Withdrawal symptoms. Any support meetings for housesitters?!

So our calendar is mostly full for the next six months but I’m constantly looking at upcoming sits. Is there a support group for sitters? :rofl:

(edited by Forum team to ensure post and title meet Community Guidelines)

3 Likes

Hi. My name is Ziggy and I’m an addict :joy:

1 Like

Me too, my family has tried interventions but I keep falling off the wagon.

2 Likes

@Oztravels @ziggy @B1anca

It’s good to know that I am not the only one suffering from this addiction , I feel better all ready. :joy:

2 Likes

A problem shared is a problem halved haha

LOL. I’m resisting, but it’s like an all-you-can-eat buffet.

I search for THS sits only sporadically and even less on Nomador and am already booked through October. And I don’t sit during year-end holidays. Plus, I usually tell hosts I won’t repeat-sit, for variety’s sake.

1 Like

Does the forum count?

1 Like

Having lost loved ones to alcohol abuse, including violently, I think this is highly insensitive. And merely removing “AA” from the title does not cut it.

So comforting to know there are others suffering from my affliction. :star_struck::heart_eyes_cat:

@Katie I appreciate your post. I have friends that are in recovery/sober and finding the humor in it all helps sometimes even though they have themselves endured some traumatic events.

In fact there is a comedian who has an entire comedy special on the subject and my friends appreciate being able to laugh at times as to where and how they used to be.

This post is not to engage in a debate about the matter but to acknowledge your concern and present another perspective; there is a continuum of reality and experience.

One person’s experience does not negate the other but each other’s can be true, ok and reflected.

3 Likes

I’m curious to know why people are addicted - is it missing pets, a change of scenery or the challenge of applying and getting the sit? We’ve been sitters with THS for eight years now and I think I’m probably addicted as well. As a retired house sitting couple, I’m the one who looks at the sits and applies and my husband just comes along. He’d probably be quite happy to just stay home and I think we may be coming close to that :slight_smile: I love the interaction with the pets and although we live in a lovely vibrant community, I believe “variety is the spice of life”. I also love the challenge of applying and getting the sit. It’s kind of akin to applying for a job when I was working and the satisfaction of getting the job (the sit)!

5 Likes

Full time pet parent, part time sitter here. Most sits that we want we can’t actually do because of airfare, car rental and other costs. But we like to look. It’s aspirational. And every once in a while we find the one – perfect dates, driving distance or in a place where we won’t need a car, and we’re off.

5 Likes

@Globetrotter. Exactly how I feel.

I totally get this! I have a packed year planned with two non-petsitting vacations, two work travels, and an insane work schedule. I literally have no room (or money) for a pet sit this year, and yet I’m still on the website daily trying to find something that I can make work. It’s an addiction, for sure!

2 Likes

Oh I am just having a blast doing this so far! My family keeps telling me to go slow, make sure I like it before accepting more sits. I have to count days that I’m allowed in the france/spain areas because of restrictions. I think I love animals way more than people. Very content!! :sunglasses::heart:

4 Likes

Hahahaha, I’m glad I’m not the only one!! Definitely we need a group!

1 Like