Where have the HouseSits Gone

I’ve actually received unsolicited Nomador invitations (including one today) that have been written in French, even though my profile is in English. Some, I can make out enough to guess accurately even though I don’t read or speak French. Others, I’ve used Google translate on. Personally, I wouldn’t apply for sits that aren’t written in English.

I am very experienced with cats as I have had them or been around them all my life. My mother was a breeder of persians. I have looked after quite a number of cats with THS and not ever had issues like this. I did know they were rescue animals, and I did know that one of the cats had recently “sprayed” on the lounge curtains. I wasn’t expecting diarrhea on a regular basis, nor was I expecting to have my belongings urinated on as that has never happened before. It looks like this cat does not use the kitty litter, as I know how wet it should be from 2 cats, and I have seen wetter kitty litter with just 1 cat.

Well-bred Persians and rescues with health and behaviour problems can be worlds apart. Rubbing an animal’s face in their mess doesn’t really teach them anything either.

If anything, it sounds like the owners should have set up more litter boxes given the number of cats and and not glazed over the fact that their cat is not house trained (maybe it used to be but it clearly isn’t now). @Maggie8K did make a sound point which is that if a cat peed on one of my
Things, they would no longer have access to any of my stuff and I would probably isolate it a bit until I could figure out a resolution and closer all the doors to the extra spaces especially those with carpet and soft furnishings.

Regardless, I hope you write a very transparent review about your experience so that others don’t go in blind. It sounds horrible! So sorry to hear about your suitcase and laptop case!

Getting back on topic…The review window does close very fast. I just listed dates for our place (Budapest) for a sit end of next summer and it paused after a maybe a couple hours due to reaching the 5 applicant limit. I rejected one immediately and will look at the rest more closely over the weekend (I’ve responded to the remaining applicants so they know the timeline). But yea… @Avatuidiego makes a really good point…it sucks to have to reject literally everybody in order to see anyone else as opposed to just asking for more time. Our location and profile are solid enough and this date is early enough that I know we don’t have to worry about more applicants coming in later but it’s not fun that it’s forced and for such a small number at a time!

I really wish this limit could be revisited. @Carla is there any thought at all to rethinking the 5 applicant limit, whether that be to either at least increase the number or remove the limit or altogether?

3 Likes

Hello @bakindoki there are no plans to change it at the moment. If there are ever any updates about it we will share it with you all. Please feel free to continue the discussion on this thread :smiling_face:

Gosh. We would have applied for your sit. I thought we had all the Budapest sits favorited but nothing came through on my alerts. at all :frowning:

1 Like

Just sent you an invite so you have us on your radar. No pressure to actually apply. X

2 Likes

@bakindoki :person_raising_hand::person_raising_hand::person_raising_hand::person_raising_hand::person_raising_hand::rofl::joy::joy:

Does anyone think that there is an impact of private invites for repeats sits on what is available/not available?

1 Like

Realistically yes probably a bit. A lot of my regular sits start on THS (or another platform) and after one or two dates organised over the platform owners just end up arranging things with me directly. Those are sits that will never be advertised and never show in anyones’ search. I’m no longer at the stage where I need every feedback possible so I don’t really mind and generally after a successful sit both parties can trust the other to act in good faith so there is less risk.

The cat is 12 years old and way beyond that. I have not done this and even a small bottle of water to deter him isn’t of assistance. So how would you retrain a cat that is urinating all over someone’s else and all over your luggage?

And I have already been communicating to Admin and the Owner about the situation. The Owner is well aware of the issues!

I am very hesitant to contribute to these forums and will not be contributing any further in future.

Hello everyone

This discussion has gone a bit off topic, and the OP has also said that they don’t want to contribute any further, so I’m closing the post to new replies.

Also, just a polite reminder that it’s against our ToC to promote other services which includes asking for and providing referral codes in public posts. As per our Community Guidelines about moderation, we’ll remove those posts.

Thanks!

Jenny