Black Cat Appreciation Day - Black Cats Are PURRFECT

Happy Black Cat Appreciation Day :heart_eyes_cat:

Why Do They Need Their Own Special Day?

Black cats are often the least adopted and most overlooked cats in animal shelters, resulting in many of these wonderful animals being euthanized when they can’t find a loving home. Because they are less likely to be adopted from shelters, they need a special holiday in their honor to bring awareness to this issue, and to encourage people to adopt these amazing animals. Black cats are often misunderstood and overlooked because of their coat color. There are several reasons why people looking to adopt a cat are less likely to adopt black cats.

Including one from our Social Media Driven world … They don’t photograph well :pensive:

Here’s a reminder that black cats are amazing and, according to Welsh folklore, bring good luck to the home: “A black cat, I’ve heard it said, Can charm all ill away, And keep the house wherein she dwells From fever’s deadly sway.”

Share some Black Cat Joy today … post your black is beautiful pixs for all of our feline pleasure and in 4 words why they make the best pets …

8 Likes

5 Likes

My boy GREMLIN. rescued as a kitten from the road… with little to no hair… famous at the vets for putting up a fierce fight every time he was taken for his twice a week bath to treat the fungal infection that had made him lose his fur. Now the most handsome of black cats.

6 Likes

Yes we are!

4 Likes

Our last sit in the UK before coming to France was a repeat where we took care of mum and her new all black kitten… he was called Hero as mum struggled at birth and had to have a Caesarean and he was the only survivor. Had so much fun with him for a week … I don’t think anything else happened but cat play, cuddles and building a box castle for him to play in!! Have had lovely update pictures since and he’s really grown but still a rascal apparently !!

Here with beautiful mum…

6 Likes

@Angela_L I have always had a soft spot for black cats ever since as a kid I had a big old tom cat called Tommy who used to follow me to school and he would be sitting there waiting at the end of the day and follow me back home! He was abit of a junkyard cat with a chewed ear and half a tail. He got to a good age but it broke my heart when he went missing…I still think about him. Here are a few photos of lovely black cats.

. I call this one ‘Decisions…decisions’ A lovely little deaf cat called Sam at Wraysbury.

5 Likes

‘Stay there long enough and I WILL have you!’ Fred at Lewes.

6 Likes

‘Siesta time in Spain’ with Sooty.

6 Likes

‘What about ME?’ Samson at Bracknell

4 Likes

‘I can’t believe my eyes…I won how much?’ Billy at Gloucester

6 Likes

6 Likes

I tell you … what photos! the absolute best thing about being in this site so far for me so far is the cat photos! oxygen in the desert!

3 Likes

We’re boarding a regal and petite black cat this week! She has the longest legs and tail!

5 Likes

She looks very special @RachelB … as they all are.

Welcome to our community forum , it’s great to have you join and thank you for sharing this lovely pix.

Angela and the Team

Wow What a beuty :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for this. So sad knowing black kitties do not get a fair deal. Thankfully there are kind folk who love them. Our daughter has a lovely black kitty called Marcie, adopted of course.

1 Like

We are currently on a house sit and looking after a very handsome & cheeky Milo :blush:

8 Likes

I am jealous…

2 Likes

toooo adorable… a celebrity

2 Likes

2 Years Later and it is that time again - Black Cat Appreciation Day.
This is a picture of our black cat Puddy (RIP 2018)

6 Likes