Who's on a house sit now? How's it going?

@RadarInc why do you think we escaped to the UK for their summer??? Being Victorians we know exactly what you’re experiencing right now in Melbourne!

1 Like

I’m guessing the HO has umbrellas for you!
After the heat here in the UK I was happy for a morning of rain here in London!

@Grandma, apparently no rain tomorrow and on Sunday … then back to “normal” … wish I was in Melbourne, FLorida :wink:

1 Like

@temba, Don´t blame you :wink:
Australia wasn´t even my plan right now. Japan was. Unfortunately, they haven´t opened yet to individual tourism, thus, I ended up in Australia.
I knew about the winter in Australia but nobody told me about the never-ending 24/7 downpour. Had I only known I would have gone to Brisbane first and slowly make my way South. Too late now, I guess

@toml , They do - “in bulk”, Seriously
No problem with a bit of rain here and there but neverending downpour is something else.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:sweating.

1 Like

I grew up in New Orleans and we would have times like that as well or summertime when we would get a rainstorm every afternoon from 3 to 6 pm.
But with the weather changing as it is we can’t really be sure of anything. Hope your sit, at least isn’t getting flooded.

Talking about the devil. This message has just popped up on my screen

flood

Cat sitting en masse in Essaouira, Morocco - six feline beauties. Tuxedos & strays, all with fabulous names - BatCat, MiniMi, Robin, Soucio (Grubby), Lalla & Freddie Mercury. A pretty magical place to house sit.

Home of the blue boats…

And so many beautiful doors…
Been here two months, leaving in two days and onto Turkey…

12 Likes

I have sooooo many doors - might have to add to that thread. Thank you :star_struck:

@RadarInc we lived in Sydney for 5 years - one month, it was a March, it rained EVERY day that month. We later moved to Gold Coast and recently it has been raining a lot there as well, and I mean a lot…so yes, it’s hard to predict.

@Romana
I thought you meant pot plants, as in legally grown marijuana. Not plants in pots!
When I lived in Minnesota I had an old apple tree in the yard - apples when I could get them weren’t very good so they got composted.

Yes, @toml , I understood your hint before already, I know the “other” meaning of “pot”, too! Which actually raises the question: What would you do if you came to a house-sit and you found such an (illegal) pot plantation business there?

So I have arrived at the next one. The description of this house sit in the Birmingham-Leicester area would have certainly scared some other sitters off

: five big dogs of breeds known for their aggression potential against strangers and their protectiveness of their territory…an old lady shepherd with bladder incontinence…a mid-age huge male suffering from epilepsy…two still naughty pups…and a strong leader male protecting them all - certainly not a pack for the faint-hearted. But read on and look at the last pictures, too! When the owners wrote that their home was an “upgraded pub” I did not expect this … for some, like me, this is pure bliss!

6 Likes

Why not make the best out of it and take it to the utmost extreme? Instead of waiting for warmth and sunshine (well, it’s winter in Australia now!) rather go to the ICE BAR - it is in a Melbourne shopping centre hidden behind a normally looking restaurant, but you can certainly find it on Google. There, they will wrap you in Antarctica-fit boots and clothing and put you in a room so cold that you can sip your cocktail from glasses made of pure ice. Of course, you sit on ice chairs, too. A very unique experience! After that, book an encounter with the penguins in Melbourne Aquarium, and you will have unforgettable holiday memories.

1 Like

Wow, they look scary!

@Romana - wow, 5 GSDs. I sat 1 big young male in Royal Sutton Coldfield last week - probablly 40 kg along with a 25 kg siberian husky who was clearly the alpha dog. My first up close experience with a GSD and he was delightful. HOs said he was good off lead but I was reluctant to test it out. We met another GSD on a walk and Maverick was great with him.
5 of them is a lot of dog.
As to the other - if not legal, don’t know. I did a sit in a place where it is legal and there were a few pots to water - other pots and pot pots and I watered them.

3 Likes

Wow, hats off to you @Romana - not very many sitters would have taken on that challenge. They are gorgeous, enjoy!

@RadarInc that’s Melbourne! Well known for it’s 4 seasons in one day reputation. Eastern Australia is currently in a La Nina rain pattern. We’ve had our wettest winter for many years after a wetter than normal summer with floods and a wet autumn and winter and the rain is expected to continue through to the end of the year. Unfortunately that’s climate change at work. We’ve recently done a 4 week sit on a farm an hour outside of Melbourne and it rained every other day and was very cold which we expected. We rugged up and got outdoors anyway to explore and walk the dog. Yes, we got wet and cold but a hot cuppa in a cafe or back home fixed that! We came home to sunny Queensland, enjoying being at least 10 degrees warmer, and now we have a week of rain after some fine days but that’s life.

1 Like

This is what I keep hearing. The worst winter ever. We had a lovely weekend: Sun and no rain. This is about to change though … rain is on the way back, any minute now.

Oh no, I was ready to leave last Friday but the promise of a sunny weekend has kept me here. I´d so love to make it to Sydney and Brisbane not “next time” but this time around. Once I leave there may not be “next time” … sniff sniff

Sorry to hear you are not enjoying wet Melbourne @RadarInc. It’s an interesting place.
There are some great free things to do to get your mind off the weather. Have a look at this link for inspo…