Any wild bird experts out there?

After doing some quick research, I think this grackle has either an injured wing or a feather cyst. I’ve named him, or her, Hoppy McHoperson because he’s quite capable of bouncing around our yard, with an occasional feather flap. I’ve been using my telephoto lens to check on any progress and, maybe it is wishful thinking but, I think Hoppy’s wonky wing might be getting slightly better…do any bird experts out there want to weigh in?

I realize I probably have way too much time on my hands!

4 Likes

Hi Alice,

I am by no means a bird expert but it might be worth calling WildCare at 415-456-7283. Operators are available from 9am to 5pm, 365 days a year. There was someone you could send these photos to and they could better guide you. Poor thing must be in pain I really hope that something can be done for him/her so it can be rehabilitated. Please keep us updated I’d like to know how it all turns out.

Kelly & The Forum Team

3 Likes

Thanks Kelly. I will call them tomorrow.

1 Like

You’re luckier than i. I managed to save a baby black bird from my cat’s claws, locked the cat , hoped the bird parents would come and feed him (her ‽) when i put it in a basket high in a tree, but no reaction. Took the bird inside, fed him (with a special bird food i bought)

, every 2 hours. But the following day baby bird died… it may sound ridiculous but i was near tears.

1 Like

It’s not ridiculous at all. All we can do is try to help in any way we can. :heart:

2 Likes

Hi @Alice I hope that you have managed to find some information. In the UK the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) has an excellent website full of educational and advisory information.

https://friendsofsfacc.org/wildlife-around-us/

3 Likes

Thank you Angela. The information you sent mirrors what I’ve read, and been told, about injured birds. Catching and containing an injured bird is sometimes more traumatic than the injury.

Hoppy seems to have established a routine in our yard and doesn’t seem to be too stressed. He, or she, appears in the morning and evening for birdseed, finds some worms in the afternoon and visits the birdbath throughout the day. I’m just going to keep an eye on him. We have plenty of shrubbery and brush piles and if I get too close Hoppy very quickly moves to a hiding spot. We shall see how things progress.

Thanks again for the information!

3 Likes

Thank you @Alice for being so kind to the animals that need us. I hope Hoppy heals soon :pray:

2 Likes