20 Cheapest Places to Travel Around the World in 2024

2 Likes

Interesting selection with 50% being in the USA and 10% in Canada! What is not clear from the article is from where in the USA people would be visiting these destinations as this obviously impacts on airfares. Also is it really cheaper to stay in some of these major US cities (hotels, transport, eating out etc) rather than visiting South East Asia for example?

2 Likes

Yes, good points. I take such lists with a grain of salt, but am always interested in which places show up.

Wow, that’s a pretty lousy list. Basically just north America and Iceland?! Really?! Pretty sure Iceland is one of the more expensive places to travel!
Really can’t understand how there is no Eastern Europe, no Balkans, no SE Asia, no Asia at all! Lazy journalism :roll_eyes:

I find these lists very one sided, and many aren’t necessarily highly desirable locations . As mentioned in a previous comment it seems to be primarily the U.S and Canada rafter Than global.

Really??? Maybe Kayak needs to look outside their own USA/Connecticut base to be statistically significant. If one reads how they arrived at these stats, the results are not surprising.

Iceland!! Probably the most expensive country in the world. Look a bit further afield. Laos is one of the cheapest countries I have visited.

1 Like

I loved Laos and you are right it was incredibly cheap.

1 Like

What a weird list. I’ve actually been to three of these places, some more than once and none were inexpensive.

Chicago, Toronto and Iceland

1 Like

I also agree with other comments that Iceland is an expensive destination but I haven’t been there - yet! I live in Vancouver which is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Toronto and Montreal are also expensive. My husband and I have been to various cities in Mexico numerous times and the most inexpensive vacation for us is the all inclusive to Mexico from Vancouver. We couldn’t spend a week in our own city in a hotel for the price of the AI in Mexico.

I was in Iceland in 2012 and it was outrageously expensive then.