Would anyone consider a sit like this?

I’m currently only a sitter through THS, and I pay a neighbor to check on my cats while I’m away. This is because I’ve assumed nobody would be willing to deal with staying at my house. However, I thought it would be good to check my assumption by getting feedback from the forum community.

Pluses: I live on 20 acres on a non-ferry-served island in the San Juans, in WA state. My property is inland, but the island scenery is world-class gorgeous. Sandy beaches. Hikes. Eagles, otters, owls. Dark nights. My cats are independent and require no supervision. They are young and healthy, have their own cat door, and no predators or traffic or other dangers. They are affectionate with me, but will probably ignore a pet sitter and just come in at night to eat. Plant watering duties would be light. My truck and bike would be available for sitter’s use.

Minuses:
Off-grid house, which means you have to be constantly aware of battery levels, water pumping, and so on. Limited electricity: No TV, hair dryers, or any appliance that generates heat or is bigger than a coffee grinder. Unless you use my generator, which requires hauling gasoline. No bathroom - only an outhouse (which is open on 2 sides and does not smell bad.) Cold running water in the kitchen sink - - you have to heat water on a stove if you want it warm. No bath or shower currently set up, though you could bring some type of camping shower. No washing machine – just a big laundry pot to put on the woodstove… I do have a decent propane kitchen stove and oven, and a fantastic soapstone woodstove which keeps the house very warm. Good internet, enough for Zoom calls or movie watching. Cell phone reception for some carriers, not all. Refrigerator is tiny, freezer only available for the 4 months of the year when solar energy is abundant. Fragile off-grid systems can fail, and a sitter would have to be willing to deal with that. (I’d pay, but payment is not usually the hardest part).

Remoteness: You can reserve passage on the mailboat 3 days a week to Orcas Island. Or 1 day a week on another boat to San Juan Island. There are no stores except for farm stands here. Mail and UPS arrive 3 days a week and there is a post office. There are no clinics or doctors: Medical emergencies are dealt with by island first aid people and airlift helicopters. There is no official fire department, just a volunteer brigade. My house has no locks on the doors. Neighbors can be helpful and friendly, but will ask a sitter lots of questions, since we don’t have tourism here. You won’t have anonymity.

Cleanliness: I’ve been intimidated by all the posts by sitters that talk about cleanliness. I’m an artist and writer living alone, and I don’t have the time to fuss over my house. It’s very cute, but its cleanliness level is that of a garage or workshop or shed. The house systems (inverter, water, electricity) need to be meticulously watched, but the furniture is very old and the surfaces are all a bit beat-up. I would tidy up and sweep before leaving, and the bedding would all be fresh for a sitter, but the floors and windowsills and so on are nowhere near mainland home standards of clean.

Is this a house sit anyone would do?

Admin Notice: Edited to comply with posting guidelines

12 Likes

@Betsy, yes I believe you could find a sitter due to length of sit and beautiful location. There always seems to be someone right for any sit…

Just make sure you list all the truths about the sit prior to posting and then make sure you have a video chat with potential sitters so as to engage and possibly walk through some of the more refined and necessary tasks…no surprises makes for a much better sit for all parties involved.

I would love a sit like this…tranquility in a beautiful part of the Country.

5 Likes

We would jump at a sit like this! As long as you’re clear on the pros and cons then there are definitely people who’d relish a sit and experience like you are offering. Now for a visa :wink::raised_hands:

9 Likes

Honestly? Sounds fantastic! You may not have a lot of applicants, but I imagine there will be a small group who would jump at the chance.

5 Likes

I think there are some sitters who would, especially if you were upfront about those things you are concerned about. Honesty and kindness can go a long way.

I would be absolutely fine with this sit.

4 Likes

My husband would LOVE this sit. Me… hmmm. :wink: :rofl:

But by your description, I think it would be a truly awesome adventure!

Don’t be shy. Post it! And let us know how it goes. Seriously, it sounds like a unique sit. Go for it!

5 Likes

@Betsy , Note THS’s money-back guarantee. You have nothing to lose if you want to give it a try.

What is the Money Back Guarantee?

Our Money Back Guarantee reflects the confidence we have that you’ll find a great sitter and sits.

With our Standard and Premium Pet Parent memberships - if you do not receive any sitter applications within 14 days of posting your first listing, you’ll receive your money back with no strings attached.

To qualify for the Money Back Guarantee, you must publish your listing a minimum of 14 days before the start of the first sit.

With our Sitters memberships - those that are based in the UK can receive their money back if they have been unsuccessful in confirming a sit within 14 days of making their 5th application.

To claim your Money Back Guarantee, or if you have any further questions, please contact our Membership Services team.

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone. I feel very encouraged! No immediate travel plans, but I’ll definitely change my membership and post a listing for my next long trip!

10 Likes

@mars Thanks, I didn’t know about that guarantee. Although I might get applications from optimistic sitters who wouldn’t quite be suitable. It’ll be an interesting endeavor, anyway, to see if it works.

6 Likes

You wrote: “Although I might get applications from optimistic sitters who wouldn’t quite be suitable.”

You will need to do thorough video chats with people who indicate interest. Have a specific list of “experience-based” questions ready to ask and accept only those responses in which they can prove experience dealing with your home’s potential issues.

Before creating your list, think about what specific experience a sitter would have that proves they can handle mechanical issues that might arise. You mentioned solar panels, for example. Have them answer open-ended questions in which they detail how they managed situations/homes such as yours.

That’s the only way you’ll know you’re leaving your home in the hands of someone capable of handling issues as they arise.

3 Likes

It wouldn’t be for me, although wish I could be that brave in taking it on, but am sure it would be attractive to some as seen in the responses here.

1 Like

@Betsy I think one of the unique thing about THS is that you can get these one of a kind type of sits. I have not doubt you could find a sitter that would enjoy the experience. The location sounds amazing!

3 Likes

@KenandMary1998, it’s actually quite interesting to consider the traits and qualifications a sitter out here would need. I wouldn’t necessarily require someone to have direct experience with off-grid house systems, because there are neighbors who would share help and expertise in an emergency. Oddly enough, it would be more relevant to find someone with excellent social skills! Also detail-oriented, physically confident, and willing to deal with the unexpected.
Edited to add: Also experience using a wide range of tools, a willingness to learn new skills, and a certain personal fearlessness that’s hard to put into words. Interesting to contemplate such an interview!

5 Likes

@Peg, thanks! It is amazing, and often not in the ways that visitors expect!

2 Likes

I think the originality and quirkiness of your home would definitely get you your five applicants very quickly.

copy and paste paragraphs 2-5 of this post, adapt slightly then use as your description, add a few decent pics and hey presto!

I’ll eat my hat if you don’t get any applicants. :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

I lived on Orcas 15 years ago and knew a couple of people on Waldron. The San Juans are a dream especially if you’re seeking solitude and nature all around. There’s something for everyone so I’m sure you’d find the right fit for a sitter. Being communicative and clear is key as everyone else has mentioned. How Long have you lived on Waldron? I was a total of 5 year’s on Orcas.

2 Likes

@Catgoddess_99 I’ll DM you

1 Like

Great conversation about your home and its unique nature. Best of luck to you. I know it’ll be a great experience for sitters! :hugs:

2 Likes

How many hats have you got left? :joy::rofl:

1 Like

@Smiley - so far it’s still intact :rofl: :cowboy_hat_face: :rofl:

2 Likes