Irish/scottish

2 Likes

Ulster Scots is popular in the area we live in.

1 Like

Always! It’s my way of expressing gratitude for the privilege of enjoying my clients’ home and pets. I do a thorough cleanup of the house unless they have a cleaning service already setup. I do the laundry of all towels and beddings. I prepare a meal with their own ingredients (in case of allergies), with instructions on how to reheat. I buy basic groceries (bread, milk, eggs, fruits). I buy a bouquet of flowers with a thank you card. I’ve purchased toys for the dogs under my care. Sometimes I’ll leave crocheted items for the kitchen or colourful placemats. – It doesn’t take much, but it does make a difference in how the homeowners feel upon their return home.

1 Like

We often bring some small typically Canadian gift, like Maple Syrup, when we arrive. And depending on the situation/timing, I will make a meal or a batch of cookies for the family to have when they arrive home.

We are almost always treated to a lovely meal on our arrival, and some owners have brought us a gift home from where they had visited. It’s always appreciated.

2 Likes

Our biggest priority is to leave is a clean home and happy pets! I also like to make sure the homeowners return to an easy meal, whether it’s something I’ve cooked or a few staples I’ve purchased for them. We also usually bring a little something from Canada, like maple syrup and leave a card with a handwritten note.

When I left a longer term sit last March toiletries were in scare supply due to the pandemic - along with the above, I left a pack of toilet paper with a big ribbon on it!

7 Likes

@Brigitte Do you have the recipe of these lovely treats? I’d really like to have a go at making these as a pressie for a repeat sit next month. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

@vanessaanderson : This is the receipe of Cookies

3 Likes

I tend to leave a thank you card and a small gift as a token and depending on the situation I buy in or prepare some food for their return.

3 Likes

As I am very happy to have been chosen for a site, I do not arrive empty-handed. I bring specialties from my region like chocolate, macarons and sometimes other things like sheep cheese. During the sit, a small toy for the pet(s)and always lots of hugs. And, at the end of the sit, I cook a meal or acake and sometimes another small gift. I had the pleasure and surprise that the owners bring me a gift from their vacation spot and if they ask me to arrive the day before we share a meal
Often some time later I send magnets with pictures of animals (because I love to take pictures)

2 Likes

Its nice to be nice

3 Likes

I’ve left a flowering plant a few times. And I’ve started sending a picture postcard of the pet a few days after I leave using one of the online photo card services. Just to say thanks.
Some great ideas here.
My first sit, the host left me chocolate and a bottle of wine which was very nice.
tom

1 Like

The picture postcard is a nice touch, I might have to borrow that idea!

1 Like

I’m a bread baker, and unless I see evidence a homeowner is gluten-free, I leave a loaf of bread. If they left me a bottle of wine or a bouquet, I leave them one if at all possible. I’m not sure about branded merchandise…as a homeowner I’d assume the sitter got it for free, for sure. But if it was something really useful…maybe a collapsible travel water dish that could be thrown into the trunk?

2 Likes