Giving sitter use of car.. Addressing deductible issue

I had an extensive look but did NOT find the following question answered:

Do you do any kind of WRITTEN agreement with a sitter who you have granted use of your car to about how the cost of the deductible will be handled in the unlikely event of some damage to the car while in their care/use.

(I’ve seen some that some folks have a ‘verbal’ agreement… )

Yes, I have insurance. yes they are covered, yes they have a valid DL - but if, in the unlikely, off chance, something happens while they are driving the car, there is the issue of the DEDUCTIBLE.

Anyone addressed this specifically with sitters?

Thank you!!!

I’ve only driven an owner’s car during two sits, and very minimally at that. We didn’t have anything written down, but they certainly knew that we would pay the deductible in case of any damage. We also have our own insurance policy and provide that, if needed. I know it varies by location, if the insurance covers the driver or the vehicle itself. So in both cases we were covered (and nothing happened).

1 Like

We did not have a verbal or written agreement. It was such an unlikely event that if an accident were to happen, we would cover the deductible.
I did see this in another post, which may be useful.

Personally, as a sitter, I’d automatically offer to pay the deductible if an accident were my fault. I’d be wary of signing anything, though, because things put in writing can end up being interpreted in unexpected ways.

When you loan a car — whether to sitters, friends, family or others — there’s inherent risk. In many cases, if there’s an accident, your premiums will rise. That’s something that owners should realize before loaning any car. And if you’re not comfortable with that, it makes sense to not lend it.

Of course, in some cases, that might make sits less appealing and limit the number of applicants, but that’s a trade-off that a host might decide to make.

From a sitter perspective, I think there are variables here.

If I was responsible for causing minor damage to the car then I’d offer to pay but if someone hit the car, or the windscreen got damaged or something I wouldn’t expect to have to contribute.

I also like to set a clear expectation for how the car is permitted to be used - ie just to get groceries locally, take dog for walk in an area only accessible by car, or that it may be used to a bit of sightseeing.

I’m not sure I’d be too keen to get into signing a document produced by the HO, or how much legal validity that would have.

I guess it depends how much the sitter wants the sit, and how necessary it is to have a car. Sometimes having a car provided is just a nice bonus, other times it’s necessary for dog care and shopping.