Cakes Of The World

:+1:t2:
 it certainly adds a new dimension to your destinations! :sweat_smile:

Another thought I had and to add to my original post, I love the themed cakes you find at different times of the year
 especially Halloween! :jack_o_lantern:
The cakes above are from Cakenhagen in the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, Denmark. We visited last Halloween and not only are the cakes fab but the Tivoli Gardens are filled with all things Halloween and delicious Glögg which if you haven’t tried before is a traditional Nordic drink during winter and especially at Christmas time which is a spiced, usually alcoholic, mulled wine or spirit.

Here are a few photos of the Tivoli Gardens at Halloween time.

My absolute favourite place to be at Halloween time is in the States, this doughnut above is one of many Dunkin’s in various States that we have visited at Halloween time and this particular one is from a Dunkin in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania but I love strolling around looking at the various Halloween displays like the one pictured below that I took when we visited Manchester in Vermont.

Does anyone else have any “themed” cakes you have come across during you travels from perhaps Easter, Christmas or suchlike?

3 Likes

I don’t have a pic but I was in London for 4th of July once and the bakeries were full of US themed 4th of July cupcakes, which I found hilarious. I asked the lady at one shop if she knew what the 4th of July was about and she just said it was an American holiday. I explained that it was a celebration of US independence from the UK and she started cracking up. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Room service cake at the hotel where I was staying while working over the summer in Chengdu, China, August 2017.

2 Likes

I hear Chengdu is Food Central for Szechuan cuisine. Must have been fabulous.
That dessert is a work of art.

1 Like

The Sichuan food was fabulous! I was working in a university, and the choice of food in the staff/student canteen was amazing - and cheap!

2 Likes

Looks delicious! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is a brilliant thread! Cake lovers of the world unite!
We shall be cat sitting in Yorkshire in the summer, but I don’t fancy a rock cake. I seem to remember all of my cakes at school coming out of the oven as rock cakes, regardless of whether they were supposed to be as hard as a rock or not!

You will have to give the Yorkshire curd tart a go instead
 it’s rather good! :yum:

1 Like

@AllyMac I’m from York originally. I can recommend Yorkshire Parkin if you like ginger cake? And of course the curd tart suggested by @Samox24 - I haven’t had one of those in years as I now live in Gloucestershire.

1 Like

@Samox24 Oooh, I have googled that, and it looks much more tempting!

1 Like

@Debbie I’m not the biggest fan of ginger, but the curd tart looks rather scrummy. If you really miss them I saw that Betty’s will deliver a box of four for £11.40! That’s about a pound a mouthful, so they had better be good!

1 Like

@AllyMac @Debbie I can confirm they are rather good from Betty’s! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@AllyMac As they say in Yorkshire 'Ow much!! (usually accompanied by a firm grip on the wallet)

With the current Platinum Jubilee celebrations I thought I would add this delicious classic English trifle that I had yesterday following the flypast in London. It just seemed very fitting for the occasion and you may be thinking this is not a cake but because this wonderful dessert is made with sponge cake soaked in brandy or cherry it is therefore considered a cake, which then has boiled custard poured over it.
This is definitely a perfect way to celebrate the Jubilee.

The photo below shows cakes served in our local village hall earlier today to continue the ongoing Jubilee celebrations.

6 Likes

We just discovered another amazing cake today called Basque Burnt Cheesecake whilst in San Sebastiån. It was created in 1990 by chef Santiago Rivera of La Viña in San Sebastiån, Spain.

This is the Basque Burnt Cheesecake that we tried today in La Viña Restaurante in San Sebastiån and I can highly recommend you try this if you are ever in the area! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Brilliant entertainment @Samox24!

I’m not a huge cake fan but I do love Indian sweets - barfi is a firm favourite, Kulfi is another and of course the Goodness Gracious Me favourite “rassomalaaaaai”. Not the gulab jam types though, yuk!

This has made me think of a new thread, the antithesis to yours. I’m going to call it “The Worst Tastes in the World” :joy:

@Saltrams yes I have to admit I love Indian sweets too although we did manage to have a lovely English afternoon tea whilst on a trip to Bangalore :blush:

4 Likes

They do it so well in India, don’t they @Samox24? Better than the original. Club sandwiches too. Delicious!

Whilst here in MĂĄlaga we have discovered yet another delicious cake called Torta Loca (Crazy Cake) as pictured below.

In the days when fine pastries could only be afforded by wealthy people, Málaga saw the birth of a pastry called Torta Loca (Crazy Cake), which today is an emblem of Málaga pastries. Thanks to the Torta Loca, in the 1950’s the humble classes, a majority at the time, could enjoy a cake that was original, fresh, creamy and with a touch of colour, which continues to be its distinguishing mark.
As a sweet “hunger-killer” in the post-war period, the Torta Loca was created by a master confectioner who decided to take two rounds of puff pastry and fill them with custard, topping them with orange frosting and a cherry. The famous pastry would be named after a 1954 hit by Luisa Linares and Los Galindos, who sang “Life is better acting crazy “. The recipe has remained virtually intact to this day.

5 Likes