Airbnb Responsibilities & Drop-in House Sits

if THS cares, they need to work on quality control.

:angry:

1 Like

@Lassie @LTD @MissChef

Thank you ladies, the listing in question has been referred to the Membership Services Team.

hopefully at some point they will add the flagging functionality. I generally apply for sits in waves so when I do, I open a message to support and drop all the links to the bad listings. but if i were doing it occasionally, i would be much less inclined. but if all i had to do was push a flag button to submit a report, I would do that.

3 Likes

I think this is a great idea. On Craigslist there is functionality to flag and tag listings for different purposes. I’m sure it would be some developmental work to implement, but it could sure be of major value to the community and THS as a company.

1 Like

pretty sure it’s on the list, but the list is long so it’ll likely be a while. :slight_smile:

Agree. I’ve mentioned this before. It it were as easy to flag a problem listing here as it is on FB, I would do it. However, I can’t be bothered to take the extra steps of creating an e-mail, cutting and pasting the listing link, and explaining why I think the listing is a problem. That’s too much like work and I’m a paying client of THS, not an employee.

1 Like

I have just been asked if I would mind helping out in an emergency the airbnb guests at a future sit. I didn’t know there was an airbnb (supposed separate adjoining cottage), it isnt mentioned in the listing. They have only mentioned it now because a current sitter wasn’t happy at being asked to help the airbnb guestd. I am rather concerned at the lack of transparency and that other people will be close by on what is a fairly remote location. Not sure whether to cancel or not. No welcome guide has been published yet so I wonder what other surprises there are.

Well, in part, because that is employment. You’re asking the sitter/guest to be a property manager. Unpaid employment is illegal in the U.S. (stating U.S. law because I don’t know U.K. law).

1 Like

@lou28 this is in the UK. I’ve said no she’s going to find another sitter. Annoying as I turned down other sits because I had this booked. I hope she adds is to her listing so no one else is surprised by this at the last minute.

1 Like

I think it was mentioned earlier, but the UK is one of the most paranoid strict places when it comes to defining illegal work. (I am a Brit who has lived and worked in many countries including the USA and downunda.)

ANY activity that someone else could conceivably get paid for, may be considered as work. Taking care of animals or buildings would almost definitely be classed as “taking a job from someone”, so if you tell immigration officials you’re on your way to a sit you might be denied entry and banned from returning.

I have met people who have been warned at the airport when entering the UK that their blog would be monitored. Any update to it would be considered journalism, for which you need the right kind of visa.

It’s insane, but it’s true.

Managing an AirBnB means managing a business, you can’t even claim it’s “just hospitality”. If you don’t have the right visa for it you could get into huge trouble.

2 Likes

@Wildcolonialgirl if these homeowners have requested this of two sitters they don’t seem to understand THS rules and should be reported to member services so that they can remind them the rules about what is expected of a sitter . (see direct quote below of what a sitter is not expected to do )

“Sitters are not expected to complete any tasks that are considered ‘work’. This includes (and is not limited to) helping a pet parent maintain any business they might have (including managing accommodation rentals) “

5 Likes

@therealchrisgray I have British citizenship so that wouldn’t affect me, but I think its rude of them to mention it now when the sit was booked months ago. They have cancelled now so I hope they tell the new sitter in advance.

1 Like