A message to homeowners new to the site

Hi @Itchyfeet thank you for being so reactive in that situation. Presentation and quality of listings is something we are continually working on as it really does affect both owner and sitter success.

I sent in one that I found yesterday and when I checked it a few minutes later, it was already removed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I agree Colin. When I saw that I had been tagged, I felt that it was ME being censored.
Thinking of attracting sitters to a listing, I think no - one could agree that pictures of a toilet are attractive. Pics of the bathroom, yes, perfectly reasonable, but not of the actual cistern with a toilet bowl on show! I repeat … why?? !!!

3 Likes

Yes @Myhnabird : Same happen to me : I highlighted one listing with no pic of the interior and few days later it appears as a New one with very pretty pictures. I really hope it helps the owner to find a sitter… and make a happy owner that will have forthcoming listings I can apply to :grin: !

5 Likes

I totally agree. I personally like to know if there is a cafe/bar locally, supermarkets etc. I have had very rural sits before and found it a very long sit when I couldn’t even have a short walk to cafe, bakery or supermarket without taking the car out and driving miles.

1 Like

I care as much or maybe more about what the neighborhood is like. I have seen posts that are in “up and coming” neighborhoods, “gentrifying” areas…that always concerns me, especially if there are dogs that need to be walked at night or if there is only on-street parking. I have only seen one post where the HO was brutally honest about her neighborhood. She said the neighbors were loud and partied a lot…but it was mostly safe. Pass.

I have added some pictures hoping it helps but so far it hasn’t

@Audreychloe Perhaps change your headline to grab attention. No need to say " HOUSE SIT/DOG SIT 2 Weimaraners Encino Home Over holidays’ - when it is obvious that you are looking for a sitter and when and where. Instead, lead with “Wiemeraners in large. modern house with pool and amazing views” or similar.

Also, it isn’t clear whether your dogs can be left alone at all. If they must always have someone with them, that will drastically reduce the number of interested applicants.

3 Likes

I cannot stand that (toilet seat up) in photos, whether it’s on THS, Airbnb, an apartment for rent, or a dating app.

2 Likes

Hi @Audreychloe please check your Direct Messages and emails …

I thought I had the fact that they can’t be left alone (which I cannot change btw)

I’ve applied for sits with no photos if the rest of it looks and sounds good, especially if they have good reviews from previous sitters. I always assume they are nervous about posting pictures online. In my application, I ask for photos to be emailed to me and they’ve always complied. If they weren’t willing, I would rescind my application.

6 Likes

I would imagine that’s the main reason why people aren’t applying. Apart from being unable to see a bit of the area, how do they get groceries etc? Maybe a couple might apply so one person can shop and the other could stay home. Anyway, just my two cents. Hope you find someone!

1 Like

@Audreychloe - I see that you edited the post to allow for the dogs to be left alone for short times. That should help.

2 Likes

I’ve added pics lmk if it’s better now

The dogs can be left for a couple hours I’ve revised the listing to state this
Thanks for your input

2 Likes

Hi @Audreychloe You have listened to the input of forum members, and applied what’s been suggested. As you’ll see from reading forum posts, sitters all look for different things in listings, so it’s difficult to know what attracts people, and what will work. I do think that some areas have many listings for the holiday season, which creates competition for sitters, and that might be the case for where you live. Many sitters, like me, have been booked for the holidays for some time now.

The other suggestion that I don’t remember seeing here is to search for sitters in your area and invite them directly. Sometimes there are capable sitters who live relatively close and who may own a vehicle.

I have a story to share with you. I was a first sitter for a homeowner who insisted that her dog not be left alone because of anxiety issues. As a solo sitter that was a challenge, but the dog loved the vehicle (which they provided) and I had a cleaning lady two hours a week and that’s when I did my grocery shopping. However, after three sitters the owner emailed me saying that she realized she was the one with the anxiety, not the dog. She learned to relax. That may not be the case with you and your dogs, but I just mean that sometimes it’s surprising how much dogs adapt too. I hope everything works out well for you.

7 Likes

Hi @Audreychloe , I had a sit just outside of NYC. In order to go into the city, I would have had to be away from the house for, perhaps, ten hours. The HO was very kind and arranged to have a professional dog walker come twice that day so I could experience the city. I was never gone for more than three hours any other day. If you could arrange to have a babysitter available for the dogs so your sitter can go out on occasion, that would be nice.

4 Likes

Thank you for your response
I’ve boarded them before and one of my girls starved herself snd suffered from a nervous rash right before I was supposed to show her upon my return it was a nightmare - they can be left for a couple hours as I stated in my listing but yes they as do many Weimaraners - suffer from separation anxiety it is common in the breed unfortunately

1 Like

I’m really not comfortable having multiple strangers going in and out if my home as I find that if there is a problem fingers start pointing in all directions plus I think to do so would nullify the insurance coverage that this company provides in the event of an issue

1 Like