Who's on a house sit now? How's it going?

We are in the UK and know we are fortunate to have do many lined up. Two of them are dependent on people going overseas (Portugal and the USA) so we are keeping everything crossed.

4 Likes

Portugal should be good to go now judging by latest info. Seems like the UK is really opening up again for everything. Great news for our UK based house sitters, owners and the pets!!

2 Likes

Not on sit at moment but got one lined up for June (repeat sit) been lucky this last year to have had a number of regular sits still go away and all expect one are in my own town. By the time the next one comes round I’ll have had my first shot and am hoping to be able to get the 2nd earlier than planned as I have a happening in the UK which has already been moved over two years now.
So been lucky during this weird time to still be able to look after all my furry and feathered friends. But really looking forward to trying out for a sit in the UK again, was actually lucky to have done a sit twice in my old home town ( left 43 years ago this year)

3 Likes

Hi @lifephasenext Vancouver Island is amazing, have you been there before? I lived in Nanoose Bay, near Nanaimo for 5 years … everyone who visited was amazed at the size of the Island and the complete contrasts of coasts, east to west and north to south also the weather, the most temperate climate in Canada, it is indeed stunning and certainly lives up the the BC Tourism description …

“British Columbia the most beautiful place on earth”

Enjoy, as I know you will and send pictures … safe and happy travels.

5 Likes

Hi @Maggie congrats for your June sit, there are many more coming to the site everyday now that pet owners have the confidence to travel again, we have all adapted to manage our travels in the best possible way.

Our community are missing our furry and feathered friends but how wonderful that you have been able to enjoy your pet connections through it all. Like many I have not been on a sit for many months, over a year in fact … pet withdrawal passed a long time back and has now been replaced by pet “obsession” … any and every pet/wildlife program, movies, books, videos with a “I remember that feeling” hopefully my first sit is not too far away.

Pets People & Places … part of a pet sitter’s DNA

Have a wonderful sit in June and thank you for being part of our community and our forum.

BTW which is you “old home town”

3 Likes

Hi Angela My old home town is Morecambe/Heysham in Lancashire with beautiful views across the Bay of the Lake District.
Hope everything starts to clear itself up as we continue along this year and that you get to refuel your looking after pets addiction once again. Yes I have been really lucky with my regular sits. Have really helped me out this last year

4 Likes

Hi Maggie … sounds idyllic, thank you for sharing.

I hope we can all get back to enjoying our amazing lifestyle we’ve all come to love.

Travel safely.

2 Likes

Hi @Angela_L As born-and-raised Vancouverites, we have spent time over the years on Vancouver Island and many of the Gulf and San Juan islands in it’s vicinity visiting family and friends and even kayaking among the smaller islands. Just the ferry ride over is enough to tell you how special it is. We were able to fit in a couple of weeks in our van last summer exploring the northern part of the island where we hadn’t been before. Our sits there, past and future, give us the time to really poke around and explore smaller areas deeply, which we love to do. We have friends who are building a home just around the point from Nanoose Bay this year so we can’t wait to get there and see it.

3 Likes

Our last house sit was in our own city just prior to moving to another city within our province. So really looking forward to going further afield when restrictions lift!

3 Likes

We are currently doing a 5 week sit for a dog and cat in Hawaii. Flying here was interesting as we had to have a negative covid test within 72 hours of boarding the plane and have the PDF downloaded and a subsequent QR code to show at the airport. We did it and are enjoying the beautiful weather.

6 Likes

Local domestic sits have been our only way of keeping our house sits going… Glad you’ve managed to do the same and fingers crossed for you being able to resume your travels soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

What an awesome location to be sitting. The testing certainly adds a new perspective to travel logistics and planning, but well done for getting there, and how lovely to have 5 weeks to enjoy in these beautiful islands. What pets do you have?

That’s amazing and you are so right, the ferry ride alone gives you the feeling that you are heading to a very special place. I was lucky and privileged to witness the most incredible Orca sighting on one of my crossings.

Housesitting allows us to experience places in the most authentic way, truly as a local we are so lucky and while COVID has closed international travel for so many it has encouraged us to discover the opportunities and beauty in our own “back yards” … you have an amazing yard which I hope many will have the chance to see.

Thank you for sharing and taking my thoughts and memories back to the Island and to beautiful British Columbia.

1 Like

UK based. Not on a sit currently but have one lined up for next week & have several more booked through to October. All our bookings are UK based.

4 Likes

Think we will be sitting within the UK for a while
Things change so quickly with this virus

1 Like

That’s great news @mebarn, so many sitters are discovering wonderful opportunities without having to leave their own “back yard” that’s what is so special about our pet and house sitting lifestyle … pets, people and places (near and far)

Thank you for sharing … have a great #Caturday :heart_eyes_cat: :wink:

We’re not on a sit currently but have just confirmed one for the school half term holidays in a couple of weeks time. Only an hour and a half’s drive away from home in the UK. It will be so nice to have a change of scenery. Our last sit was July last year, so we’re glad to finally have something lined up.

1 Like

Hi Debbie, so good to hear you will be getting back to a house sit! Will this be a family house sit for the half term hols? It must be a relief to finally see the UK opening up again. Enjoy your sit and do share how it goes.

2 Likes

We are outside Albuquerque New Mexico for about ten days with two dogs and a cat. Being still stuck in the US but vaccinated, we are booked into October in the southwest. From mid-October to mid-April 2022 we are wintering south of Tucson AZ and taking a break from sitting. During that time we will see how the pandemic is going and decide if we want to sit and where we can go. Getting back to the international scene would be marvelous!

4 Likes

@Vanessa_A Yes it is a family sit with my husband and 2 sons. We’ll be sitting for a family with children of similar ages to ours, who are using THS for the first time.

3 Likes