Cakes Of The World

Glory glory Hallelujah! (You’re killing me Sam)

Blockquote “Life is better acting crazy “. The recipe has remained virtually intact to this day."
My favorite recipe. Add it to everything. :laughing:

I love patisseries but I gotta watch my health first… so when I eat a dessert I make sure it’s worth the calories and the negative impact it has on my health :slight_smile:

So far I can only indulge myself in Paris… the standards of patisseries there are unmatchable. However I did manage to find a very good one in London recently, which was unexpected. I guess that’s the fun of travelling - taking risks and discovering rare treats.

1 Like

@Samox24 I agree! I’m from San Diego and we visit Julian often, the apple pie there is AMAZING! It is also a nice getaway from the busy city life, I recommend a visit there to all travelers visiting San Diego.

1 Like

Just discovered these delicious cakes called Mergpypje, whilst in Hoorn in The Netherlands. These yummy cakes have a cream layer and strawberry jam, a marzipan casing and chocolate and are high on the list of Dutch delicacies! :yum::slightly_smiling_face:

@Crookie you must try these when you visit!! :blush:

6 Likes

Today is Mardi Gras, so here is a King Cake! I lived in New Orleans for 4 years, so I sampled plenty of them, although I don’t eat that kind of thing anymore. Purple, green, and gold are the colors of Mardi Gras (for reasons that have long been debated). King cakes often have cinnamon inside, but bakeries have also gotten very creative with all sorts of other fillings – fruits, cream cheese, etc. A bean or, these days, a plastic baby, is often inserted into the cake, and whoever gets the piece that contains it is supposed to make the next cake.

The Mardi Gras “season” begins on Three Kings’ Day, which is January 6th. That season is when you see King cakes, parades, beads, etc. all around the city. Contrary to popular belief, a lot of the Mardi Gras activities are very family-friendly and have nothing to do with removal of clothing! Most locals do enjoy the earlier festivities and get out of town, or at least stay away from the tourist-heavy French Quarter, as the actual day of Mardi Gras gets closer. I used to get a week off school for the holiday! It’s a BIG deal in New Orleans (and other locations, too – Brazil, for example), and when I moved away, it felt kind of like moving to a place where no one celebrates Christmas. (If you happen to find yourself in southern Mississippi, southern Alabama, or eastern Texas, you can often find king cakes and Mardi Gras parades there, too.)

5 Likes

@Greensheep I absolutely love Mardi Gras! … and King Cake! :yum::slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you so much for for sharing this :blush:

3 Likes

I just discovered these yummy Borrachos cakes whilst in Southern Spain.

They are light spongy cakes, drizzled with a sweet sauce of brandy and lemon.
It is a wonderful light dessert to complete a Spanish dinner… Yum! :yum::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Whilst wandering the narrow streets of Rüdesheim we discovered the Art Cafe where you can enjoy a delicious Rüdesheimer Baumstriezel. It essence it is a spit cake which is a European styled cake originating from Transylvania. It is made with layers of dough or batter deposited, one at a time, on to a tapered cylindrical rotating spit, hence the name. The dough is baked by an open fire or a special oven, rotisserie style. Generally spit cakes are associated with special occasions such as weddings and Christmas. This one is called a Rüdesheimer Baumstriezel as it is fired with the locally produced brandy Asbach.

1 Like

Called chimney cakes in Budapest & Prague. We had one with cinnamon but see the tea/coffee thread… I now want one in Asbach :joy:.

1 Like

Chocolate Zucchini Cake :cake:

5 Likes

Hi @Candyapple24 that looks so delicious! :cake::yum:

1 Like

Wow where is that it looks delicious! Had the famous sachetorte in Vienna from the Sache Cafe and to be honest was fairly underwhelmed :pensive:. (Sorry @Samox24 no photo, forgot :joy:).

I have just tried a Rothenburger Schneeballen in Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Germany.

A Schneeball or Schneeballen (snowball in English), is a deep-fried pastry made from shortcrust pastry especially popular in the area of Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Its name derives from its round, ball-like shape, its diameter of about eight to ten centimeters, and its traditional decoration with white confectioner’s sugar. It is also known as a Storchennest (stork’s nest).

3 Likes

They look interesting. I thought it was an odd looking mince pie to start with :rofl:. Do they have anything in them? Did you like it?

Today’s treat was a traditional Czech Honey cake. Very yummy :yum:. I nearly forgot to take a photo so I have added an image of what it should look like before I dug my fork in. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Hi @Shannon no there was nothing in the one I had although some of them do. The one I had was a traditional one. It was nice but I think one with something in it would be nicer!

Hahaha yes we do that from time to time, just remembering to take a photo after we have taken the first bite :joy:

The Czech Honey cake looks delicious :yum:

2 Likes

We just discovered Swiss Biber Cakes at Basel Christmas Market.

This sweet specialty was once called “Birnenzelten,” which later became “Biberzelten,” to end up Biber or Biberli for short. The sweet pastry is actually a kind of decorated ginger bread made from honey dough with a white almond filling.

2 Likes

Whilst in Gruyère I tried this homemade double cream pie of Gruyère PDO which was so delicious! :yum:

Betty’s curd tarts are the absolute best. I don’t think they can be found outside Yorkshire (prove me wrong someone!) and Betty’s do the best.

2 Likes

With Easter just around the corner in the UK you will find the bakeries and supermarkets full of Hot Cross Buns.

Photo on Shutterstock

These are a baked sweet spiced bread which traditionally contains raisins, commonly eaten toasted with butter! Their history can be traced back to Thomas Rocliffe, a 14th century monk who first made the Alban Bun in 1361. This sweet fruity bake bearing a cross on top, was given to the local poor on Good Friday. The traditional Alban Bun differs slightly from its successor the Hot Cross Bun in the fact that the cross is not cut in to the top of the bun with a knife but piped on with flour paste.

You can still buy Alban Buns made to Brother Rocliffe’s original recipe at Redbournbury Watermill which is situated 2 miles to the North of St Albans. Whereas the supermarkets stock Hot Cross Buns for a lengthy time period around Easter, Redbournbury Mill only bakes its Alban Buns and Hot Cross Buns during Lent and Holy Week.

Does your local area have a traditional cake or sweet treat to eat during Easter? :cake::hatching_chick:

1 Like

@Sam_F the ford at Redbournbury was a favourite swimming spot for the dog we cared for on a previous housesit. I had no idea about the hot cross bun connection!

1 Like