Would it be considered “invasive" to ask this?

Hello @AmyNJoe

I think that this is a great topic and like with everything in life, each individual has different comfort levels and different outlooks on this.

As many sitters have mentioned they are often happy to show identification just not send copies of it as there are valid concerns for identity theft nowadays.

And respecting those that do not want to show it at all, each person has to feel comfortable and if that does not match with what makes you comfortable that is completely fine and may not be the best match. The great news is this platform gives opportunities for everyone to connect with like-minded members so you can find the perfect sitter or owner for you!

Many sitters have also mentioned they are happy to swap emails, phone numbers, last names, addresses and emergency contacts. So it is about asking up front for what you want (you can add this to your listing) and then the sitters that are happy to supply that can apply. Making it an ideal match all around.

Sitters are not supplied with owner’s surnames, addresses, emails or phone numbers unless the owner opts to put their address in the welcome guide.

Remember it’s an introductory platform, connecting members, so members are free to swap personal details amongst themselves. Plus as previously mentioned the platform is governed by data protection and data sharing laws (please refer to GDPR laws previously mentioned).

Please see our Trust & Saftey page as it lays out how sitters are vetted:

Currently, only the primary account holder completes verifications, so if it is a couple on the site both will not have completed this, owners are also not currently verified, this has been discussed previously and feel free to add any suggestions to this thread:

Some members do have their own background checks and are happy to show you these when asked. I know that I had a full check previously in the UK as part of a previous job and whilst it was still valid would have been happy to show that.

Membership Services can help answer any more in-depth questions about this at support@trustedhousesitters.com

1 Like